Thread: Reset misfire monitor neutral profile

Reset misfire monitor neutral profile

If you pull your flywheel, or swap engines, or rebuild your engine, remove it, etc., you will need to do this procedure to your vehicle. It does not affect your tune at all, it's to align how the computer finds #1 cylinder is how it was explained to me.
    Two ways to get this done. First is to go to Ford and ask for it specifically. Second way is to use a snap on scanner, has to be within the last year's model(2014), as it has it on there as well. So now even local spots can do it.
    I'm looking at getting one of these scan tools, which made my snap on guy very excited, so that I can do this reset easily when I put a coyote engine in or do a clutch or flexplate on one. They even recommend doing this when installing a Circle D converter.
    Just an fyi.

Here is the info straight from the horses mouth so to speak:
    http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi.../OBDSM1202.pdf

Scroll down to page 19, I highly recommend downloading this pdf and keeping it handy as it has a lot of useful info.

As I understand this Mike it is only required if the related CEL's are generated. No CEL's after my clutch swap out was done aside from an O2 lean/rich CEL that would flag after approx. 2 hours of driving. Was found to be a fitment leak between the cat and midpipe flange which resolved that problem.

Is the CEL masked by chance? Meaning it is produced but does not trigger a CEL warning light?

Sure after an entire engine rebuild or as stated PCM swap this would need to be performed, but a clutch Flywheel swap? Your experience is far advanced just asking to learn. Maybe I need to have this procedure redone to optimize driveability.

Doesn't the SCT X4 have this as one of its functions ? I would do a neutral profile/crank relearn anyway if swapping a clutch or flywheel on a coyote engine.....even if a CEL wasn't triggered.
    I need to put a clutch in mine.....hate the stock clutch, makes me not even want to drive the dang thing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Scott
    93 Coupe
    66 Fastback

Not sure Scott. I haven't looked.

Mike - What is the symptom of this? Does the car go into limp mode? Does a CEL pop up like a P0300 or something? OR dopes the car just act weird at decal and driving ion the 2000-3000 rpm range that the cal process refers to? Thanks

Yes, it doesn't necessarily generate a code. Ford says ANYTIME the flywheel, ckp sensor, flexplate or engine is removed/replaced, this learn is done. It can be done on it's own if you read the excerpt I linked, by driving from 40 to 60 mph, then let off accelerator and decell to 40, then do it again. repeat 3 times simultaneously. This is supposed to perform the same procedure in the tune, but not as accurately as the scan tool can do it.
    No, sct has no provision for this that I am aware of, but I will connect the xcal4 to my 12 and verify that for you. The code that can indicate a problem is p0300, random misfire code. Quite a few guys have reported no code associated with it being down on power and having issues, like mine was before the cracked spark plug started me researching. Mine was down 60 rwhp on the dyno from initial start up and break in.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if the diagnostic tool was required for that decel process or not. Any chance this may be a catch all for TSB 13-6-15?

https://lmr.com/products/2014-Mustang-TSB-Recall

Just curious. I have met guys with that issue on their cars even after the TSB was performed. There was also talk that the sensor wheel was machined incorrectly causing the problem on a certain lot of engines. Said the tolerance on the air gap from tooth to tooth on the sensor ring was on the edge and caused misfires and a need to reset this feature in the PCM as well, however always generated a CEL. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    No, sct has no provision for this that I am aware of, but I will connect the xcal4 to my 12 and verify that for you. The code that can indicate a problem is p0300, random misfire code. Quite a few guys have reported no code associated with it being down on power and having issues, like mine was before the cracked spark plug started me researching. Mine was down 60 rwhp on the dyno from initial start up and break in.
    Found this, that may be helpful:
    On the SCT X4
    From the "MAIN MENU", you arrow down to "VEHICLE FUNCTIONS", you push the center red dot and there are three options: READ DTC CODES, CLEAR DTC CODES, and SPECIAL FUNCTIONS. Go into SPECIAL FUNCTIONS and you'll find the relearn function.
    -----------------------------------------
    Scott
    93 Coupe
    66 Fastback

^^^ Have you tried this Scott? Then again you have likely not since you are still running the stock clutch. Never mind.

Got my Xcal4 out and went through the menus till I found it. I went through the steps without performing it. It seems to be the same procedure the factory Ford tool does, but I will verify that by performing it later on. Nice info to know since no one at sct seems to have a clue about their own products. That's one of the reasons I started this section was to get info out for our members.
    Thanks!

Now wish I had an SCT X4. OH well.

My 2013 had a TSB performed in which an o ring was placed between the crank sensor and motor then the above neural monitor missfire correction procedure performed. This was done at Lebanon Ford about 2.5 yrs ago.
    As the car warmed up wile driving it would go into limp mode and the cel would just blink. After about 10 seconds the issue would go away.
    Codes could not be pulled unless I left the car running after the cel blinked. If I shut it down the codes would reset.
    It's been fine since the o ring fix

Thread Information