Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuners for us slow guys - Rant

Tuners for us slow guys - Rant

So just saying that unless you are spending $$$ with a company (VMP) for a supercharger , they could care less about the NA guys or slow guys. I was looking for different results from a tuner - decided to try VMP for an email tune - went back and forth with logs with the guy 7 times. Each time the results were the same - car would 60 ft great but fall on it's face after the 330. I could load my other tune and run it - would be almost .15 to .25 seconds faster and 3mph faster. Showed him the data in the logs and the time slips. Finally got an email that said anymore tune revisions would be a $50 per revision.

VMP was at Bowling Green , I was at Bowling Green. Decided to go talk them and was even willing to pay the $100 for 3 dyno pulls that they were offering to get some solid data to make tune changes. Went to the both twice and asked , both times waited 25 minutes and no one came back to me.

I recognize I am just a little customer but still a paying customer nevertheless. I wouldn't run VMP if you paid me now just on principle. I know it is working great for some with the supercharger but seems the rest of us get a cold shoulder. /endrant /takesoapboxandleave

So your saying Mr. Yolodouchbag isn't an act?
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

I Know a guy who is all gangbusters about running a VMP tune on his 14 coyote when he gets his CJ set up with spray, but I keep telling him I would reconsider and maybe try some of the great local guys first.
    2011 F150 FX4 SCREW EB
    1997 Cobra Coyote Swap w/IRS project in progress slowly....
    89 Mustang SSP 5.0 Turbo -Gone
    03 SVT Focus Turbo -Gone

Quote Originally Posted by gzbs197 View Post
    So just saying that unless you are spending $$$ with a company (VMP) for a supercharger , they could care less about the NA guys or slow guys. I was looking for different results from a tuner - decided to try VMP for an email tune - went back and forth with logs with the guy 7 times. Each time the results were the same - car would 60 ft great but fall on it's face after the 330. I could load my other tune and run it - would be almost .15 to .25 seconds faster and 3mph faster. Showed him the data in the logs and the time slips. Finally got an email that said anymore tune revisions would be a $50 per revision.

VMP was at Bowling Green , I was at Bowling Green. Decided to go talk them and was even willing to pay the $100 for 3 dyno pulls that they were offering to get some solid data to make tune changes. Went to the both twice and asked , both times waited 25 minutes and no one came back to me.

I recognize I am just a little customer but still a paying customer nevertheless. I wouldn't run VMP if you paid me now just on principle. I know it is working great for some with the supercharger but seems the rest of us get a cold shoulder. /endrant /takesoapboxandleave
    Just to give you some comparison, I don't own a VMP SC either. I made the mistake of going through Roush. VMP was suggested to me as a resolve for the issues I was having which had been diagnosed by everyone except Roush as tune related. I spent only $50 more than you spent on your tune. Oh and I bought a smaller pulley and larger idler. Tune was spot on. Datalogs sent back as I was told to do. Responses were received a few days later. I realize I am not the only fish in the aquarium.

Turn to 2014. New car, same setup. Purchased the same tune package again from VMP. Spent less this time than the last time. Took several pulls to get the tune where it was optimized. Then several weeks at the track fine tuning shift points and spark advance to get me closer to that 10.9x. I got as close as 11.03 without beating the piss out of the car on a conservative tune. Alex worked long hours with me on the phone each week and taking time to explain things so I could better comprehend what I was looking at in effort to provide him better data as he made corrections based on data I provided and our conversations.

This kind of effort and their respect of "yes sir" and "no sir' replies regardless of who I was talking to when I called prompted me to make other purchases from them. I even purchased an open air intake second hand and they retuned for that at no fee when I called to ask about needing to improve fuel flow with a BAP for that addition.

At the tent, I had no issues speaking with Travis, Rebecca, Alex, or Justin. But also respected the fact that they were doing business and needed to tend to paying customers as well. I to was scheduled to go on the dyno, but after a quick chat with Alex I chose to cancel it because I would really gain no knowledge from doing so since all of my dyno pulls have been here locally. I was curious what increase I would see with the OR H pipe I had added. And realized half way into the discussion that I was wasting $100 bucks with VMP for results that could not be compared to what I was seeing from the dyno at Finish Line because they would respond differently.

My point here is that I am no big fish either with VMP. I have not spent $10,000 with them for the service I have received. I have received less than adequate service from spending more than $12K with Brenspeed in times past I can certainly tell you that.

I suggest you call and talk to BJ about this. And during the conversation explain to him what you are experiencing. Tell him Chad from Cincinnati told you to call. Tell him you would like to work with Alex on your tune. I think you will be more than pleased if you just take the time to do this. Also don't forget that you have a failing stall converter which could relate to this problem as well. IF they are unaware of that or that you are running one it could well effect the outcome of your tune.

I understand your frustration. I really do. I would urge you to deal with this professionally with the BJ their manager first hand or with Justin himself before throwing in the towel. There are few like these guys who have treated me with the respect VMP has. And believe me I have not spent that much with them. I have tried to keep most purchases local unless purchasing from them saves me cash on the free retune.

Hope you did okay in TS.

