Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: New Shop

We kept hammering away at the ceiling, because we needed the ceiling done and lights up so the floor could get painted. I kept putting lights up and we did ceiling panels in the evenings and weekends until it was done. Didn't take too long, but longer than we anticipated. It is very slow going. Up and down, creep 12 feet forward, up and down, 12 feet forward. sheesh. Maneuvering the scissor lift was a pain at first, then I became a near pro. At least in my mind.

Last edited by NXcoupe; 04-30-2022 at 10:49 PM.

We got the ceiling over as far as we could go due to all the crap out of one of my storage units I emptied out to save on the monthly rent. So we have about 2/3 of the ceiling done, 12 lights hung, so it was time to move onto the floor. I bought this paint in December, yep, last year. It's been sitting patiently in the corner taking up space til now. I rented a floor grinder, yet another long story, and after a ton of self teaching/learning/experimenting, was able to get the floor 'prepped' for the paint to be applied. It was 3 days of my life I will never get back and really don't look forward to repeating. After you spend countless hours fighting this machine that wants to do its own thing and go its own way, and keep it on course, you are left with the sahara desert in your garage. Yep, back in Afghanistan it was for me, inch thick layer of dusty nastiness. Oh yeah, this shit laughs at a broom. I swept till my arms were going to fall off, got it to where you could see the floor, and realized there were a ton of untouched places, so went over a second and partial third time(this was because at the beginning I said it was a learning experience, right? Well, I didn't have the machine set up correctly, so my bad!). Finally it was ready. I had Cam manning the paint mixing station while Neil and I applied the paint. Oh wait, how did I get the desert out of my garage? Well, years ago my wife bought a huge Craftsman shop vac for me, and I went up and bought a new filter, pre filter and a filter bag. That bag is the shit, let me tell you. It worked great, kept the filter from getting clogged and kept suction at height that would make a $1k hooker blush. So after sweeping, I put the water squeegee attachment on it and basically went up and down row after row, until I had vacuumed all the loose stuff up. Then we masked out our sections for painting and began applying the paint. This is not for the faint of heart. Huge thanks to Cam and Neil. I think for our first time, it turned out beautifully. Not perfect, but really, really nice. No, that's not wet, that's dry paint. Yes, it is that shiny. It is polyaspartic paint

Looks awesome Mike. Concrete dust is a pain. Maybe a bigger pain than drywall dust. Delt with that when I ground the walls down in my media room project to get the paint off so I could seal them with Dri-Lok. I did the same thing with a shop vac. Those bags are great and I use them all the time now with a filter on a smaller unit. The floor looks well worth the effort put in.

Ceiling is looking good! Sucks to hear about the trailer.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Floors turned out nice too! Maybe when I build my next one, Ill have them done. Makes it look so much cleaner.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Thanks guys. We are happy with how it turned out. Not bad for 3 guys who didn't have a clue what we were doing. I learned a lot and when we do the next section, it will be perfect. I know not to go with the quick dry next time as the weather was very warm on Saturday so it dried fast. I ordered it in December so it would have been perfect in cold weather. I didn't think it would be april/may before we got it done.

Are you putting your Dyno above or In ground?
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by NXcoupe View Post
    We got the ceiling over as far as we could go due to all the crap out of one of my storage units I emptied out to save on the monthly rent. So we have about 2/3 of the ceiling done, 12 lights hung, so it was time to move onto the floor. I bought this paint in December, yep, last year. It's been sitting patiently in the corner taking up space til now. I rented a floor grinder, yet another long story, and after a ton of self teaching/learning/experimenting, was able to get the floor 'prepped' for the paint to be applied. It was 3 days of my life I will never get back and really don't look forward to repeating. After you spend countless hours fighting this machine that wants to do its own thing and go its own way, and keep it on course, you are left with the sahara desert in your garage. Yep, back in Afghanistan it was for me, inch thick layer of dusty nastiness. Oh yeah, this shit laughs at a broom. I swept till my arms were going to fall off, got it to where you could see the floor, and realized there were a ton of untouched places, so went over a second and partial third time(this was because at the beginning I said it was a learning experience, right? Well, I didn't have the machine set up correctly, so my bad!). Finally it was ready. I had Cam manning the paint mixing station while Neil and I applied the paint. Oh wait, how did I get the desert out of my garage? Well, years ago my wife bought a huge Craftsman shop vac for me, and I went up and bought a new filter, pre filter and a filter bag. That bag is the shit, let me tell you. It worked great, kept the filter from getting clogged and kept suction at height that would make a $1k hooker blush. So after sweeping, I put the water squeegee attachment on it and basically went up and down row after row, until I had vacuumed all the loose stuff up. Then we masked out our sections for painting and began applying the paint. This is not for the faint of heart. Huge thanks to Cam and Neil. I think for our first time, it turned out beautifully. Not perfect, but really, really nice. No, that's not wet, that's dry paint. Yes, it is that shiny. It is polyaspartic paint

That’s looks awesome Mike! I’m getting ready to do mine too, now that I got my lift installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Are you putting your Dyno above or In ground?
    It's above ground. Has a 4 post rotary lift with the dyno behind it. I like it because it can do double duty, I use the rack more than the dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by chad393na View Post
    That’s looks awesome Mike! I’m getting ready to do mine too, now that I got my lift installed.
    Thanks.
    I didn't know you built a shop. Good for you. Now's not the time to build anything.

It's above ground. Has a 4 post rotary lift with the dyno behind it. I like it because it can do double duty, I use the rack more than the dyno.
    How long till you get it in and start tuning again?
    1992 Gould GT project...

Coming along nicely!
    2008 2019 2020 2021 2022 #1 Of The Dirty Dozen
    2018 #2 Of The Dirty Dozen

2024…. Changes coming! How much HP? ALL OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    How long till you get it in and start tuning again?
    Not soon enough. At least we are relying on ourselves and not anyone else to do their job in a reasonable amount of time. Next step is clear put the unpainted portion of the floor and paint that, then put the ceiling and lights up on that section, then equipment comes in. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Not soon enough. At least we are relying on ourselves and not anyone else to do their job in a reasonable amount of time. Next step is clear put the unpainted portion of the floor and paint that, then put the ceiling and lights up on that section, then equipment comes in. Sorry I can't be more specific.
    You're good. Just curious. Once you get set up, Id like to get you to look at the red car again. Nobody under the sun except you wants to even look at the PimpXS. No rush though.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    You're good. Just curious. Once you get set up, Id like to get you to look at the red car again. Nobody under the sun except you wants to even look at the PimpXS. No rush though.
    Be happy to. I'm buying one for red rocket at some point.

Garage is looking good Mike, I would love to have a place that I can build something like that!
    #9 2011 Spring Street Car Shoutout

1991 Mini Tubed Mustang Coupe, in the works.
    351W base, PG, Stock Suspension chassis

Quote Originally Posted by 2Fast4You View Post
    Garage is looking good Mike, I would love to have a place that I can build something like that!
    Thanks Shane.

Spent the morning moving totes over to the painted side. My friend Bill offered to help, bet he's regretting that come tomorrow. Lol. We moved all the totes, about 60 of them and condensed them into a much smaller area. I have a bunch more stuff to move before I can grind the floor. Moving forward.

that place is so big it will need its own area code. when is the grand presentation cruise in?

Cruise in/Dyno day? Sure sounds like fun!
    1992 Gould GT project...

yeah yeah and a cruise to the ice cream place. GOTTA EAT ICECREAM!!!!!!

Thread Information