Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The future Theater/Media Room...

Full day today.

Got the ceiling roughed in on the stairwell side and started trim. Need some flat trim strips for the joints and some additional 1/4 round and then its paint time.

The stairwell issue where the bead board and new wall meets the existing house wall as well as the other side and face all needed to be trimmed in so that at least it looked finished and not half done. My coping skills suck on the back end at the top of the stairs but will hopefully find some way to make that look less like a hack job down the road. Ran out of trim but at least I got all the baseboard up, level, and the corners mitered which required compound miters due to the face wall in the stairwell having a 4 degree kick out near the bottom where the base board attached. Never more relieved for this to be done so I can no longer have to look at broken off drywall jutting out form under 1x4 someone previously put up to make it look more appealing.

Face of stairwell

Need to do some Silicone calking in some areas where there are gaps due to the sway in the plaster wall on the right side (not pictured) and then some putty work on nail holes and its then on to full on painting. Almost ready to bring in the TV.

The ceiling is complete and painted in the common area at the bottom of the stairs.

I added a stair skirt and rebuilt the stairs today as well with finished stair treads.

The trim in the stairwell as well as the stairwell has been painted as well.

STill need to put in the riser and then determine if I should paint the wood or do some form of tongue oil or poly may finish of some type. The stairs will have carpet matching runners on each tread. Thought about painting the treads a gray that would match the room and the risers (when I get them installed) white as well as white on the partial wall and stair skirt.

The TV came in and its waiting to be unpackaged and mounted up. So who knows. It may be ready by mid January....can't forget the sump pump system either. Also need to do soome updating on the washer and deep sink plumbing as well.

Still not sure if I will paint the duct or simply leave it as is. I still need to complete the door to the laundry room and have learned a way to properly cut the door down to the size I need which is 73" in height. Also still waiting on carpet.

Man, that turned out real good. You end up going with a pine for the treads?
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Man, that turned out real good. You end up going with a pine for the treads?
    yeah. I spoke with a guy who has done stairs and he said that the pine tread is good without a center support up to 35 inches. AT 36 inches or wider a center stringer is needed. There will also be riser back made from 1x10 that will fill in the backs and also add some support as well. The stair tread jig was a godsend. I went the extra mile and notched out the treads (left them a full 11.5") so they would extend into the stringer beyond the riser.With a 1.25 front edge (max by code) the treads extend into the stringer by about 2.5 inches. Nailing the rider to this adds for foot room that the stairs are lacking due to the non conformance of the house when it was built. I am trying to maintain code where it will allow as I understand what I have learned about stair code though it would not apply to this home since it was built in 1940.

They aren't perfect but all in all I am pretty happy with the result. Still some caulking to do on trim to hide oopsies and gaps that cannot be otherwise hidden, but its finally winding down. I like to killed my wife getting the 75" into the basement. TOok all we had to get it in the back door make the turn and get it down the stairs. And to think I was thinking about upgrading to the 85. It would have only gone in unboxed.

Try this photo again. IT did not post correctly. I really hate using smart phones for photos. They suck.

That’s coming along nicely!
    Joe

Nice!

thanks guys. had to take 2 aleve last night so I could sleep. The three seat piece arrive this week.Still waiting on carpet to come in also.

Was going to install a Wayne sump pump system (both pumps cast iron and stellar reviews) which is actually made in Harrison, Ohio but the system specs indicate it needs a 16" sump basin and mine is only 15". So I am looking into other avenues. Found a place called sumppumpsdirect.com that has all kinds of brands with tons of options.

Finished the steps completely (less a little touch up and installing the carpet tread on the steps when they are completed) early this morning about 2:00am.

The carpeting guys arrived (GREAT JOB BUSH FLOORING) to install the carpet and completed it at 2pm.

Got the 75" mounted moved the theater seating back in placed the audio stand and finally got to unpack the new Monitor Bronze 6 series front speakers that have been sitting in boxes in the back of the basement for 3 months.

Next step is to get the audio components moved downstairs, hooked up, and then complete the ethernet connections (screw wireless) and begin doing the room setup and calibration. Just a door left after that.

Wow! I can't wait! I have bullett on dvd if interested.

Hmmm...blueray? May have to have ya down. Gotta still pick up a pair of recliners for the side that can be pulled over along side the three piece to seat 5. Letting the CC cool off for a few before I jump on that.

That's a huge difference from where you started! Very nice set up!

Almost to nice to come up out of the basement!
    1992 Gould GT project...

thanks man. I think I have vacuumed the room 10 times and dusted twice since they left already. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    thanks man. I think I have vacuumed the room 10 times and dusted twice since they left already. LOL!
    Well you sure knocked it out. That's for sure!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Only took me twice the time I thought it would. Still have to move the receiver, dvd player, and other speakers to the basement, and then pick up a second cable box from Rectum...I mean Spectrum. I am going to eventually pick up a ROKU box and stream down there but it seems they are struggling with their 4K HD Dolby box a bit. Plan on tying in the ethernet cable and switch so I can get the TV configured and updated tomorrow morning.

Still have the final touches on the stair rail as well. Just as important as a roll cage in 9 second or faster cars.

That turned out awesome Chad, it's going to be a cool place to watch movies! Ford vs Ferrari would be a good one.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

Got the ethernet and hub hooked up this afternoon. Fired up the 75" and got connectivity working and the firmware updated just before mom and dad arrived. They got to see the picture quality through a 4K Youtube of saltwater aquarium. IT WAS AWESOME!

Thanks Rick. Yes, F v F is the first official movie. My oldest buddy from first grade (we met chasing the same girl on the playground LOL!) has been holding off seeing it so he can come watch it with me when I get this done.........that was suppose to have been last summer. LOL! But final touches are winding down and everything less the sump pump b/u system (getting that next week) will be complete.

The whole drive to do this came from visiting Eric (forget his site name big tall younger guy) who had the cool Yellow 98 Cobra. He did one a few years back and wanted me to see it. So I drove up and man was it a motivator.

Its officially a movie room. Everything is in place, hooked up, and the sound calibration has been performed. Need to cut in a heater vent and install the stair railing and pick up a Spectrum cable box, but its ready for movies. Ran into a glitch with the Sanos Speaker stands I bought that were suppose to hold up to 35lb speakers. Weld broke on the base that supports the speaker on one. So I wall mounted the surround speakers.

The future holds adding two more speakers (surround rears) and possibly updating the receiver from 7.2 to a 9.2 unit, upgrading the center channel to match the new mains and freshen up the sub that is now almost 20 years old. Just hate to replace that Velodyne unit but its served its purpose over the years.

Thanks for the support and encouragement through the process. If I only had a garage and a bunch of tools I could build an engine and put it in a roller.

Final pics of the system in place. Won't bore anyone any longer. Thanks for the input over the past 8 + months.

Thread Information