Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project Red Rocket!

Ever since you started this I keep seeing 4 banger cars and 2.3 motors for sale on FB and instantly think of this build...lol

Don't know if anyone else as noticed, but the SVO's have been really taking off in prices lately. Just think 10 years ago no one wanted anything to do with those little bastards and now they are as expensive as a excellent shape V8 notchback.
    2017 BMW 430i
    2012 Chevy Impala 9C3

Quote Originally Posted by CNTLOSE View Post
    Ever since you started this I keep seeing 4 banger cars and 2.3 motors for sale on FB and instantly think of this build...lol

Don't know if anyone else as noticed, but the SVO's have been really taking off in prices lately. Just think 10 years ago no one wanted anything to do with those little bastards and now they are as expensive as a excellent shape V8 notchback.
    Lol, you're not the only one. I have been told by quite a few people they have their eye out for a 2.3 5 spd car. And yeah, those SVO cars were just not popular until recently. Wish I could have snagged a low mileage one up back in the day and kept it nice. Turbocoupe thunderbirds are really underappreciated as well imho. I have the donor stang on the rack at the shop. Got to go to a wedding today out of town, but will be back tomorrow and get started on yanking the engine out and getting it up on a stand. It's a 4 cyl, should take half the time of a V8! get it? See what I did there? lol.
    Last edited by NXcoupe; 06-25-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Last edited by NXcoupe; 06-25-2016 at 11:28 AM.

I got it, half the V8... Lol
    #9 2011 Spring Street Car Shoutout

1991 Mini Tubed Mustang Coupe, in the works.
    351W base, PG, Stock Suspension chassis

well damn. sounds like your having a lot of fun there mike. hopefully everything turns out good for you.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I bought a 91 LX 4 cyl car with a 2.3 that runs. I'm going to get it up in the air today and start pulling the engine out of it. Then the rest of the car will be for sale. It was thin pickings looking for a 2.3 car tho. Not a lot of them left out there.

We use to cruise in my friends mustang 2.3 rag top. It's hard to believe they put an 88hp motor in those cars. He ran a 19.9 at edgewater in it.
    Joe

What you going to want for it mike
    [IMG][/IMG]

for the roller? Not sure yet. It'll be cheap tho, I know that for sure. Want to get it up in the air and see how the underside looks and take a good look at the shock towers once the engine is out of it. I'll post it here first, like I always do. Then it'll go to craigslist if no one jumps on it here.

i got first dips mike lol
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ok. I am pulling the engine now. So by the end of the weekend it should be ready.

Let me know
    [IMG][/IMG]

Pulling the engineout of the donor tonight if it all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    We use to cruise in my friends mustang 2.3 rag top. It's hard to believe they put an 88hp motor in those cars. He ran a 19.9 at edgewater in it.
    It was enough to smoke the tires if you had a stick shift and crazy ass driver. One of the girls we grew up with had one and let my buddy drive it to take us all home one night. 5 people in the car and it was nothing but sideways smoky powerslides around every corner.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

I want to get mine to that point. I didn't get the engine out of the donor yet, going to try to get to that today. In the process of working and trying to get my truck back to functioning again at the same time. I think that stupid Mcleod slave cylinder started leaking yet again. I hate that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    It was enough to smoke the tires if you had a stick shift and crazy ass driver. One of the girls we grew up with had one and let my buddy drive it to take us all home one night. 5 people in the car and it was nothing but sideways smoky powerslides around every corner.
    The one I rode in was an auto. You probably had to power dump the clutch to do that, haha!
    Last edited by PKFIRE; 07-12-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    Joe

Definitely redline clutch drops at every corner.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

So update: donor engine is out. My truck is running but shackle broke on the leafspring so I had to replace it today with daves help. Engine is on stand. Pics to come.

This is a cool project! I just bought a one owner 1986 Turbo Coupe and still trying to decide what to do with it.

Thanks! I'd keep it. They are a blast to drive and you never see them much anymore. I had an 88 I wish I'd kept. I have to get this thread updated. Lot is changing with it.

Thread Information