Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What motivates you as far as working on your car?

What motivates you as far as working on your car?

What gets you out to the garage to work on your machine? What motivates you to want to spend more money and spend hours out in the garage thrashing on your ride to get it a bit quicker than it was?

I was listening to the podcast of SO today and that got me wanting to get out and start working on my stuff, then I realized it's a 20 min drive to the shop, then I have to walk past all the work I have to do there, and I just give up. I need to stay motivated to finish my turbo coyote and get it at the track this year.
    So, share, what gets you going?

Hey just think about how much fun it was when we was all at Edgewater that should motivate you to get it going!!plus think about taking that #1 spot from Shayne that should be enough LOL
    2015 Gt

Taking a hobby and making it a job kills it. Atleast that's how it was for me. After working on them all day, the last thing I wanted to do was work on my own.

Now I work on planes, and still don't work on the car as much as I would like. In your position Mike, that would make it real hard to motivate me. After the drive and looking at others that are paying, wouldn't provide much drive.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Wrenching with friends. Wrenching alone just kills it.

I was called to Mass. to work on an expensive race trans, once that was done helping on the wiring of the road race car, mocking up brackets, drilling speed holes.

I'd hate to be the one doing that alone.

A little sunshine and 60 degree temps gets me thinking about it but I have to agree that having friends to wrench with makes it so much better. Whether it's bouncing ideas of one another or telling old racing stories. Throw in a beer or 2 and your bound to get some stuff done and have a good time.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

Yes, having friends hang out while you are working does help a bunch. Problem is I feel guilty anytime I work on my stuff and not a customer's. Donna suggested I dedicate Sundays to working on my own stuff. We will see how that goes.

Lately.. nothing.

I would rather have friends around when wrenching though, but none live close anymore. I try to get some music with a catchy beat out there in the garage while I'm out there, but I just get demotivated so quickly.. I don't think I'll ever finish a car.

I wish i lived closer and had more time. I would come help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    I wish i lived closer and had more time. I would come help you out.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. Once this thing does get a little more together I'm gonna definitely have to find a fox to use as a reference because this thing has been apart so long I think I've forgotten how it goes back together!

I've got a few of them around here for you to look at for a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stangman View Post
    Lately.. nothing.

I would rather have friends around when wrenching though, but none live close anymore. I try to get some music with a catchy beat out there in the garage while I'm out there, but I just get demotivated so quickly.. I don't think I'll ever finish a car.
    Podcasts or WTUE when I'm working out in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by SN95N/A View Post
    Hey just think about how much fun it was when we was all at Edgewater that should motivate you to get it going!!plus think about taking that #1 spot from Shayne that should be enough LOL
    Yeah, What he said...
    That should be more than enough. Lol
    #9 2011 Spring Street Car Shoutout

1991 Mini Tubed Mustang Coupe, in the works.
    351W base, PG, Stock Suspension chassis

I have no motivation at all these days. I have a couple 'stangs that I tinker with and just have no desire to work on them. I think a lack of free time is part of my problem.
    Only 3 years until retirement though....that should free up about 50 hrs per week !!!
    -----------------------------------------
    Scott
    93 Coupe
    66 Fastback

Seeing the golf clubs in the basement got me more excited than anything of recent. It's been almost 10 years since I was swinging the clubs. I kinda miss being on the course with my pops, hearing the birds and catching some rays while walking 18. it may be time to pull the Callaway's out, dust them off, and start heading to the driving range to grove that swing again.
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 01-18-2017 at 10:47 PM.

I like working on my stuff alone, i like the solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I like working on my stuff alone, i like the solitude.
    Me too. I hate working with an audience.

I like having a project and seeing the results. I have a very stressful management job, so getting into the garage with just me and the car is very relaxing.

Plus, I like to go fast.
    2011 5.0 with a couple turbos.
    Best ET 8.87 lifting....

Nothing. That's why it takes me a year to build one

What I don't understand is, I've rode in some fast cars. But I leave the experience just like it never happened... yes, it was fun, but it doesn't make we want to go start wrenching on mine... at least anymore.

I have found a couple things that help...

1. a little friendly competition (trying to keep up with my brother or...)
    2. working alongside someone (friends and family make it more fun)

I have found having somebody in the garage while I am working eases the pain of my mistakes or broken parts.
    #2 - 2020 DD Challenge List

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage
    2000 Saleen S281SC - factory "stock"

Thread Information