Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1992 LX Hatch Coyote Swap in Progress

Cant wait to see how this turns out!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Are you going to the use oil cooler that came on the engine? Mine has that too, and debating on using it. I like the potential benefits of it, but it clutters things up a little.

Are you swapping the front cover or just taking it off to install oil pump gears?
    2011 F150 FX4 SCREW EB
    1997 Cobra Coyote Swap w/IRS project in progress slowly....
    89 Mustang SSP 5.0 Turbo -Gone
    03 SVT Focus Turbo -Gone

I took the water pump off next.

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Cant wait to see how this turns out!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by egbertnr View Post
    Are you going to the use oil cooler that came on the engine? Mine has that too, and debating on using it. I like the potential benefits of it, but it clutters things up a little.

Are you swapping the front cover or just taking it off to install oil pump gears?
    No, we are not using that oil cooler. I'm just waiting til we get a different one before I swap it out. Yep, replacing pump gears. Have to upload more pics, which takes an incredible amount of time with photobucket for some reason. Keeps locking up my computer. Using TSS gears in the pump.

Looks good nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

After the balancer was removed, I took the timing cover off. This pic shows the positioning of the timing cover bolts.

Which exposed the chains.

I took the chains off(there is a procedure for that that must be carefully followed), to get to the oil pump. I removed the oil pump and opened it up.

I put the billet gears in the housing and lubed them up with vaseline for a quicker prime.

Last edited by NXcoupe; 02-02-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Not sure if we are going to use this cover or not. Depends on if it works with the brackets we are getting for it.

After I installed the oil pump and timed the engine again, I put the timing cover back on, and loosely installed the balancer in case it had to be taken off again. I then flipped the engine and took the oil pan out of the box for a test fit. The oil pump pick up is the same from mustang to truck. However, the oil pan gaskets are different between the two. I had to modify the pick up with a block of wood and a hammer to get it to clear the bottom of the pan and the edge of the sump.

This is the difference between the truck oil pan gasket(right) and the mustang gasket(left). As you can see, the mustang gasket is also a windage tray. I'm going to use this gasket with the canton pan. I will post up if there are any issues, but I doubt it. I think it'll be worth a few ponies on the dyno, worth a shot at least.

Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

Coming along nice!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

This is how the pick up tube mounts, and I was putting the new mustang oil pan gasket with windage tray on it. The gasket goes on first, then the pick up goes in and tighten all the bolts.

We decided to go with the Power by the Hour accessory bracket kit that uses the 5.0 alternator but uses 96 up accessories like a/c compressor and p/s pump. I put the p/s bracket on first because the instructions said to. I read the instructions thoroughly and even asked the guy if this would work with the truck timing cover. This is how it looked:

You can see that there is an empty bolt hole on the cover. I researched it and found that the only cover that will work is this one:

I believe that is the part number, but I will double check when I get to the shop and verify.

So off came the timing cover, which really sucks since I had it all together:

Put the new cover on:

Now you can see how all the bolt holes line up and the bracket is moved further up the side of the engine. It works as it should and all the instructions make sense now with this cover. The pictures match up as well in the instructions now. I bolted the bracket up correctly.

As I was putting the mustang cover on and the bracket, I realized the goofy truck oil cooler would not work with the new cover, so I had to buy this one:

This is a pic of both of them. Luckily the bolts from the old one work with the new one:

More pics of the bracket properly installed and the mustang oil filter adapter:

Last edited by NXcoupe; 07-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Next, I mounted the p/s pump onto the new bracket and timing cover. It fit perfectly.

This bracket kit really is a nice, high-quality kit. Instructions are great, and with what I've written here, you should be able to get it on your project just as easily.

Thread Information