Thread: t45 shifting issue

t45 shifting issue

In my cobra i notice that ONLY when moving forward, then shifting from first to second its hard unlike the other gears . No grinding but almost a thunk if that makes sense. Now going backwards reverse to second does not have any issue. All testing was with the clutch on the floor of course. Nothing good can come from reverse to second with the clutch out!!. I have a firewall adjuster, and a fairly new adjustable cable and a double hook quadrant and have adjusted the clutch 6 ways to sunday. Having said that it does feel like the clutch isnt releasing quite all the way. Oh, and just sitting still I can run the rpms over 4k and it into shifts every gear like butter. So only happens while going forward shifting from 1st to 2nd. Havnt seen if it does it for sure when the trans is warm but I think it does. Any ideas? ??
    Last edited by timdsellers; 01-11-2016 at 05:17 AM.

Have you ever had any issues getting into first gear while at or coming to a stop?

Burrs on the first gear side of the 1-2 slider will give you problems when coming out of first.

Have you tried a 1-3 skip shift? Also a dragging clutch could have caused the first gear issues which show up on 1-2 shift. Engine off vs. engine on shifting will also help point this out.

While I mostly play with Honda 5 speed, some symptoms are universal.

I never shift into first unless ive stopped so not sure about that one. First to third skip shifts perfect. If it is a dragging clutch why does it only drag on 1st to 2nd gear and no other gears? Engine off shifts perfect all gears, engine on while not moving shifts perfect all gears, its just first to second while moving seems to hang. Cant figure it out yet. Got fluid so going to change it and go from there. Ideas???
    Last edited by timdsellers; 01-11-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Try giving Zak at The T45 Source a call.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

Thanks, I will give him a call tomorrow. Any of you guys upgrade your t45s to something else like 3650, tko or even t56? I have a 4.56 rearend so double overdrive gear would be nice.

I have a TKO600 in my car. If Zak could still get the adapters to use a normal bell housing I would have gone with one of his T45s.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

Thread Information