Thread: Stereo instal

Stereo instal

So I'm installing a new radio in my 92 gt (old one got stolen few years back) and harness is cut off. Found a site with the wire colors. Got the speakers figured out no problem. Now I'm to the power side of things. It's telling me the constant is green/yellow and switch is yellow/black antenna is orange and blue, just don't have any of those colors. Anybody ran into to this before? Any advice?

Pick up a $5 multimeter from harbor freight and find out.
    2011 Black on Black GT

what he said boss. Or grab a 12volt test light and check the wires to ground. Obviously 12v constant will light the bulb regardless of voltage, and the ignition controlled voltage will work with keyswitch on or in access. I have no idea why Ford would have an ANTENNA wire on a wiring harness. Never heard of Ford putting a retractable antenna on any mustang...but I could be wrong. Last all you need to do is find a ground wire. Usually ground is green. But to know for sure requires an ohm meter to check for continuity. Or a continuity checker. Good luck.

I was using a test light, wasn't getting any hot wires at all. Traced it back under the dash had some wires cut under there. But anyway got the stereo installed took a lot longer than I had anticipated. When I was at 29 palms doin some desert training in early 2000 a guy I served withs brother lived out there. He had a 89 lx and it had a antenna that was retractable, don't know of he bought the car like that or it was something he did. Don't think I've seen one like that since. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

glad you got it resolved. Be cautious of cheap electrical test equipment. They can fail and place you in a dangerous situation. Happened to me once when working on a 240 feed for a piece of production equipment. in stead of using my Fluke meter, I got in a hurry and used a coworker's cheap HF POS he had bought braggingly for I think $7. It indicated no voltage (digital display) and needless to say I got lit up when I went to disconnect the 240 VAC feed.

There's no way I'd trust a harbor freight anything when working with that kinda juice. LoL
    2011 Black on Black GT

Had similar incident, a greenlee meter read no voltage, my fluke read 248 , was on top of a crane, glad I checked it twice.
    86. Gt. 4 eyes baby!
    92 lx convertible
    96 Chevy cavalier (rip)
    99 Eddie bauer expedition. Alive again !!
    08 gmc Yukon Denali xl.
    98 Buick park ave. (61k miles)
    93 notch.

You will seldom go wrong with any Fluke or a trusty old Simpson P260 analog meter.

We had old triplett analog meters in the mill years ago, never an issue. Still have several of em at home.
    86. Gt. 4 eyes baby!
    92 lx convertible
    96 Chevy cavalier (rip)
    99 Eddie bauer expedition. Alive again !!
    08 gmc Yukon Denali xl.
    98 Buick park ave. (61k miles)
    93 notch.

Quote Originally Posted by 86gt40 View Post
    We had old triplett analog meters in the mill years ago, never an issue. Still have several of em at home.
    Very like in quality and design to Simpson. Grew up with Simpson or Fluke in my hand.

Thread Information