Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 98 Cobra Family Cruiser

Nice find James. Let me know if you need a hand some Saturday. I can hand you tools if nothing else. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    Nice find James. Let me know if you need a hand some Saturday. I can hand you tools if nothing else. LOL!
    Thanks Chad. I may take you up on that when dropping the drivetrain in. Can always use an extra hand when doing that. Barker told me 4 weeks to go through this one which is fine. Gives me plenty of time to get the old one out and prepped for the new to go in. The pump on my cherry picker took a dump so as soon as the replacement gets here I'll be dropping the engine off.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Looks good james.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #2 - 2020 DD Challenge List

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage
    2000 Saleen S281SC - factory "stock"

Took a little longer than I thought, but picked up the engine yesterday from Barkers. Steve did a great job overall and his attention to detail and communication are on point. Can't recommend him enough. I'm excited to get working on this thing again and hopefully get it going just in time for winter

Engine specs:
    Teksid block
    04 Cobra crank
    King Bearings
    JE pistons
    Manley rods
    DB casting 9 thread C heads
    96-98 Cobra cams
    ARP everything
    Modified oil pump pickup with GT500 windage tray
    All new OEM Ford timing components
    Melling High Volume oil pump
    Wonder Racing 8mm billet steel tensioner pins
    Wonder Racing modified primary tensioners

Ground off the knock sensor bosses for the C head intake manifold fitment:

Sweet little MMR valve cover hardware:
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Daaaaamn....Lookin real good!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

sweet. NO mention of compression ratio so I won't assume its going boosted?

I beg to differ!

Haha! I am not 100% sure on the ratio to be honest, but the pistons are JE 314630 which are 9.5:1. I say I don't know because Steve called me last week about an issue with the timing cover upper rail (where the valve cover sits) being .040-.050" over the valve cover rail on the heads. So it sounds like the heads have been decked at some point. He was able to put the timing cover in the bridgeport and mill it down to sit flush with the heads. Stock compression ratio is 9.85:1 so I'm guessing compression is somewhere around stock value. Buttt I know I hadn't posted it yet, but I did pickup a Vortech V2 kit a few weeks ago as well as a 03/04 Cobra T-56, but those are just going to chill in the basement until I'm ready for them. Right now just planning on getting this engine going with the T-45 NA and enjoying it while I work a few things on the side. The problem with the blower is I think I'll start running into some fueling issues and this isn't the simplest of fuel systems to upgrade.

I did get a little bit of time last night to start cleaning up holes in the block with a tap and got the motor mounts and driver header installed. Switched it up to the Bassani mid-lengths as the Pacesetters just fit like poop. These Bassanis are light years better thought out and simpler to install. Might not make what the long tubes did, but I really don't care lol. Also trying to figure out where to route the flexible dipstick.

98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Daaaaamn....Lookin real good!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    I beg to differ!
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

I beg to differ!
    Right. Mine is nearly 11:1 and getting a blower soon. E85, compression and boost are good buddies.

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage

Quote Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
    Right. Mine is nearly 11:1 and getting a blower soon. E85, compression and boost are good buddies.

Yea the boost and low compression requirement has pretty much been thrown in the trash over the past 10 years or so
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0calypso93lx View Post
    Yea the boost and low compression requirement has pretty much been thrown in the trash over the past 10 years or so
    It really depends on the end goal. In many cases the low CR boosted setup has plenty of advantages. It all depends on power requirement, fuel used, turbo/blower etc.

Found some time this weekend to mess with this thing. Got the clutch and flywheel on. Went with the Mcleod Super Street Pro and a Ram Billet Alum flywheel (thanks Walt)

Got the trans bolted up and was able to get everything in from the top even without dropping the K member like I had to do with the old long tubes

Got it dropped in

Test fitting the Vortech coolant crossover and a couple other things. Intake manifold is just mocked up. Going to have it cleaned up before it goes on permanently
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Got this adapter off a dude on SVTperformance forums. This allows the use of the stock B headed upper intake lid on a C head "lower" intake manifold. This allows me to use the stock throttle cable, air intake, etc. It's probably not ideal for flow, but I really don't care and just loved the way the 96-98 upper intake lids looked

Should look something similar to this when done. I need to clearance the adapter in a couple areas still

T56 waiting for a rebuild
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Very cool!
    Whos rebuilding the trans for ya?
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Very cool!
    Whos rebuilding the trans for ya?
    Thanks! I haven't asked him yet, but I was hoping to ask Shannon Meyers if he has any interest in going through it. Word has it that he knows a thing or two about a manual trans so when I'm ready I'm going to reach out.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Looking good james. How did the vortech coolant crossover work out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
    Looking good james. How did the vortech coolant crossover work out for you?

Thanks! It should work just fine. At first I was thinking I had the wrong crossover and the B vs C head crossovers were different but they aren't. What's different with the C heads is that the lower intake manifold tabs protrude forward and actually go under the crossover mounting tabs. There is also a small spacer that must be used when using a Mach 1 intake manifold and that spacer is supplied in the Vortech hardware kit. I didn't think they were any different than 99/01 Cobra IM's, but I guess they supposedly are? I still need to dig through the hardware kit I have in the basement, but i'm sure it's in the pack somewhere. I do wish it were a little more "low profile" as it sticks up above everything quite a bit. I may eventually move to an MMR / Cobra Engineering coolant crossover.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Nice work James

Nice work James
    Thanks pal!
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Thread Information