Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Get Out of its Own Way

Gotta love new parts!!! That thing is gonna be fun I bet!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

What will you be doing with the 15T turbo?

I might be in the market for a 15T, if it is the angled exhaust housing.

Also, one more thing.
    If you need anything from Volvo parts, get ahold of Britt. She took my place at the parts counter. She will take care of you. Just let her know Stacks sent you.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    #13 Spring Street car shootout.
    Big thanks to:
    S&M Motorsports tuning and Fab.
    Cincy Speed.
    Hyper-Performance Motorsports.
    Killer Koatings.
    My other place.thestaginglane

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Gotta love new parts!!! That thing is gonna be fun I bet!
    I hope so, I'm going to start It today for the first time with E85.

Quote Originally Posted by facemelter71 View Post
    What will you be doing with the 15T turbo?

I might be in the market for a 15T, if it is the angled exhaust housing.

Also, one more thing.
    If you need anything from Volvo parts, get ahold of Britt. She took my place at the parts counter. She will take care of you. Just let her know Stacks sent you.
    Oh kewl, where did you run off to? Its a 15g btw. I sold the conical flange housing it had. I'm going to keep it for now. I actually have enough parts to build most of another +T.
    Joe

Joe

I ended up accepting a new job at GE.
    D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331.
    #13 Spring Street car shootout.
    Big thanks to:
    S&M Motorsports tuning and Fab.
    Cincy Speed.
    Hyper-Performance Motorsports.
    Killer Koatings.
    My other place.thestaginglane

I have a new chip sitting at my house for fuel. The first tune is running a bit lean. I'm hoping this time corrects the fuel enrichment at cold starts. The E85 tune was taking forever to cold start.
    Joe

Well after 3 chips and still running lean I decided to get larger injectors and the tuner sent me this nifty device called a ostrich 2.0. I downloaded the software and place his bin file into it. After looking it looks like this device will work with multiple obd 1 cars and there is a bit of info on jetronic tuning on the internet. I think it's time for me to read into it.
    Joe

Plenty of fuel to new 7000 rpm redline, old was 6000. I have the software now and can program myself. Still working with the tuner to get my E85 starting issues resolved. I've asked for a burner for Christmas so I can change chips myself. I can't believe the stock computer has so much adjustability. So far found you can raise the limiter up to 14432 rpm, can adjust cranking fuel per temperture, this is injector pulsewidth and duration. You can adjust fuel cut and modify MAF and fuel tables. Different year computers also have different circuits which new ones tend to have more adjustability.
    Joe

During my learning curve with tuning I found out that the my replacement 951 ECU does not have the circuit for the cold start injector. Though the 563 Computer that I took from the junkyard does. The only issue is that the 953 computer does allow for cold start cranking adjustments and the 563 does not other than with the cold start injector that my car was equipped with. Well after reading there was a ECU 937 that both has the cold start circuit and the cranking fuel adjustment. I located one and will become my main fuel ecu. I know these numbers don't mean much to anyone but Volvo made so many different versions of the same LH2.4 ECU and they all have some sort of weird difference in the program. Luckily there have been people who found or figured out most the differences and stuck it online. This should help me get this car to start under 30F on E85.
    Joe

Sounds like your learning a lot along the way. Why did they have to make things so difficult I wonder?

I just want to see it make some passes!
    1992 Gould GT project...

I'm not sure why but I bet it had something to do with emissions. Newer Volvo's got EGRs and eliminated the cold start injector. That's my guess.
    Joe

Yeah, I'm looking forward to taking it to the track. Last track day I couldn't figure out why I was limited with fuel but I know why now and fuel cut has been eliminated. It should be quicker by just allowing me to up the boost more.
    Joe

It's interesting how you change some parameters tuning and how the car response. E85 isn't too friendly under 50-60F start ups. You have to dump exponentially more fuel the colder it gets compared to gasoline. Kinda frustrating since once I have time it gets warm outside again,lol.
    Joe

Mine does the same on E85. Below 50 it runs like crap until it gets some heat in it.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I drove it to work this morning and it was running rich at part throttle cruise when it was warming up. It sputtered at part throttle until it was about at full temp. I guess I have to keep adjusting the warm up enrich until it smoothes out. Wish I had a load dyno,haha.
    Joe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCJOYPK8DDs
    Figured out my misfire issue, bad plug wires. Starting to get somewhere now with the cold start and driveablity. Can't wait to remove this turbo.
    Joe

Seems like its making a good bit of boost! That's crazy!
    1992 Gould GT project...

I want it to hold 25psi. The 15g won't do it. I do like how fast it gets into boost with the smaller turbo. I'm just happy the motor is holding together because the rotating parts are still naturally aspirated Volvo stuff with a ton of miles on it.
    Joe

That's crazy! Hard to believe it will take it really. Its good to hear though.

Should make for a real fun car. Nobody will ever expect it that's for sure!
    1992 Gould GT project...

I wonder if I should stick with the B230 motor or someday swap it. I've seen people make good power out of these. The car started fine this morning but for brief few seconds it went lean after cranking and then went to warm-up enrichment which allowed it to idle fine. There has to be a way to adjust this.
    Joe

Thread Information