Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: It's about time 03 Cobra VMP 2.3 Supercharger

New Heat Exchanger
    Joe

Yeah there is plenty to do to them. I offered mine up for sale to a guy. We'll see what happens there. Doubt he will buy it but you never know.

Id love to be back into a foxbody. They don't handle worth a crap, low on power when stock, brakes aren't much to talk about... But I miss having one. Love to find me a black LX hatch. ..
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I never understood why Ford put drum brakes on those Fox bodies minus the 93 Cobra. It will be sad to see you get rid of it. I’ve considered selling my 03 before but never pursued it.
    Joe

Any chance you could stack those units and run them in series behind the bumper or does that new exchanger take up all the room? Just thinking. Read a thread on another forum where a guy had used two smaller intercoolers on his S197 setup somehow and made some really low temps even in Texas summer time.

I think you could get the two heat exchangers behind the bumper. Just need to bracket it up. Ill check it out tomorrow. The outlet and inlets would probably be in the way if anything.
    Joe

The new one will keep it plenty cool enough though. Usually mine runs ambient driving down the road. Stop and go traffic it will warm up quicker but still wont be too bad. On a hot day mine never goes over 105 or so.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I got some fittings From Home Depot Performance. I decided just to run new 3/8, 9/32 and 7/32 hose. I couldn’t get myself to pull apart the stock vac hoses to make it work.

The Car is now all together with Pump wire upgrade, blower, Jlt Big Air and Larger Heat Exchanger. Need to schedule for a tune now!
    https://youtu.be/XqhTozmDap0
    Joe

I bet your anxious! Who you going to have tune it?
    1992 Gould GT project...

Brandon Aslept, he’s tune the car a couple times before.
    Joe

Sounds good Joe. I bet I know who 's going to tune it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    Brandon Aslept, he’s tune the car a couple times before.
    You beat me to it.

You got it Chad! I looked under the Cobra and you would either move the oil cooler or cut the inside of the bumper to make another heat exchanger fit. Unless you could find one that’s not as wide to put in front of the current one.

Joe

^^^ Just spoke to a couple of guys at work and gave them the scenario Joe, and while this may help, the better alternative would be to increase your flow with a bigger pump in the system over trying the two in series or parallel. I just remember the basics of a thread on another forum that went on forever about the person I referred to who hooked several HE's in series to obtain optimal heat removal for his car down in Texas.

The recirc pump on the 03/04 SVT is the same pump used on the 07-09 GT500 (maybe up to 12) and many aftermarket PD setups. It's a Bosch pump and reliable obviously. The 13/14 GT500 received a larger flow pump and this pump is a nice unit that will out flow the stock one you have. Since then Whipple has produced a pump that will out flow the GT500 pump and I believe it is even a little more cost effective. There are some other options out there that have even higher flow rates if you wish to make some custom mounting brackets and figure out your own plumbing solution.

I get these hair brained ideas from when I worked on CNC Lasers. They had HE's on them to pull heat out of the gas medium both on the return side and then again on the supply side to pull heat from the compression process of the turbo blower or roots blower (depending on which brand) to remove induced heat from that process that creates the air flow in the system. Plus after working in HVAC controls for a while and learning the very basics of heat removal (though I have forgotten much of it by now) heat removal is something that intrigues me.
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 11-19-2018 at 08:08 AM.

It’s a interesting subject that when I took Fluid Dynamics in School it made more sense. What would be interesting is to cool a separate tank with Thermoelectric cooler system and use that tank to cool the charge during a 1/4 mile pass with a valve. I don’t know the recovery time so you maybe just better utilizing another AC pump system to cool the liquid. I think I would hodge poge the Volvo with this but the Mustang I just want a basic clean look to the system. It’s just a quick weekend driver.
    Joe

Why not install diverter valves in the lines to and from heat exchanger. Run the heat exchanger on the street, then switch over to trunk mounted ice tank for track.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Why not install diverter valves in the lines to and from heat exchanger. Run the heat exchanger on the street, then switch over to trunk mounted ice tank for track.
    That would work perfect, Keeping the charge cool is what your trying to achieve. They also have the killer chiller which I believe Dodge used on the Demon and Ford used on the F150 Lightning concept back in 03. You could probably braze on cooling channels under lower intake to cool more surface area. Your not suppose to cool the supercharger casings since the rotors can expand when heating and the casing can shrink.
    Joe

Ice tank seems to be a simple and cost effective solution. I like simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Ice tank seems to be a simple and cost effective solution. I like simple!
    Simple works and can easily be fixed! I wonder if that’s why new gadget filled cars scare me.
    Joe

I sure like the line lock gadget Ford put on my 17. That's right....line lock. No aftermarket kit, no hacking holes or running wires.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    I sure like the line lock gadget Ford put on my 17. That's right....line lock. No aftermarket kit, no hacking holes or running wires.
    I think it a cool idea also, but I've only used mine once.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    That’s pretty fun sounding feature. Nice not to heat up the back brakes as you heat the tires off. Strength wise is the 10 Speed 10R80 as strong as the 6 speed autos in the 15-17 GT mustangs? I know people have had a lot of good luck with the 6 speed automatics with added power.
    Joe

Thread Information