Thread: Got to Go to the Spring Nationals for Work!

Got to Go to the Spring Nationals for Work!

So had the opportunity to go be part of the FCA team at the nats in Norwalk. While in the TSR hospitality tent, this happened.
    https://youtu.be/cS6Z_meqOEU

That was cool. What are they squirting from that clear squeeze bottle into the intake after the car is already started and running? I've seen that done but thought it was a starting fluid to get the car started prior to the engine running. Crazy how those guys are just sauntering around those open header pipes with all of that hot exhaust gas coming out like it were no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    That was cool. What are they squirting from that clear squeeze bottle into the intake after the car is already started and running? I've seen that done but thought it was a starting fluid to get the car started prior to the engine running. Crazy how those guys are just sauntering around those open header pipes with all of that hot exhaust gas coming out like it were no big deal.
    It’s especially crazy when you consider one of the by-products of the combustion of nitromethane is nitric acid.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

1998 Mustang GT
    Coyote Swapped

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    It is nitro fuel, they squirt it in to richen it up to get all the cylinders firing. They do it on the starting line as well. They use 5 gallons of fuel per minute idling. They use approx 10 gal on a pass.
    Best day of work EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
    It’s especially crazy when you consider one of the by-products of the combustion of nitromethane is nitric acid.
    Real men inhale that before breakfast.

Lol. JK.

Oh I remember smelling it when I was up there in 2012 for the Nationals. I used to have a bunch of specs a top fuel dragster like fuel consumed. RPM's per pass avg, amount of power the magnetos generated, and so forth.

The thing I took away from my 2012 visit was how the engine on a top fuel or funny car would go from a real rough idle just before they staged to that smooth sound when the second fuel pump was engaged. I called it the silence before the storm. You cannot hear that even on a nice media room system unless you are listening for it and then only once in a while with the volume way up. Glad you were able to get behind the lines and have a good time. I think you should get extra VIP passes for every active SBZ member. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post
    https://www.sciencemadness.org/smwik...p/Nitromethane

is it a byproduct of incomplete combustion? according to the reaction chain fwith O2 complete combustion generates carbon dioxide, water, and nitrogen. it is a decomposition reaction as i recall since h2o is a byproduct of the reaction. nitric acid is nasty stuff. idlh is 25ppm. 8hr twa is 2ppm. i remember idiots standing behind the cars in the pits while they were running anc sniff8ng the fumes like tards. attendees not crew members. i knew it was carcenagenic but had no idea the byproduct. wow

This is something every gear head should experience! I got to go way back when I was with NAPA. It's amazing how you can feel every time those fire!

Thread Information