Thread: New DD

New DD

Well the Mustang is still sitting so not a lot to talk about. Not much use in registering it until I get new injectors. So I picked up a new toy/DD. My little Hyundai finally got too tired for a highway car especially driving to Columbus everyday so I needed something more reliable and a little fun. 2014 Ford Focus ST WITH 26K miles, leather Recaro seats and a Stage 1 tune. Fun little car.
    In other news if anyone needs a cheap car to drive around I'll have a Hyunda for sale, lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nice- will be looking to buy a DD in the next few months as well and those are on the list. Not sure how well I'll fit in one yet though since I'm 6'3". Have to go drive one.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    Nice- will be looking to buy a DD in the next few months as well and those are on the list. Not sure how well I'll fit in one yet though since I'm 6'3". Have to go drive one.
    I've heard the ST1 and ST2s are a little tight for taller people since the seats aren't fully adjustable. In the ST3 the driver seat is pretty easy to find a good position. (and they're heated lol.)

I definitely want the loaded one with the Recaros. So I'm guessing you were able to buy that in the $17K range? Pretty low miles. Seems like ones with 60~80K miles are listed for $15K to $16K and you can always get it for less than the listed price.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

17.5k with a $1500 extended warranty so 18. 5k total.

If you get the 16+ years along with a redesigned front you also get a cooler steering wheel that's heated.

2015 is when they made the steering wheel and front end change.

I like mine a lot. Think you are hard pressed to find a better beater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Tjs-1hT9U

Oh, and please get rid of the gay mud flaps......
    Last edited by Ackbar00; 01-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    "The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ackbar00 View Post
    2015 is when they made the steering wheel and front end change.

I like mine a lot. Think you are hard pressed to find a better beater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Tjs-1hT9U

Oh, and please get rid of the gay mud flaps......
    Oh ok. Was their something special with the 16s then?

And yeah, they're going away very soon lol

Those are some real fun cars. Very nice!

Not a fan of the mud flaps either, but its not my car.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Those are some real fun cars. Very nice!

Not a fan of the mud flaps either, but its not my car.
    They look even worse from the rear.lol
    I probably wouldn't hate them so much lf they weren't red and stuck out so far on the sides.

^^^ BREAKER BREAKER GOOD BUDDY ARE THOSE 18 wheeler Mudflaps on that 4 wheeler?

Car looks great but I have to agree with you and Brian. Ace those flaps, or at least find some smaller black ones. Those things stick out further than my big floppy old ears ! LOL!

Looks like a couple snow plows on the back!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    ^^^ BREAKER BREAKER GOOD BUDDY ARE THOSE 18 wheeler Mudflaps on that 4 wheeler?

Car looks great but I have to agree with you and Brian. Ace those flaps, or at least find some smaller black ones. Those things stick out further than my big floppy old ears ! LOL!
    Yeah I'm surprised they didn't have a chrome lady on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Looks like a couple snow plows on the back!
    Lol I wish they worked like snow plows. I wouldn't have gotten stuck backing into a parking spot

I think the 16's just got a few different color choices over the 15's. And the RS.

Guys on http://www.focusst.org LOVE them damn things. Is a good place to get some info on it though.

I've been thinking about getting one. Very nice

So I've been out looking at cars this weekend- Jake Sweeney had a blue 2015 ST with the ST3 package. The car had 31000 miles on it. They let me take it out for a test drive by myself, so I got to really test it out without a salesman freaking out. I took it over surface roads and on and off the highway a few times.

Things I noticed I didn't like:
    The tires seemed really loud at about 50+ MPH. Seemed like mostly from the rear. I assume the were still OEM but maybe not at that mileage.
    The car seemed to have a lot of "ticks" and "clicks" as I call em- just little pop/tick/creak noises from the interior pieces and sunroof area that would drive me crazy over time and I'd have to track down and eliminate.
    The seat was loose laterally. If you took a hard corner, it would shift about 1/16". Then shift the other way when you went around a corner the other direction.
    I wasn't as fast as I thought it might be, and the turbo lag was worse than I thought it would be.
    Plenty of torque steer at WOT.
    One of the wheels was already corroding just outside of where the centercap is. Not from prying of any sort- it just looked like it corroded under the clear coat.

Things I really liked:
    The brakes are awesome, although this car had some minor roughness/noise when you hit them hard at highway speeds.
    The steering was fantastic. Light, quick, responsive. By far the best FWD car I've ever driven.
    The ST3 Recaros are super nice. Not too tight, just right. I'm 6'3, 200 lbs.
    I could easily get a comfortable driving position between the tilt/telescopic wheel and the power seat.
    Nice side view mirrors, each with a blindspot mirror.

Kinda meh on:
    The gauges, although I didn't see it at night.
    Sight lines weren't great, but weren't terrible either.

