Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NXCOUPE Pass 5.15.21 E20

Well that would explain the mph loss!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Well that would explain the mph loss!
    If I can ever get some time where I feel like typing it out, I'll post the back story. Comedy of errors.

Ill be looking forward to hearing it! Or reading it!

If it wasn't for story's, we wouldn't have much! Good or bad!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    Ill be looking forward to hearing it! Or reading it!

If it wasn't for story's, we wouldn't have much! Good or bad!
    True, I'll do it in the morning on the desktop so it'll go fast.

So, The Story!

So, I promised I'd write the story of this pass that Chad was so kind enough to video for me. I was in the pits showing chad how the boost control worked, we were talking PID controls, as he is familiar with them as I am. The discussion really helped me to get a little better grip on how to proceed, so I made some changes to them and then I went in and changed the target boost to 14 psi across the gears. I had them progressively adding boost through 2 highest gears(remember, I use 4 gears each pass), and I felt the track could take more. So I loaded that onto the holley, packed the chute and jumped in to get into the lanes. I got ready and pulled up. Did a great burnout, pulled forward to stage, got the lights on and floored it. Thing came up onto the 2 step and had almost 3 pounds of boost. I pulled the trigger on the shoot the light, and the car lifted up and took off. It felt great. Shifts were firm and the car was arrow straight. It shifted into 3rd, then into 4th and I thought, why not push the scramble button to make sure it's working right? (it had been sticking on and doing some stupid crap previously, but we fixed it and this was a repair field test), so I pushed the button. The car jumped up and started pulling like it got hit in the ass by a garbage truck. Then, it nosed over and a bunch of shit hit the windshield. I instantly grabbed the chute lever and then hit the brakes. I got it slowed down and went around the corner, I knew I done blowed somethin up. lol. I got it stopped and put it in park. Engine was idling at 650 or so, oil pressure was 35 to 40 psi, temp was 194, everything sounded, well, normal. I let it run so I could listen to it out of the car. I got out and gathered up the chute and shoved it in the passenger seat. I slammed the door, walked around listening, no smoke, no rattles, nuttin. Got back in, put the steering wheel on, took a deep breath, exhaled, put it into gear and it.......died. Yup, lost fuel pressure and it shut off. Shit. I signaled to a biker I was broke, and he nodded and stopped, I told him to let the ticket guy know I was broke down here. I grabbed one of the little clip on flashlights the wife got me for Christmas, and got over to the 4 position solid state relay from MSD, and traced the supply wire back to the positive distribution post, found the fuse holder, and bam, blown fuse. Not just blown, but melted, bubbly, nearly in flames fuse. lol. Then I realized what happened to it. We had added the fan to the MSD relay so the computer could control it, but we hadn't increased the supply wire gauge, so it just about melted it due to the amps draw. So, turns out Adam had jumped in his car and was coming down to get me when he passed me getting towed back. lol. Thanks Adam! Anyway, the guy on the Edgewater crew was a fantastic guy, really helpful and friendly. We got a tow strap on it and he started towing me back. While being towed back, I realized what had happened. I confirmed it once I hooked the laptop up to the Holley. Remember I raised the target? Remember I was tuning the PID controls? Well, it nosed over because I raised the target, but not the ceiling safeties. So when I hit the scramble it over shot by .5 lbs and that sent it to gate, which nosed it over. Remember the shit hitting the windshield? It was one of those large cluster of gnats I hit at 145 mph, bug guts all over the windshield. lol. So no harm, no foul. I raised the safeties and increased the supply wire to 8g and so far so good. Now you all know 'the story'. Hope you get a chuckle out of it like we all did. Had my nads in my neck for a minute. For sure.

Hahaha, that's awesome! That would sure make a person panic for sure. The perfect storm so to speak, everything happening at the most perfect time.

Glad it wasn't nothing bad and you was able to get it fixed right up after figuring it out.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thanks buddy! Yeah, it was a good, deep laugh of relief and happy nothing serious happened. The bugs on the windshield just cemented the oh shit moment. Lol.

LOL, I did something similar once. I was out on a back road doing some testing and had been running on only gate which was right around 10 psi. I decided to hook up the controller and start putting some power into it and targeted 12psi and it felt good. Upped it to 14 and it felt better. Figured when not set it on 16 right? I made another pull and mid grin it made a pop and killed all the power, so I lifted and coasted over to the side of the road, only to realize it was idling fine, revved fine? I had a 15psi safety setup that I had forgotten about. I just knew I blew it up.
    Rick

Rick90lx@yahoo-dot-com
    6.27625 liters of turbocharged goodness

You know the feeling then. I just knew I blew something. Not to brag on myself, but I don't even lift the hood at the track. I've had a few issues since I put the fan on computer control. Engine was hot through the passes causing timing to be pulled out. So it was down on power a bit.

Thread Information