Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Get Out of its Own Way

Worked on making a 3" exhaust yesterday. I wish I had some welding skills before I started the project. I had coworker weld up the downpipe and then I gave Adam at S&M a visit to weld on the flex pipe. I may try practicing welding on the left over scrape for the fun of it.

The exhaust has Catco 3" stainless cat, magnaflow chamber muffler. I added a Wideband to it too yesterday. The car is much quieter but has a deep tone to it.

Joe

Cool project. Glad you got it going.

Found the old G-meter to try out. Last time I did this the best I could get out of the car was a 10.0 to 60mph with the VX3 cam and 2.25" catback exhaust. I'm a bit curious on what it will run in the quarter the way it sits before I up the boost a bit.

So I guess this what I know so far

12.5 (figured out number)seconds 0-60 stock 18.6@73
    10.0 seconds 0-60 (g-meter)vx3 cam and 2.25" catback 17.4@79.10
    6.08 seconds 0-60(g-meter) vx3 cam, 3" full exhaust, cone filter and td04-13c turbo at .5 bar of boost. Quartermile ???

Yesterday the car went 6.5, 6.7 and brake boosted 6.08 to 60 mph according to this g-meter.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Marks99gt View Post
    Cool project. Glad you got it going.
    Thanks, I had most the parts laying in the garage. I finally just decided to do it,lol.
    Joe

Well I blew the headgasket and now the head is off it. I sent it over to Performance Engineering today for a surface clean, increased cc bowl and a 3 angle valve grind.
    Joe

Well finally I got to my head ready for reassembly. Bit of learning experience on being picky about how the final product should turn out. After a few trips to the machine shop for some surface clean up and some work of my own the cam now spin freely in the assembly. I need to check the shim clearance on the cam and once I get that set I can put this head back in.

Joe

3 Angle Valve Grind, Radius exhaust Valves and bowl blend to reduce compression to 8.5

40 dollar Boost Controller mounted in the glove box.

Joe

Added an adjustable FPR to the vehicle and I will be running the car on the Dyno at S&M next week using the free dyno pulls I won at Quaker Steak at the last Terminator Cruise. I'm thinking 170-180 whp since it on a Mustang Dyno and the turbo in it is rated at 339 cfm.
    Joe

I noticed I haven't updated in awhile. Since then I have added 15G-TD04HL turbo that got me a 14.0 in the quarter. I was hoping for a high 13 so I've swapped in a 20T-TD04HL turbo with a full 3" Outlet. I have a higher lift and duration camshaft that I'm planning to place into it soon. The car feels pretty quick as it sits on pump gas. Probably even more so then when it turned a 14.0 running 110oct with the 15g.
    Joe

Nice work!!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Well I got somethings done to the car in the last month. I broke another Automatic Aw71 transmission and finally decided to install a transmission with the Home Depot shift kit upgrade. I stuck cut bolts between the actuators in the transmission for quicker shifts and eliminated most the slips during shifts that was killing second. I wish I did it earlier since the car now barks 2nd gear pretty easy and goes for 40-50 stupid fast. Accord to my phone's video editor it went 5.1 seconds 0-58 mph with little brake boost. The power comes in strong and it's running 18 psi. I think it should easily turn a 13 now on pump gas. I'll eventually change the cam out and put in some breather barbs so it gets the crankcase pressure out of the motor.

So I can run it as is and put slick on and brake boost it to 15psi or wait until I put my higher lift and duration Turbo Cam in. I'll eventually up the boost more.
    Joe

Valve body with Home depot Performance shift kit.
    Last edited by PKFIRE; 08-24-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    Joe

Well I hit my first goal of getting the car to run a 13 second quartermile and did it with my 15g used turbo. I've decided not stop there and push it a bit harder into the low 13's or 12s for next year.

In the process of trying to get my 20T to boost past 20psi I over spun the turbo because of weak CBV Spring. I took the turbine wheel and compressor wheel to Diesel injection service for balance. I ended up finding a place out in Oregon where it seems all the Volvo performance shops exist who had a TD04HL Bearing housing already machined out for a 58mm compressor wheel. Standard housings can only accept a 56mm wheel.

20T turbo

Standard Bearing Housing

20T Bearing Housing

I'll put it back together this week. I'm not planning on installing it for a bit because the car is quite fun the way it sits for now.
    My wish list for next year..
    I will need to replace the GTP 36 lb injectors with larger 52lb injectors, put lighter front wheels on, drop some weight in the car and possibly adding a locker next year. I may also add a 3" cutout before the cat to free up some horsepower.

What I have on order
    17psi Garrett Wastegate to replace the 4psi Wastegate currently being used. That should get rid of the turbine pressure opening the puck too soon.
    Last edited by PKFIRE; 10-14-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    Joe

Coolest thread I've read in a long while.
    86. Gt. 4 eyes baby!
    92 lx convertible
    96 Chevy cavalier (rip)
    99 Eddie bauer expedition. Alive again !!
    08 gmc Yukon Denali xl.
    98 Buick park ave. (61k miles)
    93 notch.

After running Sunday the car went 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. Based on the time slip.
    Joe

I went ahead and rebuilt the 20T turbo tonight. I learned that someone messed up designing or machining the turbine shaft as it pushed a thrust collar right into a thrust bearing it shouldn't ever bind to. So the turbo was locked up when I went to tighten it. I now know why there was step put into the original thrust washer to account for this. I'm really not sure if this common practice when building a turbo but it makes it a pain trying to put it back together. I'm kinda disappointed but it's not the first time I seen parts adjusted to fit.

Joe

I'm in the process of getting the car ready for next year. I found a guy who tunes these cars through burning chips. He's helping me right now find a plan on what to get to support my goal of a 12 second 1/4 mile. Currently I found and purchased a V6 Volvo MAF that is 30 percent bigger than the one that I'm running that works with my stock computer. I will have to get larger injectors and the tuner will help me fine tune my airfuel with it. This also removes the fuel cut which is nice since the car after 20 psi just likes to cutout at part throttle. I will be running about 25psi through this engine. I'll see if the 1/4 million mile redblock holds together. If not I'll just pick up a used redblock and put some H beam rods into it and try again.

I have 55lb injectors on order, time to make some more horsepower.
    Last edited by PKFIRE; 10-18-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    Joe

I'm collecting more parts, I've decided to convert the car to E85. Found a chip burner in Arkansas and he is going to burn me a ignition chip and a fuel chip. I had to purchase a chipable EZK ignition box. Apparently the one I'm getting has the fastest processor. The car is becoming a mess of various parts.
    Joe

E85 parts list complete.
    Joe

Fuel, Computer, New Air filter, Spark Box and Injectors are installed. I just need to fill up with E85. I'll see how the 15G turbo is before I put the 20T back in.
    Joe

Thread Information