Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Doing it myself

Progress so far. Taking everything blocking the parts I need to reach off.

In order to take the balancer off. You have to take out the steering rack. In order to do that you have to take the wheels off, unbolt part of the suspension, unbolt the brackets holding the brake lines and power steering lines. Unbolt the steering rack and pull it through the small opening on the driver side.

This allows you just enough room to remove the balancer.

We didn't have a dowel pin kit so my dad being a CNC machinist and me being a fabricator. We decided to just drill it.

We also used a threaded rod and my dad made a spacer to put on the balancer. That way we couldn't strip out the threads.

Dowel pin fit perfect. We drilled it so it wouldn't be able work its way out.

Installed the cog drive pulley but left off the pulley that puts tension on the belt cause its pretty obvious I would not be able to get the steering rack back in.

With the cog drive on. I now need to trim the power steering bracket. I marked it off and cut it off with small grinder.

Now running the oil feed to the supercharger. The easiest way I found was use about 24" of extension.

This is the view from under the car. Not much to see. That's why I used the extension and went through the drivers side as pictured.

Last edited by USMCPONY; 07-05-2015 at 02:21 AM.

Next I put on the tensioner that's located on the passenger side of the balancer. I kept trying to get it on but wasn't having much luck so I beveled the edge a bit so when I tighten it down it'll guide itself into place. Worked the first try.

I broke off a small thin piece of wood and folded it into a piece of cardboard to prevent damage to the balancer.

Now is time to install power steering rack, alternator and flip drive.

Next was installing the water pump

Installed the supercharger brackets and head unit.

Man that's a lot of work!!! Looks good though!!

And I thought putting long tubes on the Cobra was a pain in the ass!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Man that's a lot of work!!! Looks good though!!

And I thought putting long tubes on the Cobra was a pain in the ass!
    Would you believe they claim its a 4 hour job?

No way!!! That's crazy!

It takes me 4 hours to build up motivation to even work on mine!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Took 4 hours just take the steering rack out.

Anyone that says they like working on a corvette is lying. It sucks doing anything to them
    2014 CTS V-sport
    2006-teen Black CCSB Powerstroke

Holy hell . I'll stick to my fox body's . Nice work !

I'll never complain about working on a fox body again. Fox bodies are the easiest cars I've ever worked on.

Got the oil drain tapped on the front of the oil pan. I noticed it has allot of coolant from when I pulled the water pump from the block. I drained it completely from the radiator but the coolant in the pump leaked out on the timing sensor around the balancer. How screwed am I or did Chevrolet think ahead and seal it so fluid can't leak into it?

Finished some of the things in the engine bay.

Last edited by USMCPONY; 07-05-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Wow! Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Venom View Post
    Wow! Nice work.
    You still have yours?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPONY View Post
    You still have yours?
    No, I sold the C6Z06 in March, when I moved to Tallahassee. I plan on replacing it with a C7Z06 or the Shelby GT 350.

No, I sold the C6Z06 in March, when I moved to Tallahassee. I plan on replacing it with a C7Z06 or the Shelby GT 350.
    My buddy bought a 15 C7Z and sent it to vengeance racing with less than 100 miles on it. It held the highest hp record for a while. Definitely a badass car. I had the opportunity to buy a C7 stingray. The C7 is a gorgeous car. It just doesn't say Corvette to me. Looks more like a exotic car to me.

The new Mustangs don't look like Mustangs to me either

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPONY View Post
    My buddy bought a 15 C7Z and sent it to vengeance racing with less than 100 miles on it. It held the highest hp record for a while. Definitely a badass car. I had the opportunity to buy a C7 stingray. The C7 is a gorgeous car. It just doesn't say Corvette to me. Looks more like a exotic car to me.
    I like the C7 for the suspension improvements over the C6--particularly the electronic differential. I still don't like the rear lights. I'm more interested in road course handling than straight line acceleration. The Shelby GT 350R has also put up some impressive numbers at the Nordschiefe.

I like the C7 for the suspension improvements over the C6--particularly the electronic differential. I still don't like the rear lights. I'm more interested in road course handling than straight line acceleration. The Shelby GT 350R has also put up some impressive numbers at the Nordschiefe.
    Id pick a C7Z over a 350. The new Mustangs just aren't doing it for me.

Got about 90% done with everything. Went to put on the 10 rib supercharger belt and its too short. Going to order one 1.25" longer today. After that all I have to do is bolt up the engine cradle, suspension, couple hoses, (it just turned 3,000 miles on the odometer) so I'm changing the oil and filter, double check everything and then put the wheels one.

Thread Information