Thread: Brand New Cars , Modifications and the warranty?????

Brand New Cars , Modifications and the warranty?????

So I have been trying to research this all over the place and all I am finding is a whole lot of pissing matches! So if I bought a brand new Mustang and wanted to do basic stuff..... What is allowed, what isn't allowed? Is it the dealers decision what gets covered? Like Chads car, axle back , blower , minor suspension work.... Is it still covered? Just not the aftermarket parts? If it is dealer installed does that change anything? Beef probably has dealt with this on more than one occasion. Any help would be appreciated before I jump in with both feet

Quote Originally Posted by leroy93lx View Post
    So I have been trying to research this all over the place and all I am finding is a whole lot of pissing matches! So if I bought a brand new Mustang and wanted to do basic stuff..... What is allowed, what isn't allowed? Is it the dealers decision what gets covered? Like Chads car, axle back , blower , minor suspension work.... Is it still covered? Just not the aftermarket parts? If it is dealer installed does that change anything? Beef probably has dealt with this on more than one occasion. Any help would be appreciated before I jump in with both feet
    Totally up to the dealer. Talk to your Service Manager, where you bought the car, and ask him. Get it in writing if possible if he agrees to honor the warranty. But then thats still no guarantee he will as he has higher ups that dont deal with the public.
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

That seems to be the concensus. I have read that if you buy from a Roush dealer you will have somewhat better results since they promote their upgrade parts. There were no facts to back that up, just internet talk I read on some random Mustang forum. The dealer we have talked to about the car seems to be the most uptight group of non car enthusiasts possible! They have the car the wife likes though.....unfortunately.

Def speak with your dealer and get their feedback. Here is my experience in CIncy.

As it was explained to me per Lebanon Ford and Roush Performance - If you purchase the Phase 1 Roush package and it is installed by a certified (ASC) dealer/technician you qualify for a Roush 36/36 Roush Powertrain warranty that will cover issues not covered by Ford. The two work hand in hand. The warranty through Roush however begins on the day you purchased your Mustang however and will not exceed 36000 miles on the OD, not 36K from the purchase date of the package. That warranty is separate from the Roush package warranty that covers blower, fuel rails, etc., which is standard coverage of the kit. Safety recalls and other defect Tech bulletins still apply however to the best of my understanding.

Areas of modification after installing the Roush Phase 1 package will be scrutinized. E.G. - I upgraded the flywheel and clutch assembly on my car. Ford saw that and told me they could no longer warranty the clutch and flywheel. Clutch, pressure plate only have 12/12 coverage anyway. Of course that stands for any change you would make. Once you modify pulleys and tune on the Roush package though the extended Roush warranty you purchased for that is null and void IF you get caught.

Last. I have been told by more than one tuner (may be a wives tail, yet may be true) that IF you load an aftermarket tune on any PCM and then flash it back before taking it to a dealer for a warranty issue, the only symptom they would see at the dealer level under normal scan would be a battery disconnect flag. That may be enough for them to call in a tech rep that I hear has deeper diagnostics capabilities and can verify tampering of the PCM by way of aftermarket tuning, but that would likely only take place on a severe volatile situation like a blown engine or destroyed auto transmission.

Hope this helps Lee. This is all from my personal experience having owned my 13 now since 2012 new and slowly made modifications to it over the years. I kept mine factory for quite about 15 months before doing the Roush mod and then upgraded the tune after I got fed up with Roush. That is another story for another time.

Buy a GT automatic and have a ball with it. The coyote loves FI in spite of its higher compression ratio compared to that of the 3 valve 4.6. Its only real limit is the powdered metal connecting rods. Has a forged crank but Ford skimped until the 15 was released which now has forged internals and can handle more boost. People pushing the Coyote stock block in 14 and prior have usually seen advanced reduced life after about the 620RWHP level and higher from what I have found. Of course that also depends on the torque output as well.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy93lx View Post
    That seems to be the concensus. I have read that if you buy from a Roush dealer you will have somewhat better results since they promote their upgrade parts. There were no facts to back that up, just internet talk I read on some random Mustang forum. The dealer we have talked to about the car seems to be the most uptight group of non car enthusiasts possible! They have the car the wife likes though.....unfortunately.
    Give Brenspeed a call up a ways from you in Webster, IN. They deal a lot with some of the local dealers in that area which I don't think is too far from you. You may be able to find a less uptight dealer through that avenue. If I were doing this whole thing all over again, I would buy a 13 with an auto. I'd enjoy it stock for a while until I gained comfort with it and then call VMP tuning and go with one of Justin's packages if you are looking to do a TVS setup. I have not been overly impressed with Roush tech after the sale. They were good about replacing a fuel rail that developed a split line on the crossover feed 2 months after I bought it but aside from that, their tech all the way up to their head of R/D who I spoke to are not very helpful from my experience. Call me if you want more details. Tired of typing.

Thank you Chad. That helps dramatically. It is an automatic. 2015 5.0 convertible. White with black leather and the technology package. 20" wheels. It is pretty well optioned. They have a pretty sweet incentive package for 2015s right now and it is looking very enticing. She is considering just trading in the BMW to be rid of it and get a different SUV for the winter. Her wheels have been turning since Sunday! I just say " Yes Honey, that sounds great.......don't beat me"

no prob. say hi to the wife and kids.

any aftermarket brand even ford racing is "aftermarket"

most s/c companies, if installed by either ase or certified dealer will offer power train warranties.

there is no guarantee any dealer is going to warranty without the aftermarket warranty from the mfg

on the 15's we can do the roush or vortech and offer a warranty

if you really don't want to tune, and are going mild, the jms pedal max's will give you a little throttle response, that and a catback will give you a little something.

anything I can do let me know
    [B]2015 Mustang GT - 8.40@170
    2022 F150 10.76
    www.beefcakeracing.com for all your late model Mustang, Hemi and Camaro Exhaust / Supercharger / Suspension and suspension needs.

Thread Information