Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shop

They aren't ever big enough. I really would like to have a 60x100 with 16 foot ceilings and living quarters over half of it. Maybe someday...
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    They aren't ever big enough. I really would like to have a 60x100 with 16 foot ceilings and living quarters over half of it. Maybe someday...
    Mine will be 60x 120+ and is 16ft ceilings. I was thinking what you are thinking. It will have a second floor over all the rooms I build.

Now that's a perfect shop!!!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Looking awesome! Do they build oversized one or two car garages?
    Joe

That does look good. Buddy of mine had his done by the Amish as well and they do great work. I think you'll be happy.
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Whoa! Looking good and all kinds of room for activities!!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Awesome!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    As with any garage, it's not big enough! I'll be adding on once this is paid for and prices fall.
    Lumber prices are fucking nuts.
    Greg
    Midnight Mafia

Greg, yes they are. Now the steel siding is twice as much. I'm still waiting on the cement guy to get in and get this done.

Glad you can at least source materials. I would love to have 20x30 detached garage. This would be epic to have!
    Joe

Thanks everyone. I just want it done at this point. Building has been up since July 27, so next week it will be 2 months without concrete. Guy I contracted with does excellent work, but man, is it worth the wait? Just got the updated estimate fixing the clown's work that screwed up the pad in May, and it's nearly 28k. That's why I'm selling a bunch of stuff. This is killing me financially, but once it's built and I can work out of it, it should be worth it. Looking at it, it looked small, till I realized the 16 ft walls make it look smaller than it is. Should do for now til prices come back down to a sane level. I'll have a barn warming party when it's all done.

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    Thanks everyone. I just want it done at this point. Building has been up since July 27, so next week it will be 2 months without concrete. Guy I contracted with does excellent work, but man, is it worth the wait? Just got the updated estimate fixing the clown's work that screwed up the pad in May, and it's nearly 28k. That's why I'm selling a bunch of stuff. This is killing me financially, but once it's built and I can work out of it, it should be worth it. Looking at it, it looked small, till I realized the 16 ft walls make it look smaller than it is. Should do for now til prices come back down to a sane level. I'll have a barn warming party when it's all done.
    Sucks paying for stuff twice but once its done, it will be a weight off your shoulders. Be nice if you could recover some of the money spent. Either way, it will be nice when its done! I wish I had mine built cause it would be way different.

Ill be sure to swing up when its done!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thanks Brian! If it weren't for all my friends encouragement, I'd of tossed in the towel last year. Be good to have everyone up once it's done.

Set a date and Ill be there!!

This year has been a rough one. We can only hope for a better 2022.
    1992 Gould GT project...

So, I'm going to try to keep this brief. The concrete guy I had signed an agreement with blew me off for 3 months now. I was ranting and raving just having a melt down over it one morning when my wife decided to go through the yellow pages and look up excavators and cement places. I started calling and leaving messages, none of these guys answer their phones, and one actually picked up. He informed me they don't do that type of work any more, and gave me a couple of recommendations to try. One of them was Qvick's cement and landscaping. He called me back that afternoon and showed up at my place that evening to look over the job. That was 3 weeks ago this coming Monday. He gave me a quote that I accepted, and started on it Monday as he said he would. He got all the gravel moved around and basically fixed all the F'ups the first excavator did. He started hauling in gravel truck after truck, and gradually got the floor level and compacted. He used his laser level to get it to where it needed to be. These pics are before he started, then after he worked on it for the first day.

Next, he moved all the garbage slag to the rear of the building, because the concrete engineer said it would be fine as long as there was enough gravel between it and the concrete, plus we put plastic down under the concrete before it was poured, too. He worked most of that day, and told me he'd be back Wednesday to finish prepping. He ended up with about 14 loads of gravel! unreal. But they used a bobcat compactor attachment that hammered this stuff into a concrete-like state. It felt so firm stepping on it. Much better than the loose slag, it was and is garbage.

His buddy James came to let him use his bobcat with the compactor attachment and while Sonny Qvick was inside compacting gravel, he was outside pushing dirt and the slag up the back of the building for support of all that gravel. Dirt on the sides and slag on the back wall.

So Wednesday evening they had it all ready for concrete to be poured the next day. They poured it in sections, back half first, front half on Friday.

So Thursday I was at my desk working and heard some noise, looked up and saw this.

I ran out to watch. They had just started pouring. You can see the plastic on the gravel.

Thread Information