Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The future Theater/Media Room...

That's a nice saw!

I just bought a Hitachi a while back. Havent even used it yet.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

^^ DUDE! That's like buying a buying a GT500 and trailering it home and only going into the garage to look at it. You gotta at least make a crosscut on it! Hitachi's are nice. I looked at them (they are under a different name now). I like the way the bearign guides are on a 45 with each other. Provides better stability side to side. But the DeWalt was too good a deal to pass up.

Metabo bought them out.

Its a nice saw. I will be putting it to use here soon.
    1992 Gould GT project...

The big hold up has been getting the old frig and freezer out from behind the staircase.

It happened today. We took them apart and had to cut up the freezer to make it fit through the doorway at the top of the stairs.

Now its on to framing and insulating. The area behind the stairs will be a maintenance area and more storage.

Makes you wonder how they got it down there!
    1992 Gould GT project...

We looked closer at the frame work after getting it out. Apparently the house was built with no doorway to the basement in 1940. Based on the age of the freezer the doorway must have been framed in sometime after 1975 so the freezer has been down there since then. Mom who does interior decorating also stated that the trim work on the door frame was too new to have been original. In spite of this getting that unit into the basement even with the wider doorway back then was a feat. It would have had to come in the back door on end, then turned 90 degrees on the very small entry way landing and then taken down the stairway to the basement. I'd like to meet the guys who did it. They would be 'moving marvels'.

What are you planning on for a screen? I've thought about building something like this in my house, but it seems like people always run projectors to get the big screen, and I don't think it's worth putting all that money and effort into it to watch a projected image.

Now that a 77" OLED is under priced $5K though, a quality display in a huge format is becoming a reasonable option. Samsung has some 82" QLEDs out for around $2500. You can pick up a 2019 model of that 82" QLED for under $2k. They have 98" models now too, but those are $60,000 still. LOL.
    Last edited by IWRBB; 07-10-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    2003 SVT Mustang Cobra
    11.40@124
    Pics, mods, track videos, other stuff..

The rest of the fleet:
    2019 Edge ST
    2015 Taurus SHO
    2013 SVT F150 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post
    What are you planning on for a screen? I've thought about building something like this in my house, but it seems like people always run projectors to get the big screen, and I don't think it's worth putting all that money and effort into it to watch a projected image.

Now that a 77" OLED is under priced $5K though, a quality display in a huge format is becoming a reasonable option. Samsung has some 82" QLEDs out for around $2500. You can pick up a 2019 model of that 82" QLED for under $2k. They have 98" models now too, but those are $60,000 still. LOL.
    Damn... I still have my console TV. Maybe I need to upgrade!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by IWRBB View Post

75" LED Sony 950 series. Was looking into projection setups but there are two reasons I won't go that route. 1.) The room is 14x17 roughly so I am pushing it by going 75" (at 108" viewing distance) as being too big. 2.) Projection screen setups don't function well in normal light. So if you want to have the guys over to watch NCAA BB at tournament time the lower light can be undesirable if you are serving food.

4K video wise suits me more than well. I only buy 4K if the audio is a higher quality than on Blue Ray since the current DVD player I have converts 1080i to 4K very nicely.

The primary focus is audio. I am doing Atmos as well as rear speakers so atmos and 7.1 can run as needed. The Yamaha RX-A1070 receiver I am currently running will finally be able to flex its full capability. Monitor Audio and Paradigm will make up the speaker setup initially. The two are very complimentary with each other so as deals come available I will slowly convert existing paradigms to Monitor audio.

I have to empty the bed in the truck of some shrubbery I pulled out of the front yard flower bed for the mrs., and then I can go start picking up the foamcore insulation. After that its frame work. Slow but surely. Hope to have it functioning by October.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Damn... I still have my console TV. Maybe I need to upgrade!
    You need to do a Coyote swap first. LOL!
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 07-11-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Framing has begun. Started framing what I thought would take the longest first. Working around ductwork. Hope its parallel with the starcase. It hold 1/8 inch along the length to the basement wall.

Lookin good! You going to do some storage space under the stairs?
    1992 Gould GT project...

Yip. The area back there will have a work bench and some shelving. Combo maintenance utility area. Stair will be closed in using 1/4 or 3/8" backing of some type. Just going to run it the length of the steps on the back side.

Another 16 ft of wall is framed up. Put 1/4" R1.5 Fomular series150 Corning on the wall before starting. Will be putting 2" R10 of the same between the studs before the green drywall goes up. But that's step 95 and I'm on step 14. Nice to be making some progress on this. It's been in pipe dream form for almost a year and been a fantasy thought for decades.

HINT - The Foam insulation is moisture resistant and mold resistant. When putting it up with an adhesive you must use Loctite P300 FOAM adhesive (or an equivalent) or the adhesive will melt the foam insulation. Foam board is NOT foam core insulation. Any multipurpose adhesive claiming it can be used for Foam board or similar is not able to be used with this stuff.

About 80% done on framing now. Ran out of 2x4.

Next will be electrical AC and low voltage and insulation. Unfortunately it sounds like the old truck has a collapsed lifter in CYL 3 so will be without a way to pick up more lumber until its fixed.

Looking good! Sucks about the truck...

Thanks. Learning a lot.

Yip. But it is 21 years old. Its may be my fault partly as I should have been changing the oil every 3K rather than 5K since I was driving such a short distance to and from work each day and that is all it would mostly be used for. I've taken it for granted over the years (had it for 8 years) and should have given it more TLC. Its paying me back now.

I can start doing some electrical prep work and soforth while waiting on the truck.

Got the truck back and back at it. Three walls have R11 added between studs, some outlet electrical pulled, and the short fourth wall studded up. Outside walls have R13 total on them with the R1.5 backing I put up before starting the walls. Everything in contact with the concrete direct is either pressure treated lumber or foam insulation that is moisture resistant, and mold resistant. That is all over top of Dry-LoK extreme (2 coats) and also Special mold/mildew resistant primer (two coats). All cracks and loose mortar joints repaired as well. Final main room dimensions will be 150"x180"

Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 09-15-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Finally found something that does not require sanding and creates tons of dust (DRYWALL....YUK!) to cover the walls in. Its a gray weather beaten ship lap panel. The vertical trim pieces as well as the base boards will be stained in a gray weathered look as well. Just a mock up on the first wall that is finished. Finally looking like something more than a skeleton of a dream.

That Looks Great Chad !!!
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

Wow! I like! So what's the first film that will be debuted in this media soiree?

Thread Information