Thread: The future Theater/Media Room...

Threaded View

The future Theater/Media Room...

Thought I would share the progress of my future media room along with some basement repair work.

My wife has been after me for years to put an additional room in the basement. However I have put it off over the years for several reasons one of which being that my money was going into car parts...that she often never knew about. Recently she started giving me grief about the number of speakers in the living room after telling her I was going to upgrade to ATMOS Dolby which adds two more speakers to the existing 5 + subwoofer unit. So I decided to start focusing on a media room in the basement. After all I can enjoy it regardless of the weather conditions.

I've been working on the basement for about 5 weeks now. I had to first tear out 16 feet of make shift shelving, and then purchase some commercial HD shelving to relocate everything on to make room for the addition. Next came the hard work that has been a major PITA! Getting the loose old paint/sealant off the walls, repairing loose mortar joints with hydraulic cement, prepping the walls for sealing and then applying a primer coat that is mildew/mold resistant.

The corner where the addition is going looked originally like this.

Hand scraped the corner back 4 feet on each side and knocked the loose paint off on the remaining 25 feet. After scrubbing the walls free of efflorescense with TSP and wiring brushing all the loose debris and mortar joints I got the area to this point.

Several spots needed the loose mortar knocked out and reworked as well. Filling with Hydraulic cement after knocking out the loose spots and enlarging.

The completed exterior walls (and they no longer seep or leak when it rains). Almost hate to cover them. They have 2 coats of Drylok Extreme sealant and a coat of mildew/mold resistant primer on them.

The two completed walls that will have Owens Corning R10 Foamular 250 put on them. Steel 2x4 structure will be placed up against that and then covered in green drywall. A 'Dricore' brand Subfloor will then go down which has a vapor barrier and rubber underside to minimize mildew or mold growth. All of this is on hold currently due to the stupid COVID BS.

Lighting and ceiling layout is still undecided.

AV equipment will include a Sony 950 series 75" 4K TV, Monitor audio or Paradigm speakers throughout, my current Yamaha RX-A1070 Home theater receiver and Sony 4K Blueray Player.

I am currently cleaning up and repairing other walls in the basement since this frickin COVID virus overreach has placed a potential recession on the economy. So the laundry area is currently under way to being repaired and sealed as well. The floor in that area will have an epoxy placed over it like used on garage floors. These are things that needed to be done even if the economy goes completely south and the project gets put ion hold for an undefined period of time. Lets just hope its not as long as I suspect its going to be.
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 04-18-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Thread Information