Thread: Vortech Gear Unit Leaking

Vortech Gear Unit Leaking

I apologize in advance if I post this in the wrong section, but I have a weird issue and really need some help. Installed an intercooler, and decided to convert from draw through MAF to blow through. Tuner (remote tune) recommended PMAS HPX MAF and Siemen Deka 60lb fuel injectors, installed these and relocated the BOV, see pictures (this was after power washing, so sorry about the water).

The supercharger is now leaking oil between the pulley and gear unit. Its odd, you can stop the engine and hear a hissing noise (like a tire leaking air) and follow it to the area shown and watch as oil leaks out of the gear unit. Its as if the gear unit is now pressurized. It gets the oil from a tap at the oil sending unit, typical Vortech setup. I am guessing there is some pressure being introduced that works its way through to the gear unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

How old is the head unit?

I don't see how changing location of the meter would cause the issue.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thanks for responding, I bought it off ebay. The guy I bought it from said it had two years of use. He ran it with the stock pulley gears. You brought up a good point that changing MAF and the BOV around should not have caused the issue, that's why its odd. I may end up removing it, converting back to naturally aspirated and remove the gear unit from the head unit and pull the gears and replace the seals.

Yeah it sounds like the seals are just going south. May have just showed its ugly face at the right time.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Thanks for responding, I bought it off ebay. The guy I bought it from said it had two years of use. He ran it with the stock pulley gears. You brought up a good point that changing MAF and the BOV around should not have caused the issue, that's why its odd. I may end up removing it, converting back to naturally aspirated and remove the gear unit from the head unit and pull the gears and replace the seals.
    My brother had a similar issue show up on his used vortech he bought. It was pushing the boost into the gear case and the engine crankcase. Was generating 2-3 psi boost and a whole bunch of crankcase flow. Beefcake offers a rebuild service and we are going to take ours to him this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #2 - 2020 DD Challenge List

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage
    2000 Saleen S281SC - factory "stock"

Found the issue, it was the input shaft oil seal. The two holes are from sheet rock screws used to pull the seal. The rubber part of the seal was so hard it would break off if you just touched it.

Good to hear it will be a cheap and easy fix.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thread Information