Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ported m112 vs tvs 2.3 or 2.3 whipple.

Hybrid View

Ported m112 vs tvs 2.3 or 2.3 whipple.

I'm debating on just keeping my ported v+ blower or going to a larger supercharger. I'm not sure if the gain is worth it or not. My car runs pretty good with just 12.5 psi of boost on the ported blower. I've thought about getting more boost out of it. I want to stick with my stock tb but I see that getting much over 575 whp isn't easy with one but it's also power under the curve that matters. I had a huge headache with a dragon tb idling issue and I don't want to go through that again.
    Joe

The TVS is the way to go if you are upgrading the blower. It's still a roots style compressor and does not compress the air when you are out of boost. Twin screws compressors are always compressing the air (and therefore heating it up) even when you are just cruising. The compressed air gets bypassed back to the top of the blower of course, and some of the air is "blown" between the sides of the case and the rotors like a roots style- but the majority of the air is always traveling through the screws and being heated.

The Eaton can only move so much air, and that's going to ultimately limit how much power you can make.

The TB issue is a whole separate animal. I have a stock TB on my 2.3L Whipple, I didn't want to spend the extra $700 at the time for the single blade, and I didn't want drivability issues. It seems like plenty of guys are running the big TBs nowadays without issue. I've heard the throttle is crazy touchy with the big monoblades though. I'd go with a bigger twin TB if that's an option for the blower you are considering.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

Id say a TVS with the GT500 TB. They are making killer power with that setup.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Id say a TVS with the GT500 TB. They are making killer power with that setup.
    This is my plan with E85.

Quote Originally Posted by rtvickers View Post
    This is my plan with E85.
    Its hard to beat that set up. I think that's what Ricky is running and it runs good.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Its hard to beat that set up. I think that's what Ricky is running and it runs good.
    Yep that is my setup on pump gas and put down 599.1 on Adams Mustang Dyno.
    03 Terminator, stock with a VMP TVS, 80# injectors, SCT BA3000, 599.1 HP 569 tq, tuned by Adam Maurer @ S&M Motorsports. 10.42@134 mph.

VMP 2.3 TVS. Check it out. WIsh I had known about their stuff before I bought the Roush. They look similar on the outside, but are reworked different on the inside.

I just don't want to pick one up and spend decent amount to not go much faster. I want to keep it on 93 pump gas and the ported blower I have has a little bit more wiggle room. I don't know my IATs but I do know I never had a heat issue with it. Last dyno only dropped 2hp between back to back pulls.
    Joe

Well, you will spend a decent amount and not go much faster if you keep it running 93 octane. It will be faster, and the blower will run cooler for the same airflow- but just marginally. You need to go to race gas or E85 and run 20+ psi to really make the bigger blowers shine. I'm still glad I have my 2.3L Whipple though, even at 16 psi. I can always turn it up, an M112 Eaton is basically done at 16 psi, flat lining around 5200 RPMs probably.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

What pulley are you running on your whipple?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    What pulley are you running on your whipple?
    It's been so long since i messed with it, I'm not 100% sure on the upper- but I think it's a 3.5 upper with a 4 lb lower. Mine is the old Gen 1 Lysolm Ford Racing Whipple, so it makes a bit less boost than the current 2.3L blowers. I have I think the only 10 rib belt caged 4lb lower in existence for these cars. It wasn't cheap.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

VMP TVS with E85 and a return set up. That's what I plan on doing down the road. The removable inlet is worth it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

I enjoy e85 but cold starts can be iffy if not tuned perfectly. There are quite a few stations by me and I now have ran it in my Volvo and Srt4 with good results. As for now I just want a 93 pump gas tune. The only thing I don't like is I'll have to put a larger crank pulley to increase the boost on the Eaton. No one wants to part with their caged 4lb lower cheaply. It's almost better to sell my ported blower and get a second hand 2.3 whipple than paying 1000 for a 4lb caged lower.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    I enjoy e85 but cold starts can be iffy if not tuned perfectly. There are quite a few stations by me and I now have ran it in my Volvo and Srt4 with good results. As for now I just want a 93 pump gas tune. The only thing I don't like is I'll have to put a larger crank pulley to increase the boost on the Eaton. No one wants to part with their caged 4lb lower cheaply. It's almost better to sell my ported blower and get a second hand 2.3 whipple than paying 1000 for a 4lb caged lower.
    You missed a guy just did a batch run of those on SVTP.

2001 Cobra Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Blkcobra01 View Post
    You missed a guy just did a batch run of those on SVTP.

He's only selling the pulley, you'll have to tear down your lower and install the pulley he's selling. Still not a bad deal, and you get to re-build the bushings in the tribar, and the main bearing as well.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    He's only selling the pulley, you'll have to tear down your lower and install the pulley he's selling. Still not a bad deal, and you get to re-build the bushings in the tribar, and the main bearing as well.
    Damn I mis-read the thread. I thought he was buying up caged lowers and having a machine shop do the work. Then selling.

2001 Cobra Sold

It depends on what your long term goal is. My 2.3 whipple served me well and made damn good power on e85. It was a good solution given my budget at the time. The Tvs will give you more room to grow in the future if you decide to turn it up. It is a more efficient blower and will make more power, more efficiently than a 2.3 whipple.

I'm leaning towards a TVS but a whipple at right price would be fine also. I want to gradually add more power to keep it interesting. 600 whp would be nice someday since it seems the norm now for new boosted muscle cars.
    Joe

There is one guy on SVTperformance that has one for sale completed for 1100.
    Joe

Sweet Tommy! Let us know when you decide to do that. This maybe will help sway my decision to get rid of my port.
    Joe

Thread Information