Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any one know about oil pumps?

any one know about oil pumps?

If my oil pump is starting to go out, what will happen? Or when they go do they just go? Or will I be able to tell that it is going out before it does?

Keep a close eye on your oil pressure gauge (if you have one that is accurate). If it fluctuates or runs low, make sure you have enough oil. If all else is good, I would say a faulty oil pump is possible.
    Brandon Robertson

Can be either way (unlikely to wear out though), I had a small piece of metal get into an oil pump years ago, it locked up, then broke the oil pump driveshaft, oil pressure dropped instantly. But they aren't metal to metal, there are a lot of variables, including bearings. You can put a cheap autozone gauge on it to monitor it more closely.
    88 gt vert #9 2006 dirty dozen-Tuned by Precision-Autosports
    #12 2007 dirty dozen
    Victorious pinks Crew member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpqFgPYtVo

when it first starts up everything is good but after about 10 minutes when at low rpm's the oil pressure will drop to nothing but if I hit the gas it jumps back up or if I'm driving on the highway at low rpm's it drops and if I hit the gas and gain rpm's it go's up so whats up anyone? I just changed the oil myself and put 5 quarts in there I know there is enough oil.

If your using the stock gauge/sending unit, its not accurate. I had a sending unit show my car had good oil pressure until I hit the gas, then it would drop to nothing when it rev'd. Are you lifters clacking like crazy? My guess is the sending unit is bad.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

ya I can hear a chattering noise and shit

Put a gauge on it, then you will have factual info, it's cheap and easy.
    88 gt vert #9 2006 dirty dozen-Tuned by Precision-Autosports
    #12 2007 dirty dozen
    Victorious pinks Crew member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpqFgPYtVo

I'm thinking its my sending unit I've been on a couple of mustang web sites and every one is saying the same thing I am and they changed their sending unit and everything is good. So I'm going to do the same thing and hopefully everything works out for me. I just plugged the wire on nice and tight the other day when I was putting all back together so I know its not the wire I don't have much money till Tuesday so I'm going to see how much the sending unit is from advance auto parts and it will probably dirt cheap so I can hopefully change the sending unit tomorrow and the gauge on tuesday

My 86 had rubbed the oil sender wire on the valve cover or intake and caused a short to ground and pegged the needle all the way down past the red.I was driving down 275 by colerain.I shut that thing down so fast that the guy behind me almost smashed my bumper.Check the wire and wiring then go buy an autometer mechanical.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    #13 Spring Street car shootout.
    Big thanks to:
    S&M Motorsports tuning and Fab.
    Cincy Speed.
    Hyper-Performance Motorsports.
    Killer Koatings.
    My other place.thestaginglane

I'm not being rude so sorry if sounds like I am but I just called autozone and they have a sending unit for like 10 bucks so I'm going to replace it today and if that doesn't solve my problem then I will check the wire. Now the wire is kinda old and twisted up so I will probably just splice in a new wire and connector if that doesn't work then I don't know. I don't care how accurate my gauge is right now I want all the noises to stop!

Sorry man,but if it's noisy,your replacing an oil pump.And i would do it now.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    #13 Spring Street car shootout.
    Big thanks to:
    S&M Motorsports tuning and Fab.
    Cincy Speed.
    Hyper-Performance Motorsports.
    Killer Koatings.
    My other place.thestaginglane

word I just changed the sending unit and it made it worse now when I hit the gas the gauge go's to 0 and when I let off the gas it go's back up, I'm getting really pissed off at this point and still fucking noisy and when I come to a stop it wants to stall out on me and I hear a squeeky noise if it drops below 1000 rpm's like metal on metal type noise. This sucks I'm probably just going to replace the engine and say forget it!

I would definteley not drive the car if you are hearing metal on metal. I would look into replacing the oil pump promptly. It can be done with the motor in the car but it is not easy....
    Brandon Robertson

If you can hear metal on metal then your way passed just replacing the oil pump
    2013 f150 FX4 ecoboost
    95 Lightning-Vortech
    89 Vert-GT40-P Motor, Exhaust, 4.10 gear on Bullets
    99 Baja Outlaw BES 510bbc ATI procharger

ya I just talked to Andy Law at outlaw motor sports and he said it might be the pick up tube is clogged but I think I'm going to replace the motor and use this one to build up. anyone have an extra 5.0 that runs?

I just went out to move this fucking thing and now it won't start probably the silenoid but who fucking knows I'm so pissed offfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WANTS TO BUY A 1988 Mustang LX it runs not well but won't start for whatever reason I'm sick of this car.

I probably finally locked up
    I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself...

no its not the engine that won't start its something electrical I know that for a fact! its either the starter relay or the terminals on the battery. The plastic thing under the battery is fucked up so the battery pulls on the terminal wires a little bit and the wires are kinda old the connectors are newer but I just need to cut the wires off a little bit replace the connectors and the starting relay you know the little thing that is on the driver side inner fender that both the battery wires go to. I have like 3 cars with 302's and all three of them went out. I've got the shittiest luck on the planet! I know this for a fact! that starter relay is just clicking I can hear it clearly
    Last edited by rsmurf04; 03-28-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Relay will click but the starter wont turn if the motor is locked up.I know that for a fact.Not saying its locked up just saying just because you hear a click doesnt mean the starters bad.
    Drain some oil and look for metal.
    2011 Gt/Cs 1 of 23 Grabber Blue with glass roof.
    3.8 Whipple supercharged, E85, TH400 tuned by Palm Beach Dyno

the metal on metal sound I hear isn't while the car is running just as it shuts off for like 1.2 seconds you can a wer wer wer. Its not all the time either maybe 1 out of six times

Thread Information