Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Doing it myself

Project: Doing it myself

Chevy warning!!!!!

Ive been wanting a Corvette for a long time. So giving the chance I jumped on it. I still have the Stangs so hopefully this isn't a issue amongst my fellow Stangbangerz. Over a year ago I came across this 2013 60th Anniversary Grand Sport. Its a fully loaded 4LT with removable roof, leather wrapped dash, center console and door panels. The car was already Supercharged with a Paxton Novi 1500 and full exhaust. My plans are to build it to over 1000RWHP and run mid 8's. The picture below is the day I brought her home.

Last edited by USMCPONY; 05-01-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Within a month my first purchase was some black wheels. I decided to go with the Corvette Cup wheels. Fronts are 19"x10" and rears are 20"x12". I also ordered Nitto Invos in 345's along with tire sensors and black Gorilla lug nuts.

Shortly after I bought the wheels and tires I took a day off and went to Edgewater. Unfortunatly I blew up the trans on one of my run. Me and my dad wanted to attempt to rebuild it ourselves and then have it inspected by a top transmission shop.

Ive bought a few Automatic fox bodies and converted them to a manual by putting in a Tremec Tko in all 3 of them. I even had to switch out the pedals, clutch quadrants and etc. I could of done all three of them by the time I got my Vette finished. It was a true pain in the ass. After ordering the new clutches we put them in.

After putting it back together knowing we couldn't upgrade the shaft, valve body and weld the trans pistons. We sent it to Century Performance Transmissions. There is only 3 well known places in the U.S. that will build a 6L80 trans and I felt theyre the best for the job. When all said and done it should hold 1200hp.
    Last edited by USMCPONY; 05-01-2015 at 05:21 AM.

While waiting for the trans to be built I decided to do something about the horrible brake dust these cars make. I ordered Hawk Ceramic pads and upgraded the rotors all the way around. Along with going with Stainless brake lines.

I also bought ZR1 extended carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter. The splitter was on 3 month back order so all I was able to install was the side skirts.

I also purchased 2012 Centennial edition emblems.

After about a week of nothing to do. The trans finally came in. These guys really did a great turn around on the trans. I couldn't be happier with them. I also decided to upgrade to a 3200 Yank Converter while everything is out.

Trans is bolted up

And the first drive with the new transmission. It worked flawlessly to my surprise. I figured we would of missed connecting a sensor or something but after double and triple checking everything. Everything worked perfectly. The trans even had a overheating issue and a shifting issue since the day I bought. All of that was fixed. I was very happy to finally be finished with it and move on to something else.

Finally home in my own Garage

Last edited by USMCPONY; 05-01-2015 at 05:44 AM.

After driving around a couple times with the new wheel setup. I knew I needed to upgrade to some stickier tires before I kill myself. The 345 Nittos aren't cutting it. Theyre completely dangerous in my opinion for any car that makes descent power. Only one problem. They only make 19" and 20" cup wheels for the Corvette. I needed at least a 18" drag radial but ever drag setup available is just plain ugly. I looked at weld, ccw and a few others. I didn't want to spend $5,000 on an entire setup of wheels and tires. I just wanted rear wheels with drag radial tires and everything available didn't match. So after searching and searching and searching. I found out they make these wheel in a replica version for 1994-2002 Trans Ams and Camaros. I checked the offset on them and found the front wheels have the offset I need. Only problem is they only 18"x8" wide. I purchased them and sent them to weld craft to have them widened 4". Now I have nearly a matching drag set up.

Just after getting the wheels and tires. I received my front splitter, spacers and extended forged studs. I wanted to install the spacer and studs before installing the wheels and tires.

They turned out better than I thought they would. Even my two week old son wanted a ride lol.

Running 8's with car seat in it haha..great looking car very sharp!
    2015 Gt

That car is bad ass!!! Almost makes me want one!

Nice project though. Hopefully I can check it out sometime, probably get to see the tail lights but it will be worth it!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    That car is bad ass!!! Almost makes me want one!

Nice project though. Hopefully I can check it out sometime, probably get to see the tail lights but it will be worth it!
    Yeah maybe if I stage first you'll get to see them lol. Your car is no slouch.
    Last edited by USMCPONY; 05-01-2015 at 03:18 PM.

If I want over 1000rwhp im going to have to upgrade the supercharger. This little guy will only do a measly 875rwhp. I posted it on the Internet and within 20 minutes I had it sold. The guy happened to be at his bank and wired me the money. So off came the supercharger and on its way to its new owner.

Last edited by USMCPONY; 05-01-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Ok I must ask. What is the deal with the punisher sticker on the rear? There is a god awful looking Yellow vette with neon green stripes running around here in Anderson with the same sticker on his. He had a c5 before this one in the same color scheme and it was riced out with everything an aspiring ricer could want from Vatozone plastered all over it.

BTW, badass ride!
    2011 Black on Black GT

I ended up going with a Paxton Novi 2200R. It's basically a fully billet case and billet wheel YSI. So slightly better than a Vortech YSI. I also ordered the 10 rib cog drive.

Quote Originally Posted by chris91 View Post
    Ok I must ask. What is the deal with the punisher sticker on the rear? There is a god awful looking Yellow vette with neon green stripes running around here in Anderson with the same sticker on his. He had a c5 before this one in the same color scheme and it was riced out with everything an aspiring ricer could want from Vatozone plastered all over it.

BTW, badass ride!
    I know the one you're talking about. He had a yellow and green C6 and now he has a yellow and green C7 stingray. Looks like dog shit. The punisher sticker is from Lemans. Corvette dominated Aston Martin, Ferrari, BMW and Porsche for many years. Giving them the nickname Punisher.

C5, C6, C7, I cant keep up with em anymore.LoL But yeah looks like SHIT.
    2011 Black on Black GT

For some reason I couldn't get these pictures to post last night but here is a break down from taking out and reinstalling the trans.

Carbon fiber extended side skirt and mud flaps install

What blower you going with now?
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Paxton Novi 2200r with 10 rib cog drive

Love the title. Something to be said for the one who builds his own. Just my opinion. Love it.
    Love the pic of the little guy in the seat
    And of course love the dog !
    Nice looking ride !
    86. Gt. 4 eyes baby!
    92 lx convertible
    96 Chevy cavalier (rip)
    99 Eddie bauer expedition. Alive again !!
    08 gmc Yukon Denali xl.
    98 Buick park ave. (61k miles)
    93 notch.

Thread Information