Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Red Rocket!

Project Red Rocket!

Yes, the South Park reference is intended. lol. I've had this old coupe since 05, my wife(then girlfriend) and I drove over to Illinois and picked it up. It was our first trip together and it was very eventful to say the least. We got it home and I had every intention of putting a V8 in it and doing the swap. I had all the parts and was ready for it. But then I got to thinking about it, and thought that a turbo 4 cyl might be fun. I researched on the different mustang sites and on Stinger Performance site, and the more I read, the more I wanted to do it. I called the guy that owns Stinger and had a long conversation with him, and while we were talking I was searching the internet for the turbo he recommended. I found it on Ebay and it was 150 bucks. I bought it while we talked, and had every intention of buying the whole kit from him. Time progressed and the funds never came together all at once, so I kept putting it off.
    About a year ago, I decided to buy something for the build, and I found a kit on Ebay that came with blow off valve, waste gate and boost controller(which turned out to be junk, the boost controller that is) for 89 bucks. I got that in the mail and put it on my shelf with the turbo. In the fall of last year, I decided to buy Stinger's header and got on his website only to find that he had stopped making them. He said he was tired of competing with China and go buy one off Ebay, of all places. So I did. Got it in, and set it on the shelf with the other junk.

Here is a picture of the car still on the trailer after Donna and I got back, this was the next morning. It's not pretty but it was a great deal with all the stuff it came with.
    Last edited by NXcoupe; 06-16-2016 at 02:03 AM.

So now I needed the intercooler and piping and the downpipe and exhaust. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the Stinger intercooler kit, it was 500 bucks. I found one on Ebay for 179 that came with the sized intercooler I wanted and an assortment of 2.5" piping in it. Bends and straights, with elbows and straight couplers.

Last edited by NXcoupe; 06-16-2016 at 02:01 AM.

T͛h͛e͛ t͛u͛r͛b͛o͛ 4 h͛a͛l͛l͛s͛ a͛s͛s͛. T͛h͛a͛t͛'s͛ o͛n͛e͛ f͛u͛n͛ c͛a͛r͛.

What are you building? SVO 2.3 turbo motor?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow98Cobra View Post
    T͛h͛e͛ t͛u͛r͛b͛o͛ 4 h͛a͛l͛l͛s͛ a͛s͛s͛. T͛h͛a͛t͛'s͛ o͛n͛e͛ f͛u͛n͛ c͛a͛r͛.
    Did you ride in it? He took me for a ride and it blew my mind. Red rocket is right!
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

Sounds like a fun build. I always wanted to build a four cylinder sleeper. Can't wait to see it.

You could call it retro-boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick93coupe View Post
    Did you ride in it? He took me for a ride and it blew my mind. Red rocket is right!
    Yes sir, that thing rolls out. I was impressed.

Thanks guys. I need to get the pics up, hopefully tonight. I work diligently on everyone else's cars and just needed to do something for me to keep me sane. It is a little faster now. Now sure why, have to get it on the dyno and see what's up with it. It's breaking the tires loose in 2cd gear now, it blows them up in first as well. Lol. Boost comes on around 2k, and is all in by 2600 or so, pulls to 6k in an instant. Lot's more fun than I ever imagined. As I say, it makes 200 hp seem fast. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PKFIRE View Post
    What are you building? SVO 2.3 turbo motor?
    No, nothing that extravagant, it's a stock 93 2.3L engine with 130k and I bolted a do it yourself Ebay turbo set up on it. It's nothing real fancy but it is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants some cheap fun. Only thing is these 4cyl cars are getting very hard to find anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    You could call it retro-boost.
    Lol, yep!

Quote Originally Posted by cyah92 View Post
    Sounds like a fun build. I always wanted to build a four cylinder sleeper. Can't wait to see it.
    Need to come down that way and visit soon anyway. Keep telling your brother I'm gonna stop down and never get to.

He took me for a ride the other day, definately surprised me!

Glad you got it done Mike ...

BTW ...
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

Quote Originally Posted by chad393na View Post
    He took me for a ride the other day, definately surprised me!
    Too bad it was rainy out. It's def a surprise when you go wot with it. It's a lot of fun, I just drove it to Oreilly's customer appreciation day and beat the snot out of it on the way home. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by k062693w View Post
    Glad you got it done Mike ...

BTW ...
    Yep, pics on their way. Got to do it from home, shop internet sucks. Thanks Aaron.

Nice mike!
    2015 Gt

what you think gas millage would be. it would be a fun work car.

Nice Mike. Post pics. You really don't see a lot of 4cyl foxes around anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Cobra Sold

1992 Mustang GT 80k M.I. couple bolt on's.

Quote Originally Posted by cyah92 View Post
    what you think gas millage would be. it would be a fun work car.
    Can't really answer that yet, since all I do is beat it to death mileage on E85 is around 15 to 16 mpg. I'd like to go on a long drive, keep it at 70 or so and not get into boost a lot and see what it does.

You can always beat it down the track to see what it would run

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    Can't really answer that yet, since all I do is beat it to death mileage on E85 is around 15 to 16 mpg. I'd like to go on a long drive, keep it at 70 or so and not get into boost a lot and see what it does.
    mustangjon is hosting a cruise to Kentucky to tour Bourbon Distillery's on 6/25. There ya go.

It's a good looking car and sounds pretty good for a 4 banger!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thread Information