Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shop

So yesterday and today Neil, Adam and I began running wiring in the building and hooking up the breakers. We got the 20A outlets on the north and south walls. We ran the 2 air compressor circuits and ran power to the main overhead light switches. It's finally moving along.

Moving right along now! Hope it stays like that for ya.

If you wasn't so far away, Id come hand you tools or something! Not much help on wiring. I have a good tendency to get shocked a lot!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I got shocked big time disconnecting my air compressor when I moved out. Very very scary.

Good luck on your building. I built a 40x84x16 back in 2017 and then we sold and moved. In the past two weeks I’ve been getting quotes to build the same building at our new house. It’s between 47k-55k more to build now than back then. And that’s just the basic building with concrete, doors and windows. No insulation,electric or lighting.Unreal
    Last edited by JIMS SVT; 03-08-2022 at 09:41 AM.
    2014 CTS V-sport
    2006-teen Black CCSB Powerstroke

Quote Originally Posted by JIMS SVT View Post
    Good luck on your building. I built a 40x84x16 back in 2017 and then we sold and moved. In the past two weeks I’ve been getting quotes to build the same building at our new house. It’s between 47k-55k more to build now than back then. And that’s just the basic building with concrete, doors and windows. No insulation,electric or lighting.Unreal
    Yes, this was supposed to be a 60x120, but had tto cut it in half since building prices are 4 times what they were. Concrete doubled and wiring is 10 times what it cost before. This has been a challenge and a lot of the finishing touches will have to wait until prices come down.
    Good luck with yours Jim. I know I've been going nuts without mine.

Great to hear it coming together

Thanks!
    So due for a much needed update. I had the guy who did my concrete send a guy out with a small backhoe and dig the trench from my house out to my barn. Sounds simple enough but it was close to 300 feet long. Then we rolled out the huge bundle of wire from the barn to the house, and it was barely long enough. After that, we laid conduit and pulled coax, pull string and phone line through it. The next day, the CAT6 wire showed up, so we pulled it through the conduit along with another pull string just in case we ever need to pull another wire through.

Nearly 700 bucks on that cart by the time we left.

Also bought 20 LED 8ft lights. This is just 2 of them lit up.

And our handy cable cart.

Now, I'm just waiting on an electrician to hook up the wires on both ends for power and I can move onto grinding the floor so we can paint it. Then, we get ceiling steel and put that up, and install the lighting afterwards. Once those things are done, which I don't need to rely on anyone to get that stuff done for me besides my friends, we can begin moving equipment in and finally get started turning out work that's been piling up since August of 20.

We ran all of the wiring and hung the box ourselves. The electrician said we did a good job, so I'm happy with it. Thanks to Neil and Adam for helping big time.

Very nice!!! Cant wait to see it finished and you up and running again!

It sucks that 5 years ago you could've built twice the shop for the same amount of money. I wanted to buy some land and do one myself but I think that ship done sailed. Crazy times we are in. Just like the metal and the copper, now concrete is going through the roof and they are putting the fuel surcharge on it.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Electric is connected and working. An old friend of mine came to the rescue and did it up right. It's nice to have power out there now. We energized the wall outlets and the garage door opener outlet. So the door goes up and down sans extension cord now. Small victories. Plugged in battery tenders to the wall outlets. It's starting to feel like it will actually get done now. Next is ceiling and LED lights, then paint the floors.

Last edited by NXcoupe; 04-05-2022 at 02:14 PM.

That's great news! Any luck on the metal yet?
    1992 Gould GT project...

Looking good Mike. Making solid progress
    98 Cobra - Bolt Ons
    2017 F-150 3.5 EB

Thanks guys. Guy says metal should be available on Friday. I just updated previous post with pictures of my friend's work.
    I should know Friday if metal is available or not.

That mole must have been HUGE! LOL!

Looks great Mike. Glad you got power ran. Looks like other than seeding over the electrical run its all interior work now.

Looking good Mike!
    2015 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    That mole must have been HUGE! LOL!

Looks great Mike. Glad you got power ran. Looks like other than seeding over the electrical run its all interior work now.
    Yep. We've been busting ass on it. Stalled a bit this past weekend due to equipment rental issue. I'll update after bit.
    Thanks SN95

Need to do a bunch of updates. Went to Indy and bought metal for 33 bucks a sheet, cash out the door. Loaded it up in the trailer, had no clue how to strap it down, so we just rolled with it. Until..... a guy in front of us looked up from his phone to slam on the brakes, which caused me to slam on my brakes, then the 90 sheets of steel decided to slide forward and hit the bar that holds the drawers shut under the work bench and proceed to bend it into a U, and push out the front of the trailer nose. It also moved the truck about a foot forward and generated a need for an underwear change at the next rest area.
    Got it home, damage to trailer can be fixed, may be a pain, but it can be fixed. Sheet metal siding wasn't really damaged, used a hammer on the damaged sheets as we put them up. Made sure that side tucked under the next in the ceiling.
    I have to thank Neil, as well as Adam and Robbie for coming to help get these panels up on the ceiling. It is a BITCH to hang this shit. Next time I'm letting the Amish guys have at it. I rented a scissor lift, another fiasco, but too much to type. I had to go online and get 'certified' to operate a scissors lift. I have a diploma and everythin.
    We got it down to a science and started knocking these things out. Ceiling looks fantastic.
    I went to Menards to get some firring strips to mount the LED lights to then mount the strips through the ceiling sheetmetal. I bought 20 1x3 crappy ass boards, and it was SIXTY BUCKS!!!!!!! One of these things broke when I picked it up from putting the brackets on for the LED. Sheesh. It's going back, yeah I'm that sour over this. I'll be damned if I turn a 3 buck board into firewood.
    So after the guys helped me with the ceiling metal(which this is actually siding, so it's thicker than ceiling metal), I decided to mount the lights. Later that day Neil and I wired them up, with Neil figuring out which wire went where. I finished up the installs throughout the week as we progressed on putting up the ceiling.
    These 2x6 boards needed to come down first, this is the North wall, as I realized I forgot to take a pic of the South wall before we started putting the sheet metal up. They came off really easily, just used a Wonderbar and knocked it loose with a hammer.

Last edited by NXcoupe; 04-30-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Thread Information