Thread: 5.4 3v

5.4 3v

Can you control a 5.4 3v with a 4.6 2v computer? I just read an article in mm&ff about livernois ported 3v heads with comp cams. I read somewhere that with phaser lock outs you could swap into a 2v. I figure 451hp with a 4.6 would make wicked power with a 5.4.
    "If your car is making a funny noise, turn the radio up. That pesky noise will go away." Douglas Barry Pendleton

If the 4.6 made 451hp what would the 5.4 make? I know they are only rated at 300hp but don't remember the torque. I am thinking they would rev higher because of the cam, though not so high as the 4.6. Wouldn't the cam act a little smaller in the 5.4 than the 4.6? Would the intake become a limiting factor on power production? Are there adapters for a 4.6 3v intake on a 5.4 3v? I know there are 2v's. Is there any difference in the 5.4 truck and van intakes?

Lastly how much could one realistically get a 3v 5.4 with under 50,000 miles for? As far as I know the junkyards in and around lexington suck and I've never found anything I wanted for a reasonable price, if at all.
    "If your car is making a funny noise, turn the radio up. That pesky noise will go away." Douglas Barry Pendleton

I could be wrong but aren't the 3v drive by wire? Making it not possible without swapping the computer.

As for junkyards I have always had luck with Bluegrass Auto Parts down on 7th and Chesnut. May take them a few days to get it but their prices have been good.
    I won't go down there when not driving the cruiser but other than that had good luck with them. Though the likelihood of them having a 5.4 3v is slim.

KarKfraft has some out of an F150 for $2500.
    http://www.karkraft.com/new_used_engines.htm (scroll all the way to the bottom)
    Last edited by Black92LX; 11-11-2008 at 09:23 AM.

You should be able adapt a traditional throttle cable and TB to the 3V intake. You may want to contact Logan Motorsports. I know they have all the parts to drop a 4.6 3V in to a 2V car.
    http://loganmotorsports.com/2V_to_3V_conversion.html
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

3v's are drive by wire but the logan kit allows a 03-04 cobra throttle body. They have adapters for 2v headers to fit the 3v. Going to the 5.4 I might have to replace the x pipe with an H and put in a section to get them wider.
    A guy at livernois replied to my questions to them. He mentioned going with a bigger cam and said if you could get adapter plates you should be able to use the new 3v c&l intake.
    The big problem would be coming up with the cheese for the heads at 2800 bucks and I haven't even priced the cams. So If I hit the lottery it will be awesome. Since I'm married, blowing a crapload of money swapping motors insn't in the cards. Boy it'd be bad ass if I was still single though

well with the word of these new trick flow heads for the 2v there may be hope here in the near future for a pretty stout NA2v

I'd stick 2v with TFS heads. They will be the shit.

240 isn't close to over 300 that the ported 3v's flow. But for me its just a wishfull thought. As vividly as I can imagine it I can't spend 2000 or more on heads then more on tuning and wishfully cams since I'd already have them out. I don't know how you guys do it. I wish I knew how.

I think I need to return to my stupid dungeons and dragons geek roots and stop even looking at car magazines. All I get is expensive ideas and I can't even make my wife pay the bills on time.

Well you can't really compare ported 3v to stock casting TFS heads. Nice thing about the TFS heads are less valves = less valves and valve springs to buy.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Lexstang View Post
    240 isn't close to over 300 that the ported 3v's flow.
    I agree with Ken. Also, all n/a motors won't benefit from heads that flow over 300cfm.

Thats exactly what I thought, when I first read this.

If you're gonna do it, do it all the way!

~ JEFF ~

'04 Mach1

a 5.4 3v will make more torque and hp in the usable rpm range and also be lighter and easier to work on.

I read about the heads being put on a 4.6 so I just figured the 5.4 gives more displacement and consequently more power. I figured a junkyard engine would be cheap since they are available in so much. The 4v is only in the shelby now isn't it. I know the navigators are 3 v's.

Thread Information