Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you pull bullets outta the casing?

Can you pull bullets outta the casing?

Im getting ready to spread my fathers ashes and just wanted to keep a little for myself and kids. His favorite gun was his .44 Colt Anaconda and I was wondering if its possible to remove the Bullet from the casing without messing it up too bad. I planned on emptying the casing and putting a little bit of his ashes in it and then putting the Bullet back on. Is this possible? I tried taking a couple pairs of pliers to one and it would spin but wouldnt come out and just marred up the Bullet.

If its easier to just buy the Bullet itself, I have a few casings already empty. Just trying to figure this out.
    2011 Black on Black GT

Google bullet puller. $10 tool

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Kinetic bullet puller in the easiest. Bass pro has them.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    #13 Spring Street car shootout.
    Big thanks to:
    S&M Motorsports tuning and Fab.
    Cincy Speed.
    Hyper-Performance Motorsports.
    Killer Koatings.
    My other place.thestaginglane

I use pliers
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for war."
    "Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. But instead, Punishment."

To buy the bullet would require buying a box of them. That would be costly considering you are only after 2 or so. There must be someone on here that reloads .44 cal rounds that could help this guy honor his dad.

It would be much wiser IMHO to use the spent rounds with spent primers. This would help you further distinguish the rounds you have preserved your loved one in from true live rounds.

RCBS Bullet puller, looks like a green hammer.

Honestly, you'd be better off just reloading fresh loads with a fast burning powder.

I have empty casings already. Im not looking to shoot them again so no need to put fast burning powder in them. Im looking to have his ashes in the bullet and have it look like a real round minus the dent in the cap from the firing pin.

I tried the pliers trick and they wouldnt budge. I could get the bullet to spin in the casing but it wouldnt pull out. I wasnt really looking to spend any money as I only have four bullets that need done.

Thanks Black, we lost him back in 04 but his wishes were to keep his ashes around until his widow died and then they wanted their ashes to be combined and spread together. She just recently passed. We plan on spreading their ashes in a spot they both loved but I want to keep a little for myself, my children, and my grandmother.

I was hoping there mightve been someone that does reloads that could help me out. Ill pay for the Bullets if I have to. I mean I have spent casings and I have live rounds too.
    Last edited by chris91; 06-27-2013 at 04:08 AM.
    2011 Black on Black GT

To have a non dented primer, it will have to be a live primer, but with ashes instead of powder, little will happen except lockup the revolver if that primer was every fired upon and the bullet partially ejected.

The round you mangled for better terms, never shoot it. The others, shoot them them and smile with every shot.

I would ask CCI if you could get 6-10 dummy/blank Large Pistol primers. I'm sure I can come up with 6-10 44 mag bullets.

I sold almost all my reloading stuff to survive in 2005-2006 but I still have a box of reloads that Dad got when he bought a Norwegian 11.25 MM (Colt 45 ACP) around 1981-1982.

Are the fired casings you have one that that your dad fired? I would have those reloaded with dummy primers, the ashes, and then capped with a bullet of that he choose to shoot.

Is there a time frame on this? I have a buddy in Taylor, MI that I bet would love to do this. It would require you being present though, even you making the pulls on the lever of the reloader.

Emails and PM's sent to a few trusted folks.

Years ago I made quite a few lucky connections simply because I asked via email or made a phone call.

My dad and I reload. Next time I'm at his house ill see if he has any casings and 44 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by chris91 View Post
    I have empty casings already. Im not looking to shoot them again so no need to put fast burning powder in them. Im looking to have his ashes in the bullet and have it look like a real round minus the dent in the cap from the firing pin.

I tried the pliers trick and they wouldnt budge. I could get the bullet to spin in the casing but it wouldnt pull out. I wasnt really looking to spend any money as I only have four bullets that need done.

Thanks Black, we lost him back in 04 but his wishes were to keep his ashes around until his widow died and then they wanted their ashes to be combined and spread together. She just recently passed. We plan on spreading their ashes in a spot they both loved but I want to keep a little for myself, my children, and my grandmother.

I was hoping there mightve been someone that does reloads that could help me out. Ill pay for the Bullets if I have to. I mean I have spent casings and I have live rounds too.
    I dont have any 44 stuff on my shelf. I would be more than happy to pull the bullet for you. That takes all of about 3 seconds to do. Stuff a live primer in there,it wont hurt anything. Just put a small black mark on it with a sharpie to remember not to shoot the one with the black mark.

You can reuse the bullet that you pull from the live round and just dump the powder out and put ash's in and press the bullet back in. Easy enough,I just dont have any reloading stuff for 44. My buddy might though,I can check.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    Big thanks to:
    Cincy Speed.
    Killer Koatings.

Im not worried about the dent in the primer. Guess I worded that wrong. I just want his ashes in the casing with a bullet that isnt messed up pressed back in to cap it off. Nothing too special. I have empty casings that have already been fired by me and my son or I have live rounds that were put into a holster by my father himself. Either way is fine by me.

Sorry Bone, no chance of me going to Michigan to have this done..

I would GREATLY appreciate any help here fellas, this means the world to me. Letting his ashes go is something thats taking a toll on me a little here as of late as well as all the other drama I have going on. I just feel now is the time to set him free.
    2011 Black on Black GT

Are you ever near West Chester or Colerain? I can remove the bullet from a live round,or I can clean and reuse the spent casing. Either way it wont take but a few minutes to do.

I dont have the die's for the 44. You can buy them for me.lol Im just kidding.

Thats the only thing I need to make what you want,just a set of dies for a 44. All the other stuff I can do.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    Big thanks to:
    Cincy Speed.
    Killer Koatings.

I have what you need to get this done if somebody else has a single stage press. I had it all all set up at my house to reload 50AE for my Desert Eagle but rarely shoot anymore so I took it all to my dads farm house in Falmouth. I can have him bring home my bullet puller and dies. I am almost certain the shell plate (thing that holds bottom of casing in press) is the same for 50AE and 44 so that will work. The die that sets the bullet will work too since its just a slightly smaller round. Let me know if that helps. My dad goes back and forth to the farm a time or two each week. Just a matter of his old ass remembering to grab the stuff if I tell him to
    If I could get back all the money I wasted on cars...... I would waste it on cars.

Damn why you guys all gotta live so far away. With the wife having seizures I have to be remotely close to her. Let me see if I can work something out and I will get back with you guys. I'm not in a big rush, I mean he did pass in 04. My son wants to make a necklace outta his but I don't think it'd be able to be done, ashes would fall out of the holes.
    2011 Black on Black GT

Damn why you guys all gotta live so far away. With the wife having seizures I have to be remotely close to her. Let me see if I can work something out and I will get back with you guys. I'm not in a big rush, I mean he did pass in 04. My son wants to make a necklace outta his but I don't think it'd be able to be done, ashes would fall out of the holes.

I have all the 44 stuff you could want or need, PM if interested
    The devil is in the details....

-88 GT SBF, PG, 76mm, and 8.5's

http://www.pbrc.net

Message sent!
    2011 Black on Black GT

I have a bullit puller but no dies for a .44 What I would do is pull a bullit from a live round, Clean a spent round, add the ashes, then seat the unfired bullit. Make a few of them and mount in a picture frame with a pic of him or something. This is a cool idea!!!
    If you agree, pass it on.
    If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
    If you are reading it in English -Thank a soldier!!
    Keith Decker. Carpet cleaning MoFo!!
    I got a coupe!!! Picture me doing the Happy Dance!!!

My coupe PICS!!!!

Could you just tap the bullet back into the casing with a hammer very softly? I dont know, never messed with anything like this. I do like your idea though Keith!
    Last edited by chris91; 06-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    2011 Black on Black GT

Drill the hole to string it through the .44 round. Run the necklace through that. Once pressed back in it won't pull out. Just be sure to use a FMJ target round and not a hollow point.

Thread Information