Thread: Blew the ole AODE in my 94...NOW WHAT

Blew the ole AODE in my 94...NOW WHAT

Last week, I took my 94 out for a good cleaning for winter storage. I decided to do one last good pull, before I put it up. When going down a straight away with OD off, a loud thunk happened and now I have no third or fourth gear. I have first, a little bit of second and reverse. Currently debating on whether to find a Craigslist AODE and put a stall on it, Take my AODE to a shop and have it rebuilt, or try an find a 94-95 T5 (which is nearly impossible.) I currently have 4.10's and am not sure how well I would like a T5 with that ratio. So, whats your guys thoughts?
    1994 HCI 5.0 AODE (Somedays wish it was a T5): Edelbrock Performer Heads, 1.6 Comp RR's, TFS 1 Cam, Typhoon U/L Intake, Stock FPR, Summit Shorty Headers, Flowmaster True Duals, Deleted A/C + SMOG, B&M Shift Kit, 4.10's, 24# Injectors, Stock MAF + TB.
    TUNED BY -S&M Motorsports- Cleves, Ohio

Might be best to just have someone go through yours. Atleast that way you know what you have rather than buying someone else's that may have issues.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

If you want to build the aod I have heard good things about silver fox transmission and Darrin Burch with Bc automotive. If you want to go stick try to find a used 3550 or tko that's in good working order.

Rebuild it. Full manual valve body. Hurt shifter. Converter.
    "The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

A couple questions: Is a manual valve body a performance gain? Also, is there any local guys who can at least take a look at it to figure out the problem once I pull it, before I make a decision on what to do?
    1994 HCI 5.0 AODE (Somedays wish it was a T5): Edelbrock Performer Heads, 1.6 Comp RR's, TFS 1 Cam, Typhoon U/L Intake, Stock FPR, Summit Shorty Headers, Flowmaster True Duals, Deleted A/C + SMOG, B&M Shift Kit, 4.10's, 24# Injectors, Stock MAF + TB.

Check with DirtyDog, Alan Brown. He may be able to point you in the right direction. I know he has done a few of them. I don't have his number any more but Im sure someone on here does.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I second dirty dog, he knows his way around them. I'd give him a call, have him rebuild it with a convertor and slap it back in. A stall convertor really wakes up a sluggish aod.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

Third for dirty dog. A manual valve body makes shifts occur quicker and when you want them to happen. Makes trans a little stronger in some cases and gives you trans brake capability as well.

I'll give Alan a call tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information