Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Get Out of its Own Way

How is the limited slip diff install going?
    #9 2011 Spring Street Car Shoutout

1991 Mini Tubed Mustang Coupe, in the works.
    351W base, PG, Stock Suspension chassis

Quote Originally Posted by 2Fast4You View Post
    How is the limited slip diff install going?
    No where at the moment. The car really isn't running well. Once I figure out I'll probably start working on it.
    Joe

I'm wondering if you bent a rod like I did? I had a cylinder that was low as well, but the head gasket wasn't damaged at all. I can't wait to get the engine out and apart to see what failed. Ever thought about putting a dohc engine in yours with the turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    I'm wondering if you bent a rod like I did? I had a cylinder that was low as well, but the head gasket wasn't damaged at all. I can't wait to get the engine out and apart to see what failed. Ever thought about putting a dohc engine in yours with the turbo?
    I measured the piston stroke with calipers and the measurement was right at 3.14" or 80 millimeters on all cylinders. I didn't remeasure my valve shim clearance. I wonder if the valves are not closing all the way. I'll check that this weekend. As for dohc motor I have thought about it. The Money involved in doing it is fairly expensive. I'd probably part my car and go lsx, 5.0 or 350 and it would be cheaper.
    Joe

It has low vacuum at idle and goes up if I give it gas. I either got the timing wrong, gasket leak, incorrect valve setting or the rings are not sealing well. I'll check for leaks with a pressure tester tomorrow and check valve clearance sometime soon.
    Joe

I'm going to probably put new rings in it. I'm planning on going to save up for a whipple, tvs or KB for the Cobra. In the mean while I'm going to start selling some parts off this I don't need and whatever else I got for one. I'll just keep this Volvo a 13 second car for now.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    I'm going to probably put new rings in it. I'm planning on going to save up for a whipple, tvs or KB for the Cobra. In the mean while I'm going to start selling some parts off this I don't need and whatever else I got for one. I'll just keep this Volvo a 13 second car for now.
    Still quicker than a lot of GT 4.6 2V's with bolt ons and some 3 valves.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    Still quicker than a lot of GT 4.6 2V's with bolt ons and some 3 valves.
    It just as fast as I hoped. Heck maybe after some rings It maybe faster. Still is a fun project without the worries of huge $$ signs if something goes terribly wrong. I'm going to put building this 4 cylinder on back burner though.
    Joe

Its still cool to see this car run as good as it has! Impressive for sure!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Its still cool to see this car run as good as it has! Impressive for sure!
    I'll still run it. I'm at a point where the build is getting more costly than I intended for it. It's still fun to get the locals confused that a old brick can run pretty decent with mostly oem parts.
    Joe

This is one of my favorite projects. I need to tear my donor engine down this weekend. Going to have Oreilly's get some rings and bearings in for me, then do the hone and carwash block clean, then assemble it. I'd like to do springs and valve job, etc, on the head, but we will see how that goes. This engine ran and did not smoke a bit, so hoping it will be a good runner and last a long time until I can build a forged shortblock with ported head.

I really enjoy you're project also. I'm sure I'll get itch again to do something different to the car. Having a desk job makes me want to work with my hands when I get home somedays. The Cobra I would never put EBay and junkyard stuff in it. More of a great bolt on car that I want to keep pristine for years to come. I now and again think about going 2011+ Mustang or a new RT challenger but I don't think it would make me any happier.
    Joe

I like reading your project as well. Gives me hope that mine will run a decent et when I do get it to the point that I can race it. Right now the bellcrank clutch linkage is crap and delays the release of the clutch from all the stuff flexing. I want to go to a turbo coupe hydraulic setup using the Mcleod master and TC slave cylinder. I think that will speed the release and allow me to shift it the way I want to. Any progress on yours?

I haven't made too much progress since I strained my shoulder I keep reinjuring. Luckily a MRI shows I didn't tear anything.

The progress I did make is that it not pulling too much vacuum to stay running at base idle. There is a bunch of blow by now but it's not smoking. The compression was low on two cylinders. I'll either install new rings in it or if my buddies brother-in-law sells me a Volvo motor that his grandfather rebuilt before he passed away for the right price I may just do that. I'm hoping it's the same motor because I haven't gotten that confirmed yet.
    Joe

I'm back at it again! My shoulder is getting better finally. I'm tearing out the bottom end and probably getting it bored and honed. The bore Diameter is spot on according to my bore gauge but there is step/groove at the area where the rings stop at right at full upstroke. It would be good to get this cleaned. I wonder if I could just run a ball hone and get it smoothed out. I've only honed one motor and plus one cylinder before this. I didn't have to do much work on those motors because the bores we're in decent shape. Maybe any of you guys can chime in before I decide to take it to a machine shop next week.

Just checking if my engine lift was big enough to reach.

Last edited by PKFIRE; 08-29-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    Joe

Ring ridge cutter would take care of it. Probably a little easier and quicker too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3319134...&ul_noapp=true
    1992 Gould GT project...

I just found out autozone has one in their borrow a tool program. Thanks for the info! As far as I can tell it's all I can see wrong with bore. I'll see more once I get the pistons out.
    Joe

Good to hear! I think they all get the same ridge over time.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Pulled the motor yesterday. The motor is pretty dirty. I'll start tearing it down soon.

Joe

Taking the assembly apart so far everything looks good other than the cylinder bore looking kinda of glaze other than the typical cross hatch. I think I maybe able to just hone it and put it back together.
    Joe

Thread Information