Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 98 Cobra Family Cruiser

98 Cobra Family Cruiser

Been Mustangless for a LONG time. Got married, had a couple kids, the usual stuff LOL.

After selling my bike earlier this year because it never got any use I decided to pick something up a little more family friendly. Got a one way flight out to St Louis a couple weeks ago and drove home this 98 Cobra. 73k mile, 2 owner car. First owner had car for 12 years and 2nd owner had the car just a couple months shy of 10 years. Overall it's a clean car, but definitely not perfect. It's got a couple of issues and some things the seller wasn't super honest about, but overall I'm happy with it.

Mods:

-18" Aodhan DS08's (had FR500's on it when I got it, but swapped them out. FR500's will be for sale soon)
    -Eibach Sportlines
    -BBK CAI
    -BBK Gripp CC Plates
    -Smoked Headlights
    -Aftermarket H Pipe and Flowmaster catback

Stuff I need to look into:

-Car is idling high. When it first start it up it will idle down to 1-1200 rpm, but once I drive it for a bit the idle wants to linger anywhere from 15-2000rpm.
    -The clutch cable, quadrant, etc is all jacked up. Was told it had an aftermarket quadrant, cable and adjuster. Whatever is in it is trash. Car doesn't shift worth a damn and there is a super hard spot at the end of the pedal travel. The clutch pedal will also literally violently vibrate at times if I don't rest my foot on the pedal. The FWA is basically adjusted completely out which makes me think the cable is probably some cheap junk that is all stretched out.
    -The car rides like complete ass. It's got Eibach Sportline springs on it and stock shocks. Not good.

Stuff I've ordered and need to get installed on the car:

-MM Quadrant, FWA and Cable
    -MGW Shifter
    -Bilstein HD shocks and struts. I doubt this is going to solve all of my crap ride problems, but I'm going to install these and see how the car does before I go and change up a bunch of stuff
    -MM Bump steer kit
    -4.10's package from LMR
    -Unknown brand long tubes

My goal with the car is just to have a nice cruiser than I can take the boys and wife out in and maybe hit up a couple drag events here and there as I get time.

Super happy to be back!

98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Welcome Back ! Good looking car! Sounds like you a good project ahead of you.
    Joe

Very cool!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Good looking car! Those wheels sure made a difference!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

These cars are the best bang for the buck hands down right now. I like it. I had a low, low mileage 97 triple black one I sold, and sort of wish I'd have kept it. Enjoy. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Good looking car! Those wheels sure made a difference!
    Thanks! I liked the FR's, but wanted something different and lighter. These wheels are flow formed so they're surprisingly light for their size.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    These cars are the best bang for the buck hands down right now. I like it. I had a low, low mileage 97 triple black one I sold, and sort of wish I'd have kept it. Enjoy. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.
    Exactly why I grabbed one. I got it for a pretty fair price even though I had to travel for it. Every one I saw around here guys were wanting $13k+ for clean ones. That wasn't far from 03-04 territory 1-2 years ago.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Nice ride!!! I got a gen2 coyote engine that would be badass in there!

Sweet Vert !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    My son's got an LX looking for a Coyote !!!
    Aaron

F**K Photobucket !!!

Leave me alone

If Aaron above buys that thing do I get commission since this is my thread?!?
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx View Post
    Leave me alone

If Aaron above buys that thing do I get commission since this is my thread?!?
    Sure, ill buy you lunch!

Sure, ill buy you lunch!
    I need to come that bike
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Hmmmm… Only way to keep up with one is to have one!!!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Got a spot cleaned out in the garage for the car. Been hectic with just moving in not too long ago, but it's getting there.

First thing I wanted to tackle was the quadrant. I'm not sure what brand was in the car, but it was a triple hook unit with a really just poor feeling pedal. You can really tell with the MM unit how much better it flows and has a smoother pull of the cable. I also found the old quadrant was just hanging out on the quadrant post with no spacers so it was able to move around freely. I'm sure that contributed to the poop pedal feel I previously had. I was going to replace the cable and firewall adjuster as well, but the car actually has a pretty nice "clicking" adjuster and the cable appears to be exactly like the MM unit I just bought. I did add the little widget deal to this cable as I had way too much slack without it. It's much better now, but I still have a weird clutch pedal vibration at certain rpm.

Snagged a pic of the clutch when I had the fork cover off as I was told it had a newer clutch. All I can see is that it has a white pressure plate. Feels like a stock replacement:

Also found this broken connector on the engine side harness for the TPS. The car idled great without this plugged in, but had some major dead spots in the lower end throttle positions:

Still trying to address some of the issues the car has to make it a nice cruiser. Getting there slowly but surely.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

To get rid of the pedal vibration,go to a parts store, like a napa or KOI, and ask for a clutch spring assortment. There is a place on the trans where you can bend and hook to and the other end hooks onto the clutch fork. It is a tab with a hole in it on the trans. Lengthen it enough that it gently holds the fork back. I used to charge guys to do this. Have done many. It fixes the vibration issue and prolongs the life of the tob. The kit comes with different lengths and stiffness. Pick one and adjust as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    To get rid of the pedal vibration,go to a parts store, like a napa or KOI, and ask for a clutch spring assortment. There is a place on the trans where you can bend and hook to and the other end hooks onto the clutch fork. It is a tab with a hole in it on the trans. Lengthen it enough that it gently holds the fork back. I used to charge guys to do this. Have done many. It fixes the vibration issue and prolongs the life of the tob. The kit comes with different lengths and stiffness. Pick one and adjust as necessary.
    Thanks Mike, I will take a look at that and give it a shot
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Love the wheels on it James. Looks good. Bring it up to NXCoupe's cruise in this Saturday. Glad to see you back in a 2 door. Say hey to L and L for me. We miss them!

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    Love the wheels on it James. Looks good. Bring it up to NXCoupe's cruise in this Saturday. Glad to see you back in a 2 door. Say hey to L and L for me. We miss them!
    Thanks Chad! Wish I could. My son's got a baseball game on Saturday out in Amelia. I actually just saw them a few weeks ago. Invited them to my son's baseball game when he was playing in Morrow. Will do! Hope things are going good for you
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Looks great with the new wheels! Bet the kids love it with the top down. Mine loved it when I had my 94.
    2011 Black on Black GT

Ordered up some H&R Super Sport springs for the car from Maximum Motorsports. Should be here tomorrow. They're the convertible specific springs so I'm hoping those will help out the ride quality a bit. Will throw on the Bilstein struts up front once the springs come in.

Took the boys to get ice cream last night. They absolutely love this thing. Always so excited to go for a ride in it

Wife also got me this kick ass metal Cobra sign for the garage:
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Thread Information