Quote Originally Posted by egbertnr View Post
    I Know a guy who is all gangbusters about running a VMP tune on his 14 coyote when he gets his CJ set up with spray, but I keep telling him I would reconsider and maybe try some of the great local guys first.
    For that setup which I would consider a bit more complex than my simple 2300TVS package I would go with a more local route as well. remote tuning has worked well for me for my application, but a straight forward 2300 TVS package is more predictable than a setup like you are describing IMHO. Therefore I would be more likely to go to a local because of that. My guys in Milford directed me to VMP. Between Finish Line and VMP I have had great results this year. BUT again, IF I were to do a setup much more complex I would look to a more local option. Some times hands on is the better way to go when given two equally capable options.
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 10-03-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Adding the 2 extra quarts and the new pan with new fluid resolved my issue on the converter. No slip this weekend at all on any of my pulls. I just need a better converter lol. I sent BJ an email this morning detailing everything , expressed I was not a happy customer , didn't ask for anything other than they learn from my experience and treat the next small customer better than me. Will see what he says. Season is almost over anyways for racing so hopefully I will be running a new converter and turbo this spring so the tune issue wont be a problem. Plan on using Dynotune motorsports in Columbus.

If I dont get a response in a few days I will call and name drop and see how it goes.

I would be happy to go to a local guy for a tune if there was one in the area that is recommended. Everyone I have talked to doesnt want to touch you if your an S197 running NA. Makes you feel like a red headed step child.

Adding the 2 extra quarts and the new pan with new fluid resolved my issue on the converter. No slip this weekend at all on any of my pulls. I just need a better converter lol. I sent BJ an email this morning detailing everything , expressed I was not a happy customer , didn't ask for anything other than they learn from my experience and treat the next small customer better than me. Will see what he says. Season is almost over anyways for racing so hopefully I will be running a new converter and turbo this spring so the tune issue wont be a problem. Plan on using Dynotune motorsports in Columbus.

If I dont get a response in a few days I will call and name drop and see how it goes.

I would be happy to go to a local guy for a tune if there was one in the area that is recommended. Everyone I have talked to doesnt want to touch you if your an S197 running NA. Makes you feel like a red headed step child.
    I may be wrong but some guys who are looking to be fair will tell you that an N/A with minimal upgrades is as effective through a "canned tune" or "email tune" as a more expensive custom tune which can run $450 plus tuner as an example. There are several good options within reasonable driving from you here locally. Finishline in Milford, S&M Motorsports in Cleves, and Dayton Performance in Dayton all have respectable reputations. There are others as well.

I don't know anything about the Columbus area.

Yea I am fine with email tunes. Just finding one that works the best is the hard part.

As far as emailed tunes, What about Ken Bjonnes? I know he is doing well at Palm Beach Dyno and have heard a lot of his success lately.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Never heard of him. I am working with VMP to see what they can do. Hopefully , they can take the best of their tune (the launch , 60ft times) and make changes to the last half of it to get me where I would like to be.

I talked to a few local shops about tuning my Lincoln. Yes, a Lincoln. I don't have a lot of money, I don't have any power adders, I don't go to the track anymore... and they were more than happy to take the time to talk to me about it. Now, to just get it together and choose a dyno shop...

But I'll always try to keep my business local when it comes to shops/dyno/parts if at all possible. Might be worth the trip down here and have it tuned by one of many tuners here.

Never heard of him. I am working with VMP to see what they can do. Hopefully , they can take the best of their tune (the launch , 60ft times) and make changes to the last half of it to get me where I would like to be.
    Ken B was a local guy that started MD Motorsports (aka Modular Depot) about 13 years ago. Great guy and one of the original gang that was on the site from infancy as I understand it. He tuned two of my cars and did a nice job. Took a job offer with Diablo, went to Florida and never returned. I don't blame him. Aside from the snakes down there, I'd stayed as well. He then moved on to Jon Lund and now on his own again. I keep forgetting he left Lund and branched out again on his own. MD Motorsports was acquired and closed sometime later unfortunately. Don't know the details why.

Tuners for us slow guys - Rant

I have been extremely happy with dayton performance on my tuning. He started with me on my cobra. Just NA and a few bolt ons. CAI, shorties and gears. He is in moraine right off I75. If you need his number just pm me. Or him. He is nxcoupe on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #2 - 2020 DD Challenge List

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage
    2000 Saleen S281SC - factory "stock"

ADAM MAURER @ S&M motorsports is my absolute first choice for tuning. He tells it how it is.
    Xtreme Outlaw Series
    S&M Motorsports llc
    Precision Turbo
    Performance Torque Converters
    Leash Electronics

Another vote for Adam. I had some issues before I took it to him and it was a different car when I picked it up. Unfortunately my engine is blowed up right now but it's because the PO didn't assemble it very well. And I think the redheaded step child award still is claimed by the NA 2v guys lols

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4n_eatr View Post
    Another vote for Adam. I had some issues before I took it to him and it was a different car when I picked it up. Unfortunately my engine is blowed up right now but it's because the PO didn't assemble it very well. And I think the redheaded step child award still is claimed by the NA 2v guys lols

Damn man was wondering if you were going to make it to C&C this year. I agree about that award I had a red 96 GT once that's what I called it.

2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

Quote Originally Posted by Blkcobra01 View Post
    Damn man was wondering if you were going to make it to C&C this year. I agree about that award I had a red 96 GT once that's what I called it.

I really wanted to but my car has been acting up all year and it finally started knocking a few weeks ago. I'm working on restoring my truck right now and rebuilding the Mustang engine this winter.

I really wanted to but my car has been acting up all year and it finally started knocking a few weeks ago. I'm working on restoring my truck right now and rebuilding the Mustang engine this winter.

I've got a short block with Melling pump with billet gears and Canton oil pan that would be great in that thing with some TFS.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

Quote Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
    I've got a short block with Melling pump with billet gears and Canton oil pan that would be great in that thing with some TFS.
    I saw that and I'm sure it would be fast as hell but I have to see how much the bodywork on my truck is going to be first. How do you think it'd work with just Fox Lake stage 2 PI heads?

Well hopefully I'll see ya and the car or truck next spring? What kind of truck?

2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

Thread Information