Thread: Best way to paint wheels

Best way to paint wheels

I'm wanting to change it up some. Right now new wheels are out of the question unless i found some very cheap. So my options are limited. I want to go black on my wheels, question is what is the best way on a budget to get them done. They are chrome 03/04 premium wheels that look like the 99/01 cobra wheels. I want glossy black and would like to keep the chrome lip or paint it the same color as the car. Any suggestions on paint/prep and how much would powdercoating cost?
    Josh (Hardcore) Harcourt
    2003 GT (Redfire Clearcoat)
    Gearheds Car Club

Vortech V1 s-trim s/c, CX Racing front mount IC, 3.73 gears, Mac Offroad X-Pipe, Mac Catback, PP 75mm TB, RPM Upper plenum, Exedy Mach 400 Clutch, Exedy flywheel, Steeda Tria-ax shifter, Eibach Springs, Tokico Struts, Mach 1 grille delete, Mach 1 lip spoiler.

Been contemplating the same thing Josh. Maybe you should contact mustangboy (Kenny). He has a powder coating business. Killer Koatings is the name of his business.

sent you a PM with Kenny's 411.

Everyone will say "we do it all the time and it's fine" but- powdercoating ovens gets hot enough to affect the properties of the aluminum.

It's only $550 to buy a set of black painted knock-off 03 Cobra wheels from American Muscle. Might be cheaper doing that and selling the ones you have. If you really want the ones you have to be black, the chrome should be blasted off, then you can paint or PC.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

http://www.americanmuscle.com/anthra....html#shop-by3

Anthracite FR500's look really nice on edge body with redfirepearl IMHO. And like mentioned above, less than 600 shipped and resell the others.

^^^Thanks for pointing out the potential heat effects on aluminum wheels. Never factored that into the equation as to how that would effect them.

Yeah I realize that some new wheels aren't that expensive, however at the moment with a new baby, I just don't have it to spend. But I'm dying for a change right now, I've been keeping my eyes open for a set of used wheels. Unfortunately no one wants to trade for my stock wheels for anything decent.
    Josh (Hardcore) Harcourt
    2003 GT (Redfire Clearcoat)
    Gearheds Car Club

Vortech V1 s-trim s/c, CX Racing front mount IC, 3.73 gears, Mac Offroad X-Pipe, Mac Catback, PP 75mm TB, RPM Upper plenum, Exedy Mach 400 Clutch, Exedy flywheel, Steeda Tria-ax shifter, Eibach Springs, Tokico Struts, Mach 1 grille delete, Mach 1 lip spoiler.

I just sent a quote request for powder coating against a set I could buy650 new and was told by the guy via email it would be easier and cheaper overall to buy replacements in the color I want and sell the others. Now if you are looking for a semi matt finish Tommy (RTVickers) can give you heads up on plastidipping or whatever that's called. Good luck. Say hi to the new rug rat for us. LOL!

Many aluminum wheels are powder coated from the factory, I wouldn't think twice about having them coated if you can afford it. To paint them, you'll need to clean them really well, REALLY well, meaning no oils or silicone of any kind on them. Then you would need to scuff them, prime them and then paint them.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

If you are on a tight budget plastidip is the way to go. To do a set of 17's assuming the chrome is in perfect or nearly perfect condition you would be looking at approx $325 to coat a single solid color. To leave a bare lip price nearly doubles as masking and prep is very labor intensive. If you need tires dismounted and remounted and balanced we charge $100 for that
    ">

I did a set of FR's a few years back with the Duplicolor wheel primer, paint and clear. I sanded them down really good and then wiped em down with some alcohol and they turned out great. I can't see the point in having a cheaper set of wheels PC'd when you can make em look great with some rattle cans.
    2011 Black on Black GT

Quote Originally Posted by Rick93coupe View Post
    Many aluminum wheels are powder coated from the factory, I wouldn't think twice about having them coated if you can afford it.
    They are heat treated after the PC. Its not the same as throwing an OEM wheel in some guys PC oven post heat treat.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

If your on a budget scuff with red scotchbrite pad, etch primer, paint and clear. I've done this before and it will hold up for a few years, I know how it is having the babies!
    1970 Ford F100 SWB - good old 300-6, 3spd...302 to come with balls...

2015 F150 Super Crew- 5.0, Race Red, 4x4, 6" lift on 35's, magnaflow exhaust, true duals and CAI to be added in the future

Thread Information