Thread: 2v mod motor guys SCHOOL ME!!

2v mod motor guys SCHOOL ME!!

ok i just bought my first mod motor car and im pretty much clueless?
    i guess my questions are where should i spend my money for the best bang for the buck
    its a 03 gt auto yes i said auto im getting old and lazy and im on the damm phone so much im loving the auto part
    anyhow i was thinking 410s or 430s the car already has a cai and exhaust
    im really dont care for the exhaust it has a bbk x pipe and flows and its a little to loud so im thinking of changing the x pipe to ???

how well do these cars respond to a tune?
    what gear size?
    is it worth the time and money to do a set of headers?

like i said im lost
    not looking to build a race car just a fun driver
    Fast as fast can be you will never catch the GT!!

Want the best performance you need a 4200+ stall and 4.30 gears. Probably going to need some transmission upgrades too but because you have the best of these transmissions it won't cost a fortune to do. Otherwise I would go with long tubes and exhaust. A good set of cams helps too.
    Alan

get a tune on it clarence,best money i've spent so far hands down
    Plan b is to finish plan a

Quote Originally Posted by plated View Post
    get a tune on it clarence,best money i've spent so far hands down
    i'd go with 410's but it will shift so soon it will drive you crazy,but with a tune it will rip,but don't do 410's with out a tune,tune and gears should be a mid/low 13's easily on street tires
    Plan b is to finish plan a

nice! thats what im going to do
    hey man congrats on the new baby!
    Fast as fast can be you will never catch the GT!!

I like the idea of the 4.30's and the converter. Throw some cams in it with all the usual bolt-ons and it will be a blast to drive.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

You'll need a tune after the rest of the mods. Once you do 4.30's a tune is mandatory with an auto because it won't know what to do.
    Alam

4.30 gears
    Comp 270 cams
    SCT tuner
    Adam

2003 GT, Stock 2v, NA
    270 rwhp/ 310 rwtq (SAE)
    60' 1.63
    1/4 - 12.56 @ 107.34 (Kilkare)

Quote Originally Posted by e5shea View Post
    4.30 gears
    Comp 270 cams
    SCT tuner

With a stock converter and unmodifed transmission you will have a ticking timebomb at the rpms you will be running. You'll need a billet cover and a sprial retainer on the reverse drum to keep it together.
    Alan

Having flows you'll want an H midpipe, they sound better with a chambered muffler than the X.

I'll join in on the chorous as well, best bang for the buck mods on an auto.

4.10 gears
    Tune/tuner
    Stall convertor

On these cars I could be wrong but form my reading L/T's are worth it more once you do allot more mods with some or all of the following....cams, F/I, heads, etc....

And in case you aren't aware, the 2V's bottom end is only good to somewhere around 450 rwhp. Once you start getting close to 450 you're sitting on a ticking time bomb and will need to beef it up with forged internals. But since you're just wanting a fun driver I doubt you'll ever get the far unless you get bit by the bug.
    GONE: 2003 Mustang GT

Current ride:
    2004 Mercury Mountaineer
    AWD
    4.6 V8

Had an 02 - 5 speed before my current. I went with 4.10 and was not at all let down. The car works well with this gear on the manual. A must for seat of the pants noticable changes.

I ran several configurations (each too loud) on my 02 before settling on Bassani high flow X-pipe and magnaflow exhaust (the oval muffler setup not the loud one). Good tone to the car and minimal drone in the cockpit.

Other add ons I did was 75mm throttle body, K/N cold air kit, aluminum drive shaft, and MSD C.O.P. modules, and custom dyno tune from local mustang shop. All helped a bit, but the gears,exhaust, and tune were the big helps. WIth an auto the tune will be even more inportant and help as well.

I wouldn't waste your money on cams.. It's a lot of money for 30-50 hp. Boost is where it's at on these motors. As long as you can keep it in a safe boost range you'll be fine.
    One cam..

Tune for a bolt-on 2V is worthless IMO. Too much money for too little hp. Just invest the money in a supercharger. I would go with 410s since its an auto, 430s may be a little much.

If you do headers, get LTs, no exception, shorties are the biggest waste of money on a 2V , there has been shown 0hp increase and just a waste of time to install them. Its a bitch on the 2V.

Vortech V2@11Lbs -Ray

More importantly with an auto buy good headers. I have an o2 here with gibson headers that are the biggest junk I have ever seen. You can't beat the quality and fit of kooks.
    Alan

Thread Information