Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project, about time!

Project, about time!

Let me preface this by saying this thread is more to help me out, as I will have a million questions. Long story short, I bought the car when I was 17, with my whole life savings. It was an awesome DD, but has been parked in the garage sinc Dec. 2010. I am too attached to part with her and am finally getting to the point to where I am not afraid to tear into things, learning as I go along.

The build is going to be a slow one and on a tight budget. My ultimate goal is to have a fun driver and something that I can participate in a few UMTR races. I have been collecting parts and tools as I go and still need a lot to finish. (The wife has to sign my permission slip for everything I buy)

Here is the car when I was 17, with some sweeeeet American Racing wheels lol.

Last day the car was driven with the v6.

Engine and trans pulled.

89' 302

Freshly powdercoated intake!

How she sits now.

Plans are pretty basic. Using the shortblock and going carb'd. I want to go with a tfs1 cam, 1.6 roller rockers, 650 dp, msd dist and 6al. I have been looking at both Astro Performance and Promotion trans, I want to stick with a t5. Plan on going with an 8.8 with 4.10s. As far as fuel, I want to sump the stock tank, use a Holley Blue fp, and fully braided line.

I am by no means a mechanic, this is going to be a huge learning experience full of trials and errors. I will have a million questions and any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Good start if your going carb'd this shouldn't be hard to do,while u have motor out put a kmember and lighten that thing up a bit,that body style is slightly on the heavy side,have fun with it!
    2015 Gt

This shoud be a fun project!

I am, I have a PA racing k-member with perches. I have been doing my homework for the most part. I don't think it will be too tough. Just a lot of random questions. Such as, can I use my v6 t5 bellhousing with an 87-93 t5.

That is a bad ass looking intake, good luck with the build
    ">

If you can't I have a 87-93 bellhousing
    2015 Gt

Nice build man looking good
    91 Lx coupe, Stock bottom end 5.3, ported 243s, 224r cam, Vic jr, csu blow through, msd 6012, 76mm, th400/brake....

looks like a fun project. good luck

Nice project, your engine and ignition are very close to my setup. What heads are you running?

Very nice project theres plenty of knowledgeable people on here to answer questions
    1990 mustang gt- sold
    new project- ls 6 speed swapped into 94 s10

Quote Originally Posted by mustang_gt88 View Post
    Nice project, your engine and ignition are very close to my setup. What heads are you running?
    GT40P with upgraded springs. Now I need to find roller rockers.

Still have the 5 spoke wheels from the second pic??

Dont sump the tank, just have a fitting welded to the sending unit, using the stock fuel tank/pump/etc. Put a plug and a clamp over the old return... Dont even have to remove the old fuel lines.... done.

Have a return welded into the side of the tank. Use a regulator to exact your fuel pressure and make sure it's a return style to return extra fuel to the tank.

Simple. And you dont have extra fuel accessories hanging LOWER than your tank to potentially scrape the ground. No high dollar fuel pump needed, and no money spent on a fuel pump Just have to get the filter and stuff for it and mount that somewhere under there.

Also, If I am not mistaken, the v6 T5's also had the slightly longer input shafts as the 94-95 5.0 T5's did. You'll need a 94-95 bellhousing. If you can measure the distance from the end of input shaft to the case (not the retainer), I can measuere a fox T5 and compare.

The weight difference is amazing!

Yes I'm sure u saved some pounds there. Did u get tubular controls arms to lighten it up further
    91 Lx coupe, Stock bottom end 5.3, ported 243s, 224r cam, Vic jr, csu blow through, msd 6012, 76mm, th400/brake....

No I didn't. I was planning on using my stock a arms, thats why I went with the spring perches. I am going to search to tubular a arms with spring perches.

Make sure your control arms fit the k member and have a good range of motion! Been there done that on K members that supposedly fit stock arms! Got rid of that one and ended up buying Eddie's (blowpastyou) old AJE k member

making progress, slowly but surely. Learning a lot along the way.

Nice progress
    1990 mustang gt- sold
    new project- ls 6 speed swapped into 94 s10

Very nice! I like those valve covers.

Thread Information