Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 98 Cobra Family Cruiser

Car looked real good going down the road the other day! Looked low and wide!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Car looked real good going down the road the other day! Looked low and wide!
    Thanks dawg. My car ain't real loud, but it's not super quiet either. Crazy how I can hear your car over mine even when you're behind me
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Got to spend a little time on this thing over the past weekend. It was mostly working on getting the garage work bench built and everything organized, but I'm happy to have that done so I can have some organization and know where all my tools are

I did end up getting some MM CC plates as I do plan on going with coilovers this winter. For now I'm going to run them with the Bilsteins and H&R Super Sport convertible specific springs I picked up a couple weeks back

Interesting to see how different the H&R Super Sports are from the Eibach Sportlines

I've also really been debating on whether or not to run the poly isolators that I got from MM. I didn't really notice any noises coming from the car for the few months I've owned it and when I went to pull the Eibachs off I noticed there were no isolators on the car except for the uppers on the front. These things are thick and are almost 3/4" tall which I think is going to be higher than I want the car to sit with the H&R's. Time will tell:
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I was a big fan of the UPS man last week. Really wasn't a big fan of running no isolators on the springs so found some Steeda weight jacker rear control arms to help bring the ride height down a bit. Steeda advertises a +/- 1" height adjustment with these so this should compensate for the isolators and a tad more. Also ordered up an AJE k member with their road race control arms:

Rear suspension all installed and torqued down. Just need to install the MM rear pinion snubber and adjust the rear ride height:
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I liked the Maximum Motorsports weight jacker control arms I had on the Cobra. Gave pretty good bit of adjustability on ride height.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Good looking car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    I liked the Maximum Motorsports weight jacker control arms I had on the Cobra. Gave pretty good bit of adjustability on ride height.
    Those are what I actually really wanted, but found these Steeda in like new condition for a lot less than new. Walter tried to talk me out of the aluminum arms, but I didn't listen and will probably regret this decision LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SnailPony View Post
    Good looking car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Appreciate it!
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Not sure how much difference there is between them. Im sure these will be just fine.

I liked the Maximum Motorsports but I tore the bushings out twice and had to order them directly from them. The price wasn't bad on the bushings but they sure break it off in you on the shipping. That there was enough to make me never want to buy anything from them ever again.
    1992 Gould GT project...

$39.97 for the bushings, $19 to ship. Crazy... Especially considering that they come in a 6x6 box that weighs about a pound.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Not sure how much difference there is between them. Im sure these will be just fine.

I liked the Maximum Motorsports but I tore the bushings out twice and had to order them directly from them. The price wasn't bad on the bushings but they sure break it off in you on the shipping. That there was enough to make me never want to buy anything from them ever again.
    Which car were these on? Sounded like you needed the solid bushings lol. They're in San Luis Obispo, Cali so shipping is a little pricey from where they're at.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx View Post
    Which car were these on? Sounded like you needed the solid bushings lol. They're in San Luis Obispo, Cali so shipping is a little pricey from where they're at.
    They was on the Comp Orange Cobra. It would've been better suited with solid bushings but they was on it when I bought it.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Got the springs installed up front with the Bilsteins. Used some 11/16" (I think) heater hose from O'Reilly around the springs to try and keep them quiet without gaining too much in ride height. With these H&R springs directly next to the Eibach springs the resting heights were nearly identical. I'll be curious to see what the ride height ends up looking like:

Got the MM CC Plates mostly installed. Awaiting a couple washers and spacers from MM to complete the install. Tried to find them locally, but they're very oddball sizes which I couldn't find anywhere in stock.

Hope to have the car to the alignment shop by end of week this week. I'm also going to give MM a call today and ask about their bump steer kit. I ordered their 5/8" bolt through style bumpsteer kit, but I'm wondering if I can actually order up their tapered stud and go ahead and get the kit on the car now. I was going to wait until the winter to pull the spindles and have them opened up to 5/8", but I saw where if you initially have the tapered stud you can eventually upgrade to the 5/8" bolt setup. I would assume you can probably go backward to the tapered stud if needed as well?
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Once you drill the spindle for the bolt thru kit, you cannot run tapered anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Once you drill the spindle for the bolt thru kit, you cannot run tapered anymore.
    Right, that part I get. I'm just wondering if I can run the bump steer kit that I already have, now, with a tapered stud if it's even possible to run that with the current kit I have. I was going to wait and just do the bolt through kit this winter, but if I can run now with a tapered stud that would be ideal.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I was starting to have flashbacks of my younger years with having a Mustang on jack stands for longer than a week

Back on the ground and ready for alignment on Monday. It rides MUCH better with these springs and the Bilstein struts. Still have some small adjustments to make, but we are back in action. Now to start knocking out some of the checks Mike and Walt helped me identify to get this thing idling better:
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Those rims are too cool!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Man that looks good! I love those wheels!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thanks fellas!
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Looks good.

Obligatory alignment rack pics. Aligned the car to the factory caster and toe specs and set the camber up front at -1.7 and -1.9. The camber values would change at the slightest touch one way or the other so left it there

Did end up picking up an SCT X4 tuner to do some troubleshooting with codes and there were several. Need to dig into those, but I did flash one of the tunes from SCT and the car runs significantly better. Still have my annoying high idle issue:

Mike, I also got a chance to snap a pic of the ecu and it does look like it's the factory 98 Cobra ECU. I still have a flashing Theft light on initial startup even after the SCT flash:
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Thread Information