Thread: Coyote Guru Needed

Coyote Guru Needed

I have a fully rebuilt gen 1 coyote in my fox. Everything was new upon assembly.

Once car was together I had it tuned, at that time we noticed bank two exhaust phaser wasn’t keeping up with the bank one exhaust phaser.

I took it home and replaced both phasers on bank two and all has been good. Last summer car ran perfect without any issues (from motor).

This year car has been doing great up until the weekend before last when it sounded like it was missing. I went through and found that bank two exhaust phaser is not following bank 1 again... I tried new solenoids but did not help.

Can someone shed some light onto why I’m going through bank two exhaust phasers so frequently? Shouldn’t they last more than 3k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few people here that could probably help you out. Im not one. Maybe Mike, Craig, Walter, or Terry. May want to post it in the Coyote Tech section.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I have No idea.
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Phaser issues can have many contributors such as oil type and oil filter, oil pump, VCT filter or lack thereof (tiny green filter in the end of each camshaft), cam sensor or wiring, VCT solenoid or wiring, ground issue etc. Tell us more about the engine. Rebuilt gen1? No mix match gen2 heads and gt350 oil pump or any weird shit?

Not a guru by any means fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Not a guru by any means fyi.
    Sounds like you have some good suggestions though! You guys have made them fly so you know a little!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Check the oil filter located in the camshaft oil passage that feeds the phaser? May have metal fines in it causing this problem. Also did you perform the TTY part of the installation after setting your initial torque on the bolts? Also those are a one time use bolt so hopefully you did not reuse them. Below is a link to the 2011 Coyote shop manual. I have it tabbed to the filter replacement page. THis will give you full access to the 2011 Coyote on online manual availabel on S197 forums website.

Make sure you are not running some crazy 20W50 or heavy straight weight oil. 5W## or 0W## oils are what these engines need .Thicker oils can play games on the VCT system.

Last in a worse case, tear them out and lock out the cams. The VCT is there for fuel economy and emissions primarily. People eliminate them so they only have to deal with timing.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=830&f=Cylinder%20Head.pdf&p=7

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I tore the motor down and got the new phaser installed last night. By the time it was installed and timing was double checked it was late so I called it a night.

After reading these responses today (thanks again for all the suggestions and assistance) I decided to go take another look. Until today I have not heard of a VCT filter... Upon removing one banks phasers I found that my motor is missing them...

Unfortunately for me, this isn’t the first item I have discovered that is “missing” from when my motor was built. I do believe the lack of filter could have certainly allowed dirt and junk into the phaser and could have caused my issues.

This is my first time messing with these motors so if the part isn’t there I don’t know it’s missing until I have an issue..

I am going to order some filters tonight and put it all back together once them come in

Also, motor is a gen one coyote. I got it out of Tennessee and was pulled due to “wrist pin noise.” Upon looking into it the motor it had number eight rod bearing spun, so I decided to have it all gone through and redone by a reputable shop in Cincinnati. Crank, rods, pistons, etc were all replaced using gen two parts. Heads and cams were all reused as didn’t show any damage. The oil pump, and all electronics were replaced with new oem parts (with the exception of the oil pump gear and crank sprocket which I upgraded). The motor only runs motorcraft oil and filter and is the oem spec weight.

Can't wait for an update and pics.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    Can't wait for an update and pics.
    Update, filters were ordered. Unfortunately they are on back order and maybe two weeks out... sucks it’s getting nice and my car is down... hopefully this is the last time.

Everything is on backorder right now. Probably backed up in the Suez Canal!

Hopefully that takes care of your issue.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Everything is on backorder right now. Probably backed up in the Suez Canal!

Hopefully that takes care of your issue.
    You are correct sir... still do not have a date in when these parts will be able to ship out...

Anyone have a spare set of filters? I assume these can be cleaned and re-used?

Thread Information