Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 98 Cobra Family Cruiser

http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

lookin good jason. lack of fuel supply will cause ltfts to go high to correct for a lean condition. that constant speed pump as you stated is not designed for the variable closed loop system. good find.

looks great man. im hoping to have something here soon. i have now missed out on three i wax looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    lookin good jason. lack of fuel supply will cause ltfts to go high to correct for a lean condition. that constant speed pump as you stated is not designed for the variable closed loop system. good find.

looks great man. im hoping to have something here soon. i have now missed out on three i wax looking at.
    Appreciate it! It's a tough time to buy for sure.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I'd love to pull that old tune off of your car and see what it looks like.

Crazy what good fuel pressure will do for one!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    I'd love to pull that old tune off of your car and see what it looks like.
    I'm guessing it's just the stock tune with some of the emissions stuff turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Crazy what good fuel pressure will do for one!
    It's the simple things

Dyno tune is officially scheduled for June 16th. Crazy how far out tuners are booked nowadays!
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

DAG! I'm getting old James. (not Jason...haha). Sorry.

DAG! I'm getting old James. (not Jason...haha). Sorry.
    I got a brother named Jason so close enough
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Feels like anytime I do anything to this car I find some mind boggling stupid head issue. Today's find is this beautiful work. I know the shop that did the work on this car and I wouldn't wish my worst enemy take their car there (it's no one local or even in any state attached to Ohio).

This would be the knock sensor harness wedged in between the engine block and the bellhousing. I think the worst part about it is they couldn't get a bolt started because the harness is in the way so instead of trying to figure out why they just left the bolt out completely and tightened the others.

The good news is I now have both top bellhousing bolts out with ease from the top and all of the driver front suspension came out with zero issues. Hopefully get all the passenger side stuff out tomorrow and get started on dropping the exhaust and trans.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Wow, just wow. That is def causing issues.

u have to b kidding me. i cant believe that hasnt chaffed thru and shorted that 12vdc bus to ground causing ax many issues as the loss of a knock sensor. makes you wonder if they have knock turned off in the tune.

Doubtful they are off. That had to be shorted being crushed like that.

Yikes. On the 05 and 11 schematics the knock sensors get their source voltage straight from the ECU/PCM. If that signal is not grounding completely out and is only pulling the source low (not enough to be a short to ground just low resistance to ground) across a low resistance it would be causing all kinds of issues with the PCM bus voltage throughout where ever that voltage is commonly used internally. Likewise the TPS also gets its voltage source from the ECU/PCM. I would guess the IAC may as well though there is no IAC on the 05 or 11 being they are throttle by wire setups. I just hope that has not damaged the ECU/PCM unit internally. If it has this would be one of those extremely rare moments where I would encourage someone to disclose who did the work so others do not fall victim to their lazy and pathetic work ethic. That is not an oversight. That is a rush job by someone who didn't care at all.
    Last edited by redfirepearlgt; 04-02-2022 at 04:22 PM.

Yikes. On the 05 and 11 schematics the knock sensors get their source voltage straight from the ECU/PCM. If that signal is not grounding completely out and is only pulling the source low (not enough to be a short to ground just low resistance to ground) across a low resistance it would be causing all kinds of issues with the PCM bus voltage throughout where ever that voltage is commonly used internally. Likewise the TPS also gets its voltage source from the ECU/PCM. I would guess the IAC may as well though there is no IAC on the 05 or 11 being they are throttle by wire setups. I just hope that has not damaged the ECU/PCM unit internally. If it has this would be one of those extremely rare moments where I would encourage someone to disclose who did the work so others do not fall victim to their lazy and pathetic work ethic. That is not an oversight. That is a rush job by someone who didn't care at all.
    Chad, you very well could be onto something as I always had high idle issues with this car. I replaced the IAC, searched for vacuum leaks and always came up empty. I'm not for certain that is the root cause, but it would definitely make sense.

I got the trans pulled this weekend and found some other interesting things with this car. Here is the knock sensor harness or what's left of it:

The clutch, albeit a cheapy Clutch Max kit that is $279 with a flywheel, looks to be in surprisingly good shape. I was talking to Walter and the theory is that with there being so much separation between the block and bellhousing where the above harness was pinched it could have caused major misalignment issues allowing the clutch to properly grab. The symptom I had was the car would free rev underload at about 4500-5000 rpm in 3rd gear:

If I get time today I am hoping to get the stock k member pulled out so I can start on replacing the oil pan gasket and start getting the LT's installed.

Another fun item I get to fix is that while these ding dongs were smashing the harness in between the block and bellhousing they were simultaneously trying to get that bellhousing bolt started. Instead of checking to see why the bolt wasn't fully engaging my guess is they just kept cranking down on it until the bolt snapped off in the engine block taking a chunk out of the harness with it. Fun times:

The shop in question is a shop near St. Louis. I have an idea, but I truly don't know for certain which shop did the clutch so I can't name any names without knowing for sure.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I dont miss working with jackstands, at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I dont miss working with jackstands, at all!
    I been trying to get Walter to put one in his baller ass garage for years now. That way I can use it
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Making progress! I guess better to find it all now and be able to fix it while its apart. Sucks either way though.

I wouldn't know what to do in Walters garage! Id be afraid to spill something!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Making progress! I guess better to find it all now and be able to fix it while its apart. Sucks either way though.

I wouldn't know what to do in Walters garage! Id be afraid to spill something!
    Exactly. It's just never an easy clutch job lol. Hell, I'm afraid to fart in Walts garage.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx View Post
    I been trying to get Walter to put one in his baller ass garage for years now. That way I can use it
    Thats probably why he hasnt.

Stock K member is out, pilot bearing replaced, rear main seal replace and oil pan gasket replaced. One piece I've been stuck on is this bellhousing bolt that's broken off in the block. I attempted to weld a nut to the bolt by building up some slag on the broken off bolt and welding a nut to it, but the slag isn't enough close to being strong enough to holding while I try to turn the nut once it's welded on. It just breaks off immediately with minimal effort.

Another fun issue I've found. This is the harness from the battery to the block. You can also see someone added the black cable with orange tracer goes from the motor mount bolt to the inner frame rail.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Thread Information