Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Notchback going under the knife (again)

My Notchback going under the knife (again)

So i've been doing alot of reading and looking into a new setup for this coming year.

I've acquired a 306 shortblock not too long ago and today picked up a few more things.

It started with going to Wakeman Ohio to Buschur Racing to drop off a friend of mine's high 9/low 10sec Evo to get a re-tune on the bigger turbo. He mentioned that he wanted to go to Summit, bad news for me.

I ended up leaving a few $$$'s in debt

I picked up a QA1 K-member kit, rear upper and lower control arms, RHS alum. cyl. heads, rockers, lifters (that i realized they didnt put in the parts so i have to have them ship me another set) and a few other things to get the new motor together.

i still need to buy a trans-brake valve body, converter, and few other small things. The plan is to start pulling it apart tomorrow
    New Setup:
    SBF, AFR heads, Comp cam and Valvetrain, Pro-Systems Carb, Nothing special

Stock...

Just a street car

Rest in peace Dad 6/15/09

*Update*
    I drove it into the shop tonight and started taking things apart. My brother and I got the engine ready and eventually got it pulled out and then got to pulling the dash to get rid of the heater core and blower motor assembly. Im planning on trailering the chassis to my friend on friday or saturday to have the cage finish welded in.

Here's the pics:

New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

*update*
    Took apart the other engine today to get my parts off of it so it can get sold to the guy thats putting it in his car. Then started the K member and coilover install until the whole town lost power.... which sucks. so have to wait another day till its in and i'll get more pics soon
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

*updated*
    We got the OEM K member and front suspension out and getting the chassis ready for the cage and strengthening.
    took out all the wiring out of the car to start making a harness for the whole car.
    the cage and subframe connectors are going on tomorrow.along with cleaning up the engine bay and filling the small holes and getting it all together and hopefully it'll be done by racing season

Pics:

New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

*Update 1/3/09*

So work started on bracing the strut towers that will eventually be tied into the cage when it goes in tomorrow with the subframe connectors being tied to the cage.
    Got everything all done, going to be making the 2nd braces tomorrow that will tie to the cage and cleaning up the engine bay and painting it so it'll look 1/2 way decent. Also went through and did some rust repair on the frame rail, and welded up some of the seams for strength.

Tomorrow's plan is to prep and paint the engine bay, put the k member and coilovers in, and get it set down on its wheels as a roller.

Here's today's progress pics:

New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

Nice work, your car definitely has the sleeper look !!!
    -----------------------------------------
    Scott
    93 Coupe
    66 Fastback

thanks, its been a joint effort with me, my younger brother, and a friend of mine at his repair shop after hours.
    it wont look like a sleeper for long, 8pt cage.. cowl hood... it wont be street driven much anymore.. maybe 50miles a month
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

*update 1/4/09*
    Started off by preping and painting the engine bay, then got the new K member in after fighting with it for a while. im not that happy with QA1, they require you to reuse or buy new hardware for mounting the k member and their coilovers dont come with a replacement bump stop.

i need to buy a set spindles so we can set the car on the ground. a few other little things and the coilover assembly will be going in the car and it'll be getting set down to get the cage
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

Good looking project, I love the look of it.
    Brian

92Coupe

Thanks for the comments. i picked up my camera from the shop (got 1/3 of the way home and realized i left it there) and got some pics from last week

here's all the engine bay all cleaned up, painted, k member and lower control arms installed.

On friday, got the subframe connectors on and started to fit the cage in the car.
    i desperately need to find a set of 87-93 spindles from a v8 car, or find a set from a turbo coupe. as you can see from the last pic the coilovers arent even close to lineing up due to the orientation of the bracket.
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

*update 1/19/09*

So i met a guy who's going to be building my engine yesterday, and it turns out i dont have to buy a set of spindles. He modified a set of stock one's to use the same coilovers on his big block car that run's 8.80's on one of 2 stages of spray and will land alot harder than mine. So i got out the carbide cutter and whittled down a little spot so they clear. Tomorrow (since i dont have class) i'll be out getting it down on the wheels so i can put it on the lift and start on the cage install welding it to the frame/subframe.
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

Oh and i forgot to mention, I'm going a different route for a motor. With how i was planning on building the 306 to building a 351w stroker.

The plan is a forged 408 and try to get the compression to ~12.5-13.5 for spray.

I'll keep updating as progress happens
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

so after grinding the spindles down to clear the coilover/strut assembly, been trying to source parts to work.

i'm going to reuse my power steering rack (without power steering) i had to buy some new bushings so it will work with the new K member.

so the rack will go on tomorrow and it'll go on the car and then we'll push the car over to the rack and we'll get started on the cage and finish the rest of the chassis work.

i'll take pics tomorrow
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

*update*
    So the other day got the front end all put together and got it set as a roller so the work on the cage and the fab work can start. Took some pics of the other parts i had already, but the new converter came in. I'll have enough money to pick up my stroker kit and get it to my machinist. Callies cranks in Fostoria will be doing my balancing for me, my engine builder is in with them and he's going to get me a good deal.
    It needs to be April already, I'm ready to go racing

Pics:

Last edited by A05C; 02-01-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

The shop where we're doing all the work at has an OLD hunter alignment machine that we'll try and get a decent alignment on it
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

nice sleeper. looking good
    89 GT AUTO < WTF WAS I THINKING?

Thanks, i should be picking up the stroker kit in 2 weeks then its off for balencing and engine machining and assembly
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

nice sleeper should be fast wit a 351w

i hope, i'm looking into having my weld's, valve covers, and a few other little things powdercoated.

i really want to paint or powdercoat everything in the engine bay black except for the Cylinder heads (which are aluminum)

I'm also looking for a cowl hood for the car, i doubt a 351 victor Jr, with a plate system on top will clear the stock hood
    New Setup:

Stock...

Just a street car

Thread Information