Thread: O2 sensor and camshaft actuator codes

O2 sensor and camshaft actuator codes

Seeing if anyone has had a similar issue or If you can shed some light on this for me. I have a 2014 mustang GT. I drove it to my shop and installed my hellion single turbo kit. I had to extended my O2 sensors to go from about where ABS module is to top of trans where the plugs for them are. Car is not tuned yet but don’t think that would code my issue. I’m getting no reading for the O2s and also getting codes for both O2s bank 1-2 sensor 1 and then 3 codes for camshaft actuators. Is there a fuse that controls power for both of these? And before someone ask I triple checked to make sure O2 sensors were wired properly during extending them. Any insight would be great. It’s a 2014 GT, literally all I did was install scavenger pump and installed turbo kit then extended the O2 sensors.
    2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) Mods: Boss 302 Intake, Air Raid CAI, Stainless works long tube headers & off road x-pipe, Flowmaster outlaws cat back. Stock 3.73 gears Tuned by Mike @ Dayton Performance

F49 is the 15A fuse that feeds both VCT and O2 #1 bank 1 and O2 #1 bank 2. Bank 1 in passenger side and bank 2 is drivers side. Additionally The wiring harness connector number for bank 1 is C1571 and bank 2 is C1572. If these are reversed (commonly happens during turbo and LT installs) you will have extreme lean in one bank and extreme rich on the other bank. Additionally O2 #2 bank one and bank two are C141 and C142 respectively.

Not knowing the Hellion kit but assuming it is like most Supercharger kits the package comes with a larger MAF tube. So you are swapping the existing MAF sensor into a larger tube that is calibrated to meter air in a smaller tube therefore more air will reach the cylinder than the MAF is seeing and create a natural lean condition. STFT's and LTFT's will attempt to correct for this. The larger fuel injectors as well that came with the kit will also not be working on the correct data as again the car has not been tuned. 2005+ cars are not like the 2V 4.6 and below. On a 2002 you could swap out the factory air box for a "CAI" kit. THe MAF sensor in older models was mounted in a tube that transferred to the new CAI so recalibration was not essential. In 2005 this all changed. Also remember that in 2011 all front O2 sensors installed are now wide band sensors. They aren't the whimpy standard O2 sensors used prior to the Coyote so you have real data feedback from them.

Some guys have resorted to installing the O2 sensors from the F150 Coyote pickups...they have a much longer cable end on them and they do not require the extenders which have been known to cause O2 issues in LT applications from time to time. Sorry I do not have a part number but Mike Bell may happen to know that part number if you contact him.

Below is a link to a generic 2011 set of prints I used when I had my 13 and 14GT's. They give general oversight but remember that there were some changes in 13/14 that will not be the same on this set of wiring prints. However the concepts on this topic should not have changed.

BTW - If the fuse is blown you may wish to check that the extenders are not defective. A short to ground in one of them would pop that fuse as quickly as the 12 vdc feedbus common to both the sensors and VCT would if it were pinched to chassis ground anywhere.

To verify the +12vdc voltage bus for that circuit if the fuse is blown, remove F49. Use a test light to find which side of the fuse is the 12vdc supply. The other blade slot will be the feed bus to the devices in question. Use a multimeter and check the resistance on that blade slot to chassis ground. If you get a low resistance of 2.0 ohms or less you have a pinched wire or some form of direct connection to ground. You should read some resistance as you are reading across VCT solenoids and the Or sensors. But it will not be 2.0 ohms or less. It will be quite a bit higher. I would expect 120 ohms at minimum up to several kohms.

https://iihs.net/fsm/
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 10-01-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Great answer!

THANKS. Always looking for correction when I go out on a limb with my theory. Its how I learn. Been shown I was wrong in other areas of this electronic controlled new world automotive industry and had to pull my horns in and regroup on other sites, but I learn that way. Love the theory behind it all. It coincides with the type of work I do to some degree.

As far as which o2 sensor I plug into, Mike Bell will actually be tuning them car and he had me put both of my o2 sensors in the down pipe (hood dump now lol) so they are in the same pipe side by side so it shouldn’t matter which is plugged in to which correct? And he also gave me the part number for the longer o2s I got them. Just gotta try to open the harness and finangle the factory plugs up there so I don’t have to extend anything
    2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) Mods: Boss 302 Intake, Air Raid CAI, Stainless works long tube headers & off road x-pipe, Flowmaster outlaws cat back. Stock 3.73 gears Tuned by Mike @ Dayton Performance

Also my maf is relocated to the intercooler with this kit

The transfer function for the maf will need to be dialed in. I'll get it close for a starting point and we'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford1996 View Post
    As far as which o2 sensor I plug into, Mike Bell will actually be tuning them car and he had me put both of my o2 sensors in the down pipe (hood dump now lol) so they are in the same pipe side by side so it shouldn’t matter which is plugged in to which correct? And he also gave me the part number for the longer o2s I got them. Just gotta try to open the harness and finangle the factory plugs up there so I don’t have to extend anything
    Hmmmmmmm...don't know there bud. I've never seen a setup where the O2's were in a common plenum to both banks before. This is new to me. O2's are standardly mounted at the collector on LT's or before the cats at the collector of each factory exhaust manifold and do not share a common exhaust flow on all four of my FI setups running PD superchargers. It may be different on a turbo setup. Never ran a turbo. As long as wiring is good then you should be good to go. Mike is your tuner so do as he wishes. I already see he is sending you a base tune to get the car in on as well. SO you should be fine. Sounds like its all in the tuning and will be good after you are done. ENJOY!

The 13/14 is my favorite body style. I hope to sell my 17 GT and get back into a 14 GT premium or GT500 before next year.

Normally I turn off one O2 and set all the cylinders to the other one on a turbo car. We'll see how this goes and I'll share with you what I find.

Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with misfire detection when you do that? As I understand it, the PCM is able to monitor for misfires based on the standing wave movement of the exhaust gases as they pass the O2 sensor because the PCM not only knows the firing order but what cylinder is currently firing due to the crank trigger. It also knows the delay time taken for the gases to leave said cylinder and reach the O2 sensor to make a determination if the gases appear unburned which would actually have a high O2 level due to unburned mixture. This is all according to Greg banish in his book Advanced Tuning. I am assuming the Ford PCM works in this manner??? I know that 11+ Mustangs have specific misfire codes for all 8 cylinders as well as aa random misfire code as well. Just curious if this theory is correct in how it is used on the Ford PCM how you will overcome it? Can you restructure the firmware strategy so that one O2 sensor can monitor all 8 cylinders and still provide misfire information? Or does a case like this require you to disable specific misfiring and rely on the random misfire CEL if you run into issues? Just curious. Saw this as an opportunity to see if my theory I have been reading on is correct. I remember you have worked as a trainer in automotive (IIRC) and thought it would be an opportune moment to ask. Thanks for a reply and any redirection in my comprehension.

Good talking to you today Mike. Thanks for calling and getting my theory complete. I'm going to revisit Banish's book to see if there was just something I missed in the reading. Pretty cool how the deceleration caused by the misfiring cylinder is measured and seen via the crank trigger an wheel and is then back up verified by the O2 sensor to provide that CEL should it occur. Pretty cool as well how you can actually shut off the one O2 sensor and then set the other up to monitor 8 cylinders on the turbo setup above. I would have not thought the PCM (stock one anyway) would have been that versatile. I get into this kind of stuff. It's similar to what I deal with daily at work. For me to do what you do I have to upload the ladder logic from the PLC, make corrections of modifications to it and then download it via a laptop with the associated software. Thanks for taking the time to call and walk through it with me and get me straightened out.

No problem. Always good to talk to you.

Thread Information