Thread: 2016 Camaro SS

2016 Camaro SS

Before the hate starts, I do in fact, realize where I'm posting this. However, this drive was noteable. So, I work in the automall, and personally sell Dodges. I drive at least one badass Challenger per day. My buddy who is a Chevy salesman drove a blue 2SS automatic Camaro to my showroom and made the mistake of leaving the keys in it. Oops! Time for some "competitive product analysis."
    First impression: Holy Shit! Shifts are firm, crisp and on point, complete with backfire at wide-open throttle. This SS will annihilate an SRT Challenger in a stoplight drag. In the corners it was easy to point and shoot, with heavy throttle application at apex. Truly an impressive machine. Brakes are better on the challenger, but only just so.
    I recommend the test drive.
    Certified Jeep Wave Recipient

Still like the looks of the Challenger over the Camaro. So what is in/on the 2SS package?

Agreed, the Challenger looks so aggressive and authentic, although you feel it's weight when changing directions. Camaro is some 700lbs lighter and is very noticeable. IIRC the Mustangs are lighter still. I've not driven a coyote, but did drive an ecoboost Mustang and it was quite nimble.
    This 2SS had sunroof, nav, leather and flappy paddles which looked cheaper, yet felt more natural than the Challenger's. It honestly is a hoot to drive, as are they all. Welcome to modern muscle car wars.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
    Agreed, the Challenger looks so aggressive and authentic, although you feel it's weight when changing directions. Camaro is some 700lbs lighter and is very noticeable. IIRC the Mustangs are lighter still. I've not driven a coyote, but did drive an ecoboost Mustang and it was quite nimble.
    This 2SS had sunroof, nav, leather and flappy paddles which looked cheaper, yet felt more natural than the Challenger's. It honestly is a hoot to drive, as are they all. Welcome to modern muscle car wars.
    The 2016 Camaros are now lighter than the Mustang--plus more power.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Venom View Post
    The 2016 Camaros are now lighter than the Mustang--plus more power.
    True but about 7k price difference plus to me the refresh Camaro's are ugly that big grill bleck. Of course it will be faster than a challenger, challengers look awesome but are a land barge compared to the Camaro or Mustang. Have you driven any Hellcat's?
    2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

Never drove a Hellcat. Truthfully, the Hellcat is so heavy it would never interest me. I agree with you regarding the Camaro's looks. I did drive one and it feels like you are sitting in a pillbox--serious blind spot issues.

Anyone who thinks the Hellcat is a heavy pig, has never driven one in anger. What would you like a report on, the 6-speed manual or the 8-speed automatic?

The 2015 Camaro had horrible blind spots, the '16 wasn't nearly as bad.

Never drove a Hellcat. Truthfully, the Hellcat is so heavy it would never interest me. I agree with you regarding the Camaro's looks. I did drive one and it feels like you are sitting in a pillbox--serious blind spot issues.
    I hear blind spots are another complaint. But supposedly are not supposed to be as bad with the 16 M.Y.
    2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
    Anyone who thinks the Hellcat is a heavy pig, has never driven one in anger. What would you like a report on, the 6-speed manual or the 8-speed automatic?
    I understand that the Hellcat has prodigious straight line capabilities, but I am more concerned with handling and you can't get a 4500 lb. car to corner like a much lighter car with a lower center of gravity. A C7 Corvette, and probably a SS Camaro, would destroy a Hellcat on a road course.

I understand that the Hellcat has prodigious straight line capabilities, but I am more concerned with handling and you can't get a 4500 lb. car to corner like a much lighter car with a lower center of gravity. A C7 Corvette, and probably a SS Camaro, would destroy a Hellcat on a road course.
    Straight-line it's ridiculous. I was quite surprised on the capabilities of a 4,800 lb behemoth as I flogged it between Amelia and Batavia on curvy back roads. It will never out corner a Vette, or Viper, but surprisingly for what it is, my opinion is that it's quite the overachiever. A lot of road feedback, unlike the vettes and camaros, with their numb electric steering. While the HC is physically enormous, I never felt I didn't know where all 4 tires were.
    It will have haters, and sure, it doesn't perform like a $100k+ sports car. I can say this with the authority of an expert on fun, the only thing you will say after driving one is, "Wow!"

I sat in a 2016 Camaro yesterday. Outward visibility is really low. I felt little cramped in it. Other than that it was a nice car. I guess you can get use to those things once you start driving it.
    Joe

BLASPHEMY !!! Pure Unadulterated BLASPHEMY !!!

I have been looking at Vettes though ... Shhhhh !!!
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

Sat in a 2016 Mustang, I don't care if it's slower. It felt roomier and way easier to see out of. I even like the dash layout better.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    Sat in a 2016 Mustang, I don't care if it's slower. It felt roomier and way easier to see out of. I even like the dash layout better.
    Roomier I am sure. Slower than Camaro for 16 stock v stock? I'd like to see the stock to stock compare at the track. The numbers say one thing, where the rubber meets the road is yet another.

You can throw driver error into it but there are 11 second time slips on stock camaros SS with stock tires trapping almost 120 mph.
    Joe

Yeah, the tables are reversed again. Before 2016, the Mustang was lighter and had slightly more power. Now the Camaro is lighter, with more power.

I want a GT 350R badly, but that's a ways off until you can buy one for sticker.

I've always enjoyed rooting for the underdog. Guess that's why I prefer Mustangs to vettes, Indiana over Kentucky, and hoped Wile E Coyote would catch and eat that blasted Roadrunner. Nothing will ever change that.

I don't care how fast the Camaro is, it is still an unattractive car. I'll take a Mustang.
    2006 Premium GT Convertible
    Screaming Yellow, Black Top
    CORSA Performance Exhaust
    Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
    5 Speed
    Satellite Radio
    Shaker 500 Audio System
    MGW Shifter
    6000K HID headlights
    Brenspeed 89 octane tune
    Verdestein Hypertyrac tires

Thread Information