They are asking $19,500 online for it, the saleslady said they wanted $25,500 (!!!) before we left, not knowing I'd seen it online already. Too much for me, but I at least got to try one out to see how they drive. I liked it, I could DD one. The premium fuel requirement really sucks though. I'm looking for a car that doesn't eat gas, and having to run premium eats into that savings when it's 2.25 for reg and 2.85 for premium. I know you can run 87 and let it yank timing, but I also know I wouldn't do that.

Despite all the negaitves, I'd still give it an A. Looks nice, goes good, stops and steers really good. All the important shit is there.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    So I've been out looking at cars this weekend- Jake Sweeney had a blue 2015 ST with the ST3 package. The car had 31000 miles on it. They let me take it out for a test drive by myself, so I got to really test it out without a salesman freaking out. I took it over surface roads and on and off the highway a few times.

Things I noticed I didn't like:
    The tires seemed really loud at about 50+ MPH. Seemed like mostly from the rear. I assume the were still OEM but maybe not at that mileage.
    The car seemed to have a lot of "ticks" and "clicks" as I call em- just little pop/tick/creak noises from the interior pieces and sunroof area that would drive me crazy over time and I'd have to track down and eliminate.
    The seat was loose laterally. If you took a hard corner, it would shift about 1/16". Then shift the other way when you went around a corner the other direction.
    I wasn't as fast as I thought it might be, and the turbo lag was worse than I thought it would be.
    Plenty of torque steer at WOT.
    One of the wheels was already corroding just outside of where the centercap is. Not from prying of any sort- it just looked like it corroded under the clear coat.

Things I really liked:
    The brakes are awesome, although this car had some minor roughness/noise when you hit them hard at highway speeds.
    The steering was fantastic. Light, quick, responsive. By far the best FWD car I've ever driven.
    The ST3 Recaros are super nice. Not too tight, just right. I'm 6'3, 200 lbs.
    I could easily get a comfortable driving position between the tilt/telescopic wheel and the power seat.
    Nice side view mirrors, each with a blindspot mirror.

Kinda meh on:
    The gauges, although I didn't see it at night.
    Sight lines weren't great, but weren't terrible either.

They are asking $19,500 online for it, the saleslady said they wanted $25,500 (!!!) before we left, not knowing I'd seen it online already. Too much for me, but I at least got to try one out to see how they drive. I liked it, I could DD one. The premium fuel requirement really sucks though. I'm looking for a car that doesn't eat gas, and having to run premium eats into that savings when it's 2.25 for reg and 2.85 for premium. I know you can run 87 and let it yank timing, but I also know I wouldn't do that.

Despite all the negaitves, I'd still give it an A. Looks nice, goes good, stops and steers really good. All the important shit is there.
    Even 19k is high for that with 30k. 25 is a joke. Although being a face-lift car might affect that or if it was a CPO.

The best deal I found was at Interstate Ford which was a 16 with 15k miles for 20k but it sold within 5 hours of them calling me when it was through inspection to the time I got off work and able to get over there

I haven't noticed any issues with the seat in mine. Could just be that one. That's a little worrisome though.

Mine does have some creaks and rattles. It's still a focus after all, just an expensive one.

If it had the stock F1s I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Fair warning, even with new tires they're not super quiet. I think most of that is due to the suspension.

Best fuel economy I can get is 32 mpg but that's being SUPER easy on it, shifting at 2k and only going 45-55. Realistically I get 25-27 on the highway going 70-80 mph. 19-23 in the city. (I'm still not used to hearing the "whoosh" of the turbo lol)

The guage are pretty basic, nothing to write home about even at night.

The blinds spots are my biggest issue with this car. I really wish mine had a backup camera just because those c-pillars are massive. But then again I was used to driving the Hyundai which is a fishbowl.

I had to drive a few to find one I liked that had a decent service history and was well taken care of. The first one I drove was a hunk of crap because it was beat on. Others were too expensive/high miles.

Last edited by 4n_eatr; 01-28-2018 at 11:24 PM.

I average around 25, which was the biggest reason I got it.

A tune cleans up a lot of them lag issues. Really wakes it up.

The Focus st is very nice, I prefer the Fiesta st. It’s more nimble and better handler. Cabin is tighter obviously. I would have no problem owning either.
    2006 Mustang GT "Shirley" sold 11.37
    2011 Mustang GT "Ashley" Bone stock?

Quote Originally Posted by firestang70 View Post
    The Focus st is very nice, I prefer the Fiesta st. It’s more nimble and better handler. Cabin is tighter obviously. I would have no problem owning either.
    I thought REAL hard about the Fiesta. There was one right next to mine that was the color I wanted (blue) , better MPG and cheaper, but just a bit too small, slow and not as well equipped. I've heard they're an absolute blast around corners but most of my driving is highway so it wouldn't have done me any good lol.

Thread Information