Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 98 Cobra Family Cruiser

I need to make the ground cable from the engine mount to chassis, but other than some fluids this thing is ready to fire up
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Very Cool!!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

looks nice James! You are making me want to put Brembos on my 14 when I get some more money saved up.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    looks nice James! You are making me want to put Brembos on my 14 when I get some more money saved up.
    It was a very budget friendly swap. I needed brakes anyway. Calipers were 128 each, brake lines are the stock replacement Stoptech braided lines, pads and a mounting kit. Uses the stock rotors.

It lives! Got it fired it up yesterday and it runs seemingly good. Going to wait to go any further until my pal comes out this Sunday to help with the 4.10 install. Then I'll be able to put the driveshaft back in and add trans fluid. It goes to get aligned on Monday then have an appointment at Flowtek on the 31st to get the exhaust done.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

sweet.

What model is the TREK on the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    What model is the TREK on the wall?
    2019 Roscoe 8
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Yoos a high rent mofo for real

^^^ He can sell it for gas money LOL!

We all may have to sell the cars and ride bikes haha

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Yoos a high rent mofo for real
    Bro my entire rig cost what your pedals cost. Stop it
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Started the install on the 4.10's. I'm definitely learning a lot, but not sure this is something I want to do again for a long time lol. The right tools definitely go a long way. I'm still working on getting the backlash set. Right now I'm at .036 and I need to be between .008 and .012. I'm going to swap the shims tonight and remeasure and see if I can't get within range. Hopefully the pattern turns out ok after that

98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

4.10's woke my 2002 up bigtime. It was a blast to drive compared to the stock 3.xx that I cannot remember. I barely got it into the 13.s on 2.0 and slower 60's. Should make that car a whole lot more fun than its already going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    4.10's woke my 2002 up bigtime. It was a blast to drive compared to the stock 3.xx that I cannot remember. I barely got it into the 13.s on 2.0 and slower 60's. Should make that car a whole lot more fun than its already going to be.
    I can't wait to hammer down on it to see how much of a difference the gears made. That is probably one of the things I'm looking forward to most.

The car made it out of the garage under it's own power today. I even made a lap around the neighborhood open headers LOL. Going to get an alignment here shortly. I'm also really happy with how the trans / clutch feels. Before I had this weird dead spot at the bottom of the pedal that made it feel like the pedal couldn't go all the way to the floor. I think that was part of the trans misalignment issue to the block. It feels super smooth now and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. It is letting out higher than I like and I need to make some adjustments there

98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Well it made it to the alignment shop and back home. It is LOUD Can't wait to get the exhaust done on it next week.

My pal Adam got the coilovers adjusted up front and got me all aligned. Really liking the stance on this thing
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Wow! Stance & wheels are Sick!

Awesome job James !! Looking at this thread gives me motivation to work on my junk !!
    -----------------------------------------
    Scott
    93 Coupe
    66 Fastback

awesome looking james.

Thanks guys!

Got the exhaust wrapped up yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the way the Magnaflow catback tailpipes look for these cars, but not a big fan of the sound. The car has a Borla S type 99-04 catback on it and it had the huge 4.5" tips that I hated. I found some 2.5" to 3.0", 18" long tailpipes and had them swapped out. The car sounds WAY better, although it is way quieter than I was hoping for.

I still have several bugs to work through, but should be getting the car tuned on the 16th.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quick update on the Cobra. I had a leaky head cooling mod fitting on the passenger side which lead to the car over-heating and I believe popped a HG several weeks back. I haven't gotten a chance to pull the engine out yet, but I've got some nice white smoke out of the exhaust and the car won't ever get up to temp. I've got one of those big white funnel coolant kits where you can adapt the funnel to the reservoir cap. It just never stops lightly bubbling. I was pretty bummed about that and started looking at my options for the repair.

I was pretty set on just pulling the engine out and replacing the head gaskets until I ran across an engine on FB and ended up picking that up for a good price. I have a feeling the engine I'm going to be pulling out is a Mark VIII engine, which isn't a huge deal, but it will be nice having a Cobra engine back in the car.

New unit:
    Teksid block
    04 Cobra crank
    Je Pistons
    Manley H beams
    Melling Oil Pump
    ARP Main studs, rod bolts, jack screws, head studs and cam / crank bolts
    DB 9 Thread C heads
    New valves, guides and BTR SP008-32 valve springs
    Stock 96 Cobra Cams
    Mach 1 "lower" intake manifold

Not sure if I'll have the car back out this year or not, but happy to be moving in the right direction again. I have a bunch of mod motor parts for sale if anyone needs anything.

It's all new, but going to have Barker
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Thread Information