Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popping from the rear end

Hybrid View

Popping from the rear end

Alright, Im about at the end off my rope trying to figure out where my noise is coming from on the Cobra.

It started out when I turned left I got a popping noise from the passenger rear area. Did this a few times while driving it to work. Brought it home and parked it. Had a little bit of a leak from the pinion seal but nothing major. Nothing sticks out to be making the noise. Went to drive it today to a car show and now its doing it under a load too. Brought it back home...

I noticed I have the bushings blown out of the lower control arms. I just ordered new ones tonight from Maximum Motorsports. They are their Weight Jacker control arms. I know they aren't exactly what I should have for the power. I can see where they have moved a little. Could this be the cause?

It has a Eaton Truetrac in it. I have not pulled the cover off to see if the bolts backed out but that's next on the list. I pulled the driveshaft and the U joints felt ok. Nice and snug but not overly tight.

Any suggestions??? It seems to do it when the passenger side squats. That's what makes me think it could just be the lower control arm bushings.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

How do your torque boxes look ? Are they welded and reinforced ? Sometimes you have to remove the uca to see the messed up spot welds.

Yeah they are all welded up nicely with reinforcement plates.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Is it still IRS? Are the axles stock? Noise could be coming from one of them, if so. Its typical for those cv joint to make noise like that under load (the inners in a front wheel drive).

Nope, it's a solid rear and I did the gear swap a year ago. If anything is loose inside, let me know and I will take care of it. In 20 years it would be the first one I did that had an issue like that. Sounds more like bushing noise than rear, unless posi is coming apart?

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    Nope, it's a solid rear and I did the gear swap a year ago. If anything is loose inside, let me know and I will take care of it. In 20 years it would be the first one I did that had an issue like that. Sounds more like bushing noise than rear, unless posi is coming apart?
    Yeah it don't seem like a gear issue. I did read up a little and there has been a few Eaton Truetracs that the bolts have backed out on. Not caused by your work at all. The gear has been perfect. The bushings are on order and Ill replace the U joint too. Hopefully that takes care of it. If that don't fix it Ill pull the cover.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I had one I did for Charlie on his 2005 GT that was a pain to diagnose. I would click when turning under load. Ended up being a cracked differential clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by chad393na View Post
    I had one I did for Charlie on his 2005 GT that was a pain to diagnose. I would click when turning under load. Ended up being a cracked differential clutch.
    It has the Eaton Truetrac in it. They are geared with no clutches. However they are bolted together and a few people have had the bolts back out and caused some noise.
    1992 Gould GT project...

^I would check that out first. If bolts have backed out get that taken care if before it damges the housing.

Ill be pulling the cover off here in the next day or so and checking. Bushings wont be here until Monday now.

On a side note, Ordering from Maximum Motorsports sucks! The bushings was $39, and the shipping was $22 for UPS ground which will take a week. Almost pisses me off enough to just order a set from UPR. Complete bullshit! Knowing you can put them in a box and ship them for under $10... I'd rather pay $55 for the bushings and $5 to ship. Its the principal behind it that gets me...
    1992 Gould GT project...

Try Sam Strano....if you have to order online...

http://www.stranoparts.com/

USPS Priority kicks UPS ass all day long! $14 for a M-FRB up to 70 lbs....

Transmission parts left Cali on Monday...

August 7, 2017, 4:03 pm USPS picked up item SAN DIMAS, CA 91773

should be here Weds. afternoon.
    Last edited by Mista Bone; 08-09-2017 at 02:31 AM.

I have the same LCA and i took all the measurements and ordered urethane bushings from summit. The bushings were here the next day. Of course i ordered a couple other things to get to $99 so the shipping was free. So i guess they got my money one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #2 - 2020 DD Challenge List

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage
    2000 Saleen S281SC - factory "stock"

FWIW I was getting the same popping noise when I did mine. The majority of the noise went away. It is just when I turn sharp now, where it was when turning and under load. My upper bushings are still needing replaced. They are such a pain to get out (even with the tool and heat) I have not replaced those yet. They will get solid spherical bushings when I do it, and maybe the team Z relocating bracket if the budget allows.

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage

Kinda sounds like the spider Gears if it's doing it only while turning. Had it happen to mine.
    2011 Black on Black GT

I have a spool now... so... pretty much has to be my upper bushings. And they get a lot of abuse from me. The car is at the track every week with slicks on. Radials for the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still haven't had a chance to mess with mine. The new bushings will be here tomorrow. I got stuck working all weekend so its just sitting in the garage collecting dust....
    1992 Gould GT project...

Got my bushings today but haven't got them on. Hopefully I can get them in tomorrow. Work has been killing me lately.

I did pull the cover. Nothing noticeable that jumps out. While turning the axle, I do get about an inch of slop before the carrier moves. Not sure what normal is though. Any one have an idea on that? If anything at all, its inside the Truetrac.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Got my bushings today but haven't got them on. Hopefully I can get them in tomorrow. Work has been killing me lately.

I did pull the cover. Nothing noticeable that jumps out. While turning the axle, I do get about an inch of slop before the carrier moves. Not sure what normal is though. Any one have an idea on that? If anything at all, its inside the Truetrac.
    Are you only turning one axle while the other is still on the ground? Thus taking up the slop on BOTH axles?

Doubtful. He prob has it up on stands. I know those have some movement before they lock tho. Just keep the shims on their proper sides and the caps have to go back on the same side and orientation they came off of.

I didn't pull the carrier out. If it comes down to that, Ill be bringing it back to ya!!! Nothing bothers me more than a rear end that whines or vibrates and that's what I will cause! Everything looks good under there so Ill replace the lower control arm bushings and go from there.

Yeah it was up on stands and I was holding the gear with one hand and turning the rotor with the other just to see how much play I got out of it.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thread Information