Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Ghost Ryder...

Your going to want to use HP Tuners for any Coyote if your going to tune it yourself. All the new stuff you had to go for SCT Pro Racer has eliminated some things you had access to before with the entry level product. You have to be at the "tuner" level now to access some stuff you had access to before at the entry level. I am going to switch to HP Tuners and N-Gauge here shortly as well.
    LS Swapped - Locally hated now

Will keep that in mind. Thanks. All hinges on finding a 13-14GT500 or 13 Boss 302 I can FI. Would like to try centri or turbo for a change. After 4 PD setups I am ready for something different.....I think.

Union negotiations has killed progress this summer. After 2 months of waiting, and coming down to within 2 days of going out on strike, a settlement...if you wish to call it that, was reached. So some of the money saved to survive on can now be redirected to getting the car track ready.

The tune had to be revisited for light throttle tip in and WOT shift points. It failed to make the 2-3 shift at 7800 (which is too high for the car as a street car anyway) so the shift points were all knocked back to 7000 so we can sneak up on a nice solid 7500 RPM shift point. Today the car gets refitted with 305-35-20 Nitto 555 R Extreme DR's because the current 555 G2's (305-30-20's) just aren't able to hold the power at a 50MPH or lower kick down to second gear on the roll. I don't expect them to hook like a 17" or smaller rim diameter drag radial but they should work better than whats on the car currently. I also picked up a pair of used dark stars with R series MT ET street radials (305-45-17) from a guy in Indy for T/T night. The lock out kit and vertical links go on the car this week. So hopefully by 8/30/2019 TT -- if it doesn't rain -- the car will be ready for its first passes. Will post up pictures of the progress this week....not as if there is really much to show.

Woooooo!!

Just got a pair of 305-35-20 tires on the car. NItto 555R Extreme series DR's. These tires hold a lot better than I thought they would. WAY better than the 305-30-20 555 G2 series tires that were on the rear. Car is much more stable under a load. These are for street and the Dark Star paid with 305-45-17 MT ET Street R series radials are for dancing at the track on T/T night.

YAY! Vertical links are in place. Fought a bit but they finally lined up and bolted in. No pics.

Good to hear.

Looks good on there Chad! Ill have to make it down one day when everyone is there to watch!
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Looking good!!!! Yea man the nitto g2 has zero traction. They are flat out dangerous really.

^^^ Its amazing how an increase in just 90 HP can change how a tire reacts. They held pretty well on the 14 with 540ish to the wheels in comparison. They still would break lose but they would grab (unless it was 45 degrees out and cloudy) before the tail started trying to get ahead of the front and then go at a 50MPH kick. My biggest concern is just kicking down to pass someone on a two lane like highway 50 I have to take to go see family. It's bad enough that the state puts in rumble strips on the center which cause enough issues with traction let alone a tire that won't hold as well.

The IRS lockout kit is on and the four wheel alignment is done. Ready to swap wheels and head down Friday night to collect some data and hopefully make a decent pass in spite of the shift points being only at 7000. Wantto verify everything and then have Lund adjust them closer to 7500 at least on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. May leave the 1-2 shift alone just to stay safe.

Good deal!!! What's ur thoughts on the irs lockout?

The IRS lockout and vertical links seem to be doing their job. No wheel hop at all at the track. Car went straight. Had the suspension aligned to BMR's specifications. I also picked up the lower spherical bearings but due to minimizing NVH never installed them. So that was $160 wasted. I do want to pick up the Viking shocks for next season if I keep the car. I am really leaning toward going back to a 13/14 S197 and an SRA. The 60's were 1.82 and 1.75 but there was no wheel hop at all and that is the purpose of the kit. Stock springs, shocks, and arms and a 1.75 at edge-of-being-noprep-water? I'll take that.

The car made two passes Friday night...11.30 at 125 and 11.15 at 126. It shifted fine though there was torque strategy taking effect. Received an updated tune that addresses this as well as raiaing the shift points on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Look forward to getting a little cooler air and making another charge at 10.99.......again. My hope was a 10.7x with the higher HP on this car, but apparently reality is the S550 being heavier among other things is not as efficient with the power as the S197's were.

Easy fix, just make more power.

Looks Amazing!!!
    2008 2019 2020 2021 2022 #1 Of The Dirty Dozen
    2018 #2 Of The Dirty Dozen

2024…. Changes coming! How much HP? ALL OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by redfirepearlgt View Post
    The IRS lockout kit is on and the four wheel alignment is done. Ready to swap wheels and head down Friday night to collect some data and hopefully make a decent pass in spite of the shift points being only at 7000. Wantto verify everything and then have Lund adjust them closer to 7500 at least on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. May leave the 1-2 shift alone just to stay safe.
    How has working with Lund worked out for you? Do they take 3-4 weeks to get a revision tune?
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/ Where all this began!
    http://stangbang.tripod.com/twisted/ Vinny
    1984 Mustang build @craig_btr on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    How has working with Lund worked out for you? Do they take 3-4 weeks to get a revision tune?
    Not at all Craig. I sent a datalog in Friday and got an update yesterday(tuesday). And that was after telling them that I was in no hurry. Tuning for the car originally was handled by Brian at Finishline. Again I told him to take his time and that there was no rush. Can't remember now how long that took. But as for responses to questions and responses for updates they have been second to none. The next closest good experience I had with remote tuning was VMP Performance. They knocked out my 13 GT in a timely manner. The 14 went through 9 or 10 revisions mostly due to getting the trans dialed in. Alex (still at VMP at the time) was great to work with. Learned a lot, and the car drove well. For me its not just the number. It's being able to drive it and the service that determines how good a tuner is. Like Adam once told me (S/M Motorsports), "You can teach a monkey to make power, but tuning for drive ability is where you separate the men form the boys".

Just loaded the tune update I have had since Tuesday. Took it out on the DR's and found a side street in a business park near by and made a hit. No more lost momentum on the 1-2 and 2-3 hits any more. Car runs like a Muscle car at WOT and not so much like some glam'd up fake euro-trash sport sedan from Germany. looking forward to a trip to the track on Friday night to datalog a full pass...IF IT DOESN'T RAIN! GOOD GRIEF! Calling for 40% Friday.

As much as I dislike rain, we need it...

I might try to get the new car out myself this week also.
    1992 Mustang LX Coupe, 302, PA C4 and On3 70mm.
    1993 Reef Blue hatch, 347, 3550, and a kit.
    1992 Gould GT project...

Hopefully it rains on Thursday so we can go to the track Friday!!!

Thread Information