Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What motivates you as far as working on your car?

I try and work alone as its comforting to me. I deal with stuff all day at work, so its nice to unplug and just dive in and get shit done. Of course I have the stereo on blast sometimes as that helps also.

Am I the only one, but for whatever reason, Ill just sit looking at the engine bay and go over in my head how I want to run wires, lines, wires etc etc. I mean, Ill stare at it for like 10 minutes and then go work on something else.
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

All the above.

I prefer wrenching with someone, like Joe'e and me did at Craig's old shop.

But with a transmission customer around and talking too much, I make mistakes and have to go back, so times like those I prefer to be alone.

We've all made the "Bud Light/Miller Lite" mistakes and spent more time fixing them the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I like working on my stuff alone, i like the solitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-Tone View Post
    Me too. I hate working with an audience.
    Agree 100% with this.
    -----------------------------------------
    Scott
    93 Coupe
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I try and work alone as its comforting to me. I deal with stuff all day at work, so its nice to unplug and just dive in and get shit done. Of course I have the stereo on blast sometimes as that helps also.

Am I the only one, but for whatever reason, Ill just sit looking at the engine bay and go over in my head how I want to run wires, lines, wires etc etc. I mean, Ill stare at it for like 10 minutes and then go work on something else.
    No, you are not alone. Except I then make a huge list and pick something as my starting point. Wife suggested I use Sunday's as a day I work on only my stuff. I will see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
    I have found a couple things that help...

1. a little friendly competition (trying to keep up with my brother or...)
    2. working alongside someone (friends and family make it more fun)

I have found having somebody in the garage while I am working eases the pain of my mistakes or broken parts.
    I agree, this has helped me as well. But there are times where just out there by myself has been great and seen lots of progress as well.

I have found that I actually get more enjoyment seeing other people getting their own projects done, and helping them get there, versus getting my own done. I don't often allow these same people to help me with my own project. It's a crazy cycle. The biggest obstacle to getting my project done is my own mind, I want everything to be PERFECT or at least perfect to me, and if it's not, I just put off doing ANYTHING until I get the problem resolved. It happens with every part of my car I work on. My car would have easily been out and running YEARS ago if I could just get out of my own way. I know all this, and yet it continues, FML.
    Greg
    Midnight Mafia

Kwik92GT, I found my "happy spot" building transmissions (Honda's) for others, mostly road racers now as they understand the costs involved.

Most cost more than a new TKO 600, one cost four times that.

I prefer working alone also.. Its very easy to get distracted talking to your buddy and forget to tighten something! I do like to help out a friend in need when the opportunity arises.

Thread Information