Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok say you have it a tooth or two off on timing?

ok say you have it a tooth or two off on timing?

trying to figure out whether or not we got the 2v in time correct, it isn't interfering but runs like it has a couple spark plugs crossed and it's stinky eggs smell it has stock converters.wondering if it's firing wrong?? will it even run if the timings off??
    Plan b is to finish plan a

Quote Originally Posted by plated View Post
    trying to figure out whether or not we got the 2v in time correct, it isn't interfering but runs like it has a couple spark plugs crossed and it's stinky eggs smell it has stock converters.wondering if it's firing wrong?? will it even run if the timings off??
    Sounds like the converters are junk to me. My 02 ford escape did the same thing popped and cracked like it was out of time and had no power and smelled like rotten eggs. Cut the converter off and it fixed it
    2013 f150 FX4 ecoboost
    95 Lightning-Vortech
    89 Vert-GT40-P Motor, Exhaust, 4.10 gear on Bullets
    99 Baja Outlaw BES 510bbc ATI procharger

that explaines why the converter was glowing

it sounds like the cam timing is off,retarded cam and fuel issues will cause the converters to glow.
    it will run if the timing is off but rough and or doggy.

I had a car I fixed and the converters were glowing. I had the Fuel Canister hooked up to straight vaccum it was sucking raw fuel in the Vaccum. It could be off a tooth.
    I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself...

ok this is what i came up with,i have number 1 up on top dead center compression stroke. Pulled the drivers side valvecover off and the cam sensor is not lined up with the hump on the cam gear. It looks like it's a tooth off from lining up with the hump on the gear and the cam sensor. Should it be lined up?????

Did you install the chains like this..... Hold a chain up in the air by one outside flat mark that outside flat and the one on the other end when holding it up with white paint marks. Do that to both chains. With the motor at TDC line the dots on the cam gears and crank gear up with the marks on the white paint.

Did that twice. Made sure there was no slack in the chain on the straight side where the guide is. The only slack was on the tensioner side. Obviously we turned the motor over after we installed the chains and there was not any interference. The white dots on the chains did not line up after that, but I guess you would have to turn it over a bunch of times to recheck it.......
    2005 F350 6.0 Powerstroke 8" lift 37's
    1987 Notch (4cyl conversion)
    1993 Mustang GT
    1996 Jeep Cherokee 3" Lift (converted to mud toy)
    1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2003 F150 Supercrew FX4

Sounds like it should be timed right. You can allways count the chain links between the dotts also. Could be a Vaccum leak? What was the problem in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Timido View Post
    Sounds like it should be timed right. You can allways count the chain links between the dotts also. Could be a Vaccum leak? What was the problem in the first place?
    bought the car with a bad rod,used the heads and intake on another shortblock. put it together and walawant a side job timmy modmotors are poopie

Where did you get the directions to time the engine?

There is pretty good write up posted here:http://www.daytonstangboard.com/showthread.php?t=5915
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

Wish I lived closer. hope you get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Timido View Post
    I had a car I fixed and the converters were glowing. I had the Fuel Canister hooked up to straight vaccum it was sucking raw fuel in the Vaccum. It could be off a tooth.
    Tim could you elaborate on this? Where does the line connect to? Behind the throttle body?
    2005 F350 6.0 Powerstroke 8" lift 37's
    1987 Notch (4cyl conversion)
    1993 Mustang GT
    1996 Jeep Cherokee 3" Lift (converted to mud toy)
    1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    2003 F150 Supercrew FX4

the f'n valves bent used the heads off the old motor well the old motor kicked a rod #4 sending the piston up letting the valve to meet the piston.. just wish i caught it before the heads were put back on

No shit. That sucks and it means you need another set of head bolts. It might be time to invest in some head studs.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

next question can i pull an intake and exhaust valve out of a non pi head and use it in a pi head? no one stocks replacement valves

The exhaust Valve is bigger in the PI heads. The Intakes are the same though
    Last edited by Brandon Alsept; 03-18-2008 at 11:48 AM.

I thought the PI valves were longer? Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Rob

thanks guys just picked up the head from hucks 2 new valves and the head checked out good.i guess i'll try it again should just put a tree oh two in it lol

I should have told you to check base engine stuff first. Compression and leakdown . Glad you found it though.

Thread Information