Thread: 302 ci street/strip carb intake suggestions

302 ci street/strip carb intake suggestions

I know a lot of you have done this a bunch of times. And i dont intend to reinvent the wheel so i ask a little advice from the group here. I am working on a little sunbeam (2500lbs) with a 302 ci hyd roller FMS letter cam. We swapped on some edelbrock aluminum heads with oversize valves. It has 3.73 gears and a tko500 trans. We (dad) uses the car for cruising and takes it to the strip to run some stick car events. It has an aluminum low rise speedmaster dual plane intake (not great but came on the engine). Car runs 12.2-12.3 sec in the 1/4. He wants to wake it up a little with a better intake manifold. There is not much room under the hood so a victor jr or funnel web is out. I am thinking an rpm air gap should make a good improvement or maybe even a weiand stealth 8020. He would like to see some 11 sec passes nothing crazy so looking to pick up some mid range and upper hp up to about 6200-6500 rpm MAX due to the mild ish cam. Right now its done around 6000 rpm. So looking for 10-20 hp. Is that asking too much out of a mild intake swap? Any advice for manifolds and real world experience is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #2 - 2020 DD Challenge List

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage
    2000 Saleen S281SC - factory "stock"

RPM Air Gap is what I use to sell, to my street guys, and they had great luck with it. Great daily driver manners, yet would pull all the way to 6500!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

I always ran the Victor Jr. Some say its overkill but I had some real good luck with it. But the hood clearance will be an issue. Id probably go with the RPM air gap. Another real good intake.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    RPM Air Gap is what I use to sell, to my street guys, and they had great luck with it. Great daily driver manners, yet would pull all the way to 6500!
    That is what i was leaning toward. Do you think 10-20 hp is too much to ask for over the speedmaster intake? It seems like the extra $300 should get me something. Hahaha

1997 Cobra - C heads, Cams, Sullivan intake, long tubes, homemade cai, 4.30, strange axles, e85, chromoly cage

Quote Originally Posted by draggin50 View Post
    I always ran the Victor Jr. Some say its overkill but I had some real good luck with it. But the hood clearance will be an issue. Id probably go with the RPM air gap. Another real good intake.
    Yeah victor jr would be the easy choice if hood clearance was not an issue. I mentioned to dad that a small hood scoop or cowl might make that one possible. He is considering it still. So we may go that way. Always hate to cut a nice factory hood that is almost 60 years old though. The air gap in the mild builds i have read up on doesnt give up much to the jr though through 6500 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by S281SC View Post
    Yeah victor jr would be the easy choice if hood clearance was not an issue. I mentioned to dad that a small hood scoop or cowl might make that one possible. He is considering it still. So we may go that way. Always hate to cut a nice factory hood that is almost 60 years old though. The air gap in the mild builds i have read up on doesnt give up much to the jr though through 6500 rpm.

Id say it doesn't make enough more power to justify cutting up the hood. Ive ran both and it I want to say that power wise was real close the same really. I don't remember exact track times with them though.
    1992 Gould GT project...

I found a pic of the car just to satisfy people like me who like to see hot rods the tiny 205 rear mickey et R radials actually hook with a car this light. Haha.

Seen it a few times there at Kilkare. That's a real cool car!
    1992 Gould GT project...

Sunbeam Tiger! Really cool!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Thread Information