Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1992 LX Hatch Coyote Swap in Progress

I moved to the other side and put the a/c compressor bracket onto the block with the hardware provided. It worked really well also, lining up perfectly.

I didn't take a picture of the rest of the a/c bracket install I guess, so moving onto the engine mount install. I had to grind the upper right hand corner off some to get it to clear the block and bolt on. Could just be the mounts I bought, but I tossed this in here just in case.

You can see the mount clears nicely now.

A/C compressor installed and motor mount installed. I used 97 GT motor mounts because we put a later model 4.6 Kmember in ours.

Then I moved onto the 5.0 Alternator installation. I bought one off of an automatic car from a junkyard. It wasn't too expensive, I think it was less than 100 bucks, but you have to use an auto one because the manual trans ones have a clutch on the pulley that won't allow it to work in a reverse rotation application, which is exactly what we are going to do with it here.
    The instructions say to use a grinder or a saws-all to remove these bungs sticking out of the timing cover and then carve a radius in the top reinforcement for belt clearance. This is how it looked after I was finished.

Then I bolted on the tensioner and their alternator bracket.

I put the alternator and all the belts and tensioners on per the instructions and it all lined up and worked perfectly. I'm really happy with the kit.

I put the valve covers, intake, fuel rails, wiring, etc, all on it and got it ready to install. Dave sent me a link off of dramabook that claimed a set of stock headers would work in a foxbody, so we gave it a try.

Of course you can never find an article once you've read it on dramabook, so we had to try to go from memory and cut both flanges off as it said they needed to be rotated.

Here it is ready to go in, or so we thought.....

After wrestling with the stock headers for quite a while, we had to remove the engine and remove the headers, because, yeah, they'll work, if you don't want to steer the car. The steering shaft would need lots of modification to go around the headers imho, so we removed them and finally sat the engine into the bay.

It's getting there. I ordered a flywheel from spec, so the steel flywheel and centerforce DF clutch are going in this week. Then we have to finish up the a/c connections and wiring up all the other little things. I've got most of the wiring figured out and Dave wired up the fans to the controls pack, so this week should yield a lot of progress.

[IMG]http://i1
    167.photobucket.com/albums/q629/mustangmike347/Post%20Pictures/Coyote%20Fox/20160430_210622_zps3pmecwnf.jpg[/IMG]

Looking good!

You're going to have two great cars to play with.
    2017 BMW 430i
    2012 Chevy Impala 9C3

Looks like you're having the same issues I had. I don't know anyone with my setup. Ive probly ran into 20 different issues that I had to change something else. Change one thing. Then you have to change five more. So everything is trial and error. Its worth it in the end I hope lol. Its amazing how much different the mod motors and LS motors are.
    Last edited by USMCPONY; 07-03-2016 at 04:53 AM.

Nice work Mike.
    2015 Gt

Looks good Mike, the PBH brackets are next up on my list. I had to notch the motor mount just like you did to get it to bolt up as well so that makes me feel better. I already have a mustang front cover sitting on the garage as I was told I would need that to use with the PBH brackets. I got an alternator with my truck engine, hoping it is still good, as it should work with the kit since it was the original truck(automatic) alt.
    2011 F150 FX4 SCREW EB
    1997 Cobra Coyote Swap w/IRS project in progress slowly....
    89 Mustang SSP 5.0 Turbo -Gone
    03 SVT Focus Turbo -Gone

So what did you figure out for the steering and headers?
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

I am guessing this is the reference you used for the stock mustang headers.. http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...breeding-easy/
    They dont say much about fitment around the steering shaft.
    As nice as it sounds I opted for a set of swap headers from BBK, not fancy stainless but they were one of the original sets out there and they seem to have good reviews for fitment.
    2011 F150 FX4 SCREW EB
    1997 Cobra Coyote Swap w/IRS project in progress slowly....
    89 Mustang SSP 5.0 Turbo -Gone
    03 SVT Focus Turbo -Gone

We are still looking around to see what's out there as far as headers go. A manufacturer was jerking us around promising to build a set for us in exchange for using the car to do so. Well after 3.5 months of procrastination, they finally said they were too busy and couldn't do it. So now we are back to square one. Got a flywheel, so clutch and bellhousing are going on today finally. Then wire up starter, etc. I'll be soldering wires today from the factory harness to the FRPP controls harness. Going to try and get the gauges working on the factory dash as well.

Any updates on this build?

Tons of progress, but no time to host and post pics and write up an article. Maybe this weekend things will slow down a bit and I can find some time to do it. Been working a lot on Dustin's car and my truck puked so had to fix it as well. Tomorrow is coyote fox day. Trans should go in.

Wow, been a while. I ended up getting bbk headers and x pipe that shayne helped me get on the car. We had to remove the front suspension twice once to get the headeds on, and second time for clearancing the headers. Not much was needed to get them to fit with a stock kmember, a slight flattenning of one tube for about 3" or so. Kmember is back in and all tightened up. Brakes are final assembled and bearings packed, etc. Picked up a like new 2.95 first gear T5 and swapped that into it, got radiator hoses and such hooked up but still looking for a nice degas tank to put on. Found a ground wire that needs run back to the battery so that's on the list. Still need an aluminum driveshaft and a 3" catback. Got the fuel system lines figured out and plumbed. Fired up the fuel pump and no leaks.
    Getting so close now.

Car cranked over yesterday! Just made sure the starter worked. Have to do a few more little things before we crank for oil pressure. I'm getting excited.
    Last edited by NXcoupe; 04-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.

pics!!!

We have oil pressure! First few cranks it got 20 psi or more!

Thread